Bike helmet mounts: ideas, pics, etc.?

greenLED

Flashaholic
...Now, they only have it available on specific days, and it is a mad-house around here... plus I usually can't make it anyway. :(

...You had it threaded as if you were wearing it on your head. ... Wouldn't it be great if it could snap in and out of the hinge area easily? Could just leave the base on the helmet and snap the light out when you didn't need it. Velcro only does and un-does so many times.

Yeah, it is a mad-house. IIRC, they open at 9 or so, but there's people who actually set up camp for it. I slept in on the last one, and by the time I got there, the line already went around the block from the store's entrance.

Yup, that's how I had it threaded in. I can be dim like that sometimes.

PT has a "bike" version of the Eos. I called PT CS, and from what I understand, it has the "regular" clip on/off that other LED blinkers have. Sadly, the entire battery cover is different - I tried getting one from them, but they said they weren't compatible. This is after I had already told them I had a "head" Eos, so YMMV... ;)

Darell

Flashaholic
Be interesting to see if I can buy a couple of the bases from them. Then I can try modifying them to fit better without fear of messing one up. I'd think something really nice could be made. Wouldn't it be great if helmets came with some sort of generic attachement point that the light makers could build to? I dream about generic rack mounts for car roofs too... and you see how far along we've come on that score!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
Several thousand of those twofish lockblocks showed up
today (for my store) so I decided to have some fun :)

162921717-M.jpg

162922013-M.jpg

162921154-M.jpg

800 lumens, 9500 lux at 1m :)
Far edge of the flood hitting the camera:
162919211-M.jpg

Hot spot hitting the camera:
162919572-M.jpg

One P3D versus FIVE :D
162919939-M.jpg

Underexposed:
162920096-M.jpg

They look better on my bike :)
162922801-M.jpg

162923118-M.jpg

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I talked to the guy who invented it. He build an entire green house out of
the lockblocks and pvc pipes! :lol:

Idea - I can mount one of those light backwards and put it on strobe for safety :p

Last edited:

cy

Flashaholic
four7, nice job scoring twofish blocks! a reliable source for twofish block has been sorely needed.

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
tb - I think we're all a bit nutty here aren't we? :nana:

cy - yeah i had to order 5k to get the volume discount. I think I'm
going to carry these for a looong time :D

green - does that pic remind you of "close encounters?" :)
Actually it's even more weird with all 5 lights in strobo mode.

Years ago when I first join cpf I saw that classic picture of jtice with 2 or 3 dozen
lights strapped to him. I thought he was nuts. I'm not quite up to trotto standards
but I'm getting there! :D

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
I keep looking for them in the store.... Is the computer burried under the pile? ;)

Did you get all one type? They make several versions, of course.

I got my EOS mod all done and strapped to the helmet. I still want a better way than sending velcro through the slots. Screws up the padding on the inside... and I just got new pads!

4sevens

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep looking for them in the store.... Is the computer burried under the pile? ;)

Did you get all one type? They make several versions, of course.

I got my EOS mod all done and strapped to the helmet. I still want a better way than sending velcro through the slots. Screws up the padding on the inside... and I just got new pads!

It's here :) http://fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=25_66

I've looked at all their products. This one seems to work the best.
You can slide the velcro under the padding :)

cy

Flashaholic
did you happen to order the parallel, light to clamping surface two fish block. normal is 90 degrees. some helmets require parallel blocks.

Darell

Flashaholic
You can slide the velcro under the padding :)

Yeah... still screws it up for me, and I have to detach the padding every time I strap. My solution was to buy extra EOS mounts, and zip tie one mount to the helmet permamently. Then I snap the light into the mount when I want it.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Do you guys have any preference as to where on the helmet you mount your lights? I like to have mine as low and forward as the helmet would allow. I'm thinking a light right on top of your helmet has a greater chance of snagging onto something if I fall.

Any thoughts?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, this is a blatant plagiarism of the concept put forth by 4sevens, but I couldn't help myself. I won't be doing regular night riding with this configuration, but will at least check it out once for the heck of it. Three Fenix L2D Premium 100 lights mounted with TwoFish Bikeblocks. (And personally, as skinny as the L2D lights are, the Bikeblocks are a bit awkward because of the larger "U" than on the Lockblocks. But with my helmet, its designed such that there are easier attachment points with the parallel Bikeblocks.)

In any case, here's something that surely won't suit all tastes (but was fun playing with)...

alexlockhart

Newly Enlightened
Do you guys have any preference as to where on the helmet you mount your lights? I like to have mine as low and forward as the helmet would allow. I'm thinking a light right on top of your helmet has a greater chance of snagging onto something if I fall.
I mount mine (this on a lockblock) about in the middle top, since that's where it fits best. The extra weight is felt mostly on my forehead, though, and I'd prefer I felt it more towards the back of my head - not sure if I can change that.

As for falling safety, it depends on what kind of fall you're preparing for. Typical MTB falls would indeed be likely to snag something if the light were on top, and less likely if it were low and forward, like a camping headlamp would be. However, in a typical fall on the road, especially if a car is involved, the front of the helmet covering my forehead is the most likely to take the most impact. In that fall, having the light mounted up on top out of the way of that would be better.

In any case, if the impact is hard enough to crack the helmet, anything (including the visor and the dumb "aero" back end) on the helmet is going to compromise its safety, by pushing the helmet out of place on your head. A plain round skate-helmet shape with nothing mounted on the outside, fitted and fastened securely, is the best protection in virtually any fall. But bike helmets are designed more for comfort, ventilation, and aerodynamics than for fall protection, the logic being that more people will actually wear the type of helmet we have now than the type that would be safer.

Alex

Darell

Flashaholic

Any thoughts?

My thought are that I agree! Low and in the front for the reasons you mention. And it isn't just about snagging something if/when you fall. I'm constantly attacked by branches, etc - the less they can grab onto, the better. Also easier to reach the device when it is low and in front instead of way up at the top. Only advantage to having it on top is that you could design some sort of head/tail light in one unit for road riding.