Bike helmet mounts: ideas, pics, etc.?

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
Aww, crap. (Apparently, there really is such a thing as mounting too many lights on one helmet. I wonder if the same thing happened to 4sevens...? :shakehead )

070914-044c.jpg

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
  • 3 Seoul P4 leds
  • Kennan (buck) driver modded from 700 to 950ma
  • mount made from piece of abs and 2 Loc Line segments
  • ledil mr16 triple lens, shaved down to fit
  • housing made from 2" 6061 aluminum stock
  • switch + boot from Digikey
The Loc Line allows the light to be adjust easily. Power is run through the abs base up the Loc Line.

3ssc_hl4.jpg

3ssc_hl2.jpg

3ssc_hl1.jpg

3ssc_hl3.jpg

Darell

Flashaholic
Sweet! The driver is inside the Al case? You machined the mount? Do you attach it with Velcro through your helmet vents? And finally... Does the LL not rattle out of place when you go through the rough stuff?

Sorry... too many questions, but I love what you've done! If the LL works well, that opens up all kinds of neat possibilities. I love LL!

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
yes, the driver is in the housing (and shrink wrapped). I don't have a mill, so I had to make the base with a bandsaw and orbital sander to shape. Made the slots with my lathe in mill mode (endmill in the jaws, with the piece in a makeshift vice). I have not taken the light out on a test yet, but I'm pretty sure the loc line won't move (I made the head pretty light). The base will be held down to the helmet with a velcro strap. Made this light for a friend...but I'll post up the results he gets.

dom

Enlightened
Very clever and neat Cytoe
I'd be interested in the durability of the LL after continual use -please keep us up to date.
How did you stick the LL to the mount?

I also think you could make a separate thread as a new homemade bike light -maybe give it a name LLBlaster :)

Cheers
Dom

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Bike light helmet mounts: ideas, pics, etc.?

Quick thread title change.

cytoe - nice!

Last edited:

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
I attached the LocLine on both sides using a bolt. I threaded the Loc Line sides and then hollowed out the bolts so that the power wire could be run. I guess I could have bought the Loc Line part for this, but that would have added to the height...and I didn't have them anyway. I'll be sure to keep an eye on the wear and tear. I've been playing with loc line segments and they don't seem to wear much (if at all). Hmm...LLBlaster...I like that:)

3ssc_hl6.jpg

3ssc_hl5.jpg

The gunk on the bottom is silicone. I put a layer down (and filled the recessed hold) to add grip when strapped down.

Last edited:

Darell

Flashaholic
I guess I could have bought the Loc Line part for this, but that would have added to the height
Just glancing at my parts, I don't think it adds ANY height to use the LL parts that are already threaded

I've been playing with loc line segments and they don't seem to wear much (if at all). Hmm...LLBlaster...I like that:)
They've never shown wear for me either... but then I haven't used them out in the harsh off-road environment. I'd think that if abrasive dust got in there, that things may turn our differently after a while. One easy solution is a boot for the whole thing. Some sort of very flexible tube to cover both links.

cytoe

Newly Enlightened
I only had NPT female connectors. I guess it would only add 2-3mm more (the nut shape part). One way to make a shorter stack hight would be to use 2 NPT female connectors w/ a Double Female Socket. Would make for a lot less work! I like the boot idea. Wonder if shrink wrap would hold up.

mjzraz2

Newly Enlightened
I only had NPT female connectors. I guess it would only add 2-3mm more (the nut shape part). One way to make a shorter stack hight would be to use 2 NPT female connectors w/ a Double Female Socket. Would make for a lot less work! I like the boot idea. Wonder if shrink wrap would hold up.
What's the source for this line lock stuff? I hadn't seen it before, but I had an idea for "something" That would swivel and adjust like that. I was eyeing my kids toys - he has something that looks like it could be modified - plastic pieces with a ball and socket that swivels. I like the idea of a wire being able to go through the line lock.
Is this the same stuff: http://www.loc-line.com/products/index.html

Darell

Flashaholic
Yeah, that's the stuff. There are some knock-offs that aren't quite as good. For the subtle price difference, I sure don't bother with it! I use this stuff for lighting projects quite regularly. Don McLiesh was the first to use it for lights and wiring, I believe - I swiped the idea from him, as usual.

lantern_flex03.jpg

piano-light01.jpg

bench2.jpg

I could go on... but you get the idea. ;)

It can be purchased anywhere that milling/drilling machines and parts are sold. Normally used for coolant.