Binoculars - Compact "Quality" Budget

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do not claim to be any expert on binoculars but I do have a long time interest and am pretty experienced at the lower end of the market.

First, any binoculars at below $100 is strictly budget and can be of pretty horrible quality - one cannot buy by specs alone - otherwise all 8x40 binoculars are going to be the same..... which is obviously not true.

All the binoculars in this ad-hoc review cost me less than $100 - yes, some sell for over $100 even at street prices like the Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 averages $130 - but I wait for opportunities that allow me to purchase those (legitimately) at below $100.

Some may laugh and say that if I had used all the monies I paid for those budget compact binoculars - I could have afforded a really nice pair of the more modern Chinese binos like the Zen-Rays.

This is true, but I've accumulated these binos over the past 20 years - and the remarkable valued Chinese binos were not available until fairly recently - overall I have no regrets and it has been fun "collecting" these - without being conscious of collecting.

Besides I really like compact binoculars - despite the fact they cannot resolve as much detail as full- or even mid-sized binoculars. But I like the way they fit my hand and usage - and also because they are very portable so they can go with me - whereas a bigger more expensive pair may stay at home.

Also because of the physical optical limitations of compact binoculars - I would be reluctant to pay more than about $200 for them - as they can't get that good anyway - hence a $100 budget.....

My story dating back to the late 80's is similar to Stephen Ingraham in his article:
on Compact Binoculars (used to be called Pocketful of Birds)

But I did buy my Nikon Venturer II 8x23 after I read the Consumer Report article on Binoculars.

Another point: I had an attempt at comparison before (5 years ago) in Post #14 of A good pair of binoculars? (over at BladeForums)

My methods - explained shortly have not changed much - but I have tried variations.

Line up:
binoculars100407.jpg

Method:

I put up a lens testing optical test target:
PatersonTestTarget.jpg

step to a distance when I could only just resolve the finest lines of the black and white panel (toward the bottom right corner) - this actually coincided with just being able to read the printing in the bottom right corner (so I used that as a double check) - ie: being able to see just slightly better than the image is displaying on the screen (due to the photo size/resolution limitation).

I did this outdoors in good light:
out100407.jpg

Then indoors in poorer light:
dim_shade100407.jpg

Then a more acid test somewhat against the light:
againstLite100407x.jpg

The comparison light levels were (using my exposures):

Outdoors: LV/EV = +13 or about 4,000 foot-candles = 43,000 lux
Indoors: LV/EV = +1.3 or about 1.3 foot-candles or 14 lux
Against the light: LV/EV = +3.8 or about 7 foot candles or 75 lux.

So the indoors and against the light levels were substantially lower than the outdoors scene.

I "read" the chart multiple times with each pair of binoculars confirming the distance positions I double checked being able to resolve the finest b&w lines with just being able to read the printing at the bottom of the chart.

Overall margin of error and confidence in distances to see the finest lines on the chart would be within about +/- 4 inches.
Allowing for about +/- 2 inch distance measurement error, and about +/- 2 inch reading position error.

Outdoors:

Nikon Travelite V 8x25 and Nikon Venturer II 8x 23 - tied at 35ft 5"
Nikon SportStar 8x25 - 33ft 1"
Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 - 28ft 9"
Minolta UC-II 6x16 - 27ft.

Indoors:

Nikon Travelite V and Venturer II again tied at 18ft
Nikon SportStar - 16ft 1"
Pentax Papilio - 14ft 11"
Minolta UC-II - 11ft 6"

Against the light -

Nikon Travelite V and Venturer II tied at 21ft 3"
Nikon SportStar - 19ft 2"
Pentax Papilio - 12ft 6"
Minolta UC-II - 11ft 3"

In all situations the Nikon Travelite V 8x25 and Venturer II 8x23 (now long discontinued) tied and came top.

Next were the Nikon SportStar 8x25 which really surprised me as these are cheap roof prism which is normally a no-no for quality, and I paid less than $20 new for these (if you can get these they normally average about $50).

The Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 which gandered a recommendation at ConsumerSearch.com came in next.

Pulling up the rear were the tiny Minolta UC-II 6x16 (also long discontinued) - but look at their size and the objective at only 16mm.

Now the calculations:

Using the Nikon Travelite and Venturer as 100%
we have to allow for the lower magnifications of the Pentax and Minolta
the Pentax would have to use a factor of 8/6.5 and the Minolta a factor of 8/6 to be directly comparable -ie: like they were of the same magnification.

Outdoors:

Nikon Travelite V 8x25 and Venturer II 8x23 tied 100%
Nikon SporStar 8x25 = 93.4%
Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 = 81.1% but correct for magnification = 100%
Minolta UC-II 6x16 = 76% but correct for magnification = 101%

So optically under close to ideal conditions these binoculars are about the same quality theoretically if they were of the same magnification - with perhaps the SportsStar falling just a little behind.

More adverse conditions -
indoors darker -at about LV= +1.3

Nikon Travelite V ad Venturer II tied 100%
Nikon SportStar = 89%
Pentax Papilio = 83% - with correction = 102%
Minolta UC-II = 64% - with correction = 85%

again with correction the Pentax kept up with the top Nikons - but what happened to the Minolta UC-II why did it drop from a corrected 101% outdoors to a poorly 85%?

Well it was the lower light levels the Minolta UC-II has an exit pupil of 16/6 mm = 2.67 mm - compared to the 3.12mm of the Travelite V; 2.88 of the Venturer II; and 3.23mm of the Pentax Papilio - so its image brightness is only 73% of the Travelite V, 86% of the Venturer II, and 68% of the Pentax Papilio - so in the dimmer conditions this made a difference.....

Against the light -

Nikon Travelite V and Venturer II tied = 100%
Nikon SportStar = 90%
Pentax Papilio = 59% - with correction = 72%
Minolta UC-II = 53% - with correction = 70%

Notice how both the Pentax Papilio and Minolta UC-II have dropped quite noticeably even when corrections are made?

Why?

It's flare reflections that make being able to see difficult - the Papilio has a plain sheet of glass at the front end of the binos:
Papilio100408x.jpg

even though it is obviously multi-coated it probably causes more internal reflections which rob the binos the ability to see

Compare with the Travelite V:
Travelite100408.jpg

with the multi-coated objective bared.

The Minolta has an unusual design:
Objectives.jpg

compare it to the Nikon Venturer II top (marked 8x 23)
probably because of its ultra compact nature it also has more internal reflections that rob its ability to see under more adverse conditions.

Notice also that even for the 100% Nikon Travelite V and Venturer II - that their distances were noticeably lower indoors where the lighting was lower - 60% for against the light, and 51% for lower light.

This illustrates how these compact binoculars are good for bright outdoors but are at a disadvantage when the light dims.

Prices I paid for the available binos - Travelite V 8x25 - $59, Pentax Papilio 6.5x21 - $71 and Nikon SportStar 8x25 $20.

So after all these years and other compact binoculars the Nikon Venturer II 8x23 still stands as my benchmark,

The Travelite V 8x25 does match it - but its field of view is narrower - which disturbed me initially - but I have gotten used to it - however still wish it were wider.

The Pentax Papilio is amazing not just because of its optical quality (under good conditions) but because it can focus as close as 0.5 meters or 1.6 ft that is amazing.

The Minolta UC-II 6x16 is amazing just for its size and it does perform well for what it is......

So no regrets - and its been a lot of fun for me.

For basic information and some recommendations please see

ConsumerSearch.com on Binoculars

For good basic grounding read their Full Report.

Hope this was interesting for some.

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just an update - there is or will be a new Nikon Travelite -
it's called the Travelite VI in the rest of the world
whereas Nikon USA is just calling it the Travelite.

The USA model # 7277 for the 8x25
(Travelite V 8x25 USA is #7508 )

Nikon USA page for the new #7277 Travelite 8x25
7277_TraveliteVI_8x25P.jpg

Nikon USA page for #7508 Travelite V 8x25 - the model I compared above.
7508_TraveliteV_8x25P.jpg

They kind of look very similar.

Last edited:

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
More follow up...

one of life's mysteries solved....
OK, maybe not so dramatic -
for a while now I had been "jealous" of a Nikon Travelite EX model
that adds water- and fog-proof (very desirable feature)
seemingly available anywhere else in the world other than the USA
(one can buy it from Canada).

That is until I looked more closely at the specs of the Travelite EX (8x25) and noticed that it had a field of view of 6.3deg -
this is noticeably wider than my Travelite V 8x25 at 5.6deg (one of my complaints about the Travelite V - that's why I noticed) -
what gives?
so maybe the Travelite EX isn't just the regular Travelite with water- and fog- proofing.

So I downloaded the latest pdf Nikon (international) catalog of Sports Optics 2010-11 ( Brochure Download ) and looked more carefully at the pics I could find on-line and the specs of the Travelite EX.

Nikon Travelite EX at Nikon Global site

NikonTraveliteEX8x25P.jpg

That's when I noticed in the USA the Nikon ProStaff ATB 8x25 looked suspiciously too similar both in specs and pics.
NikonProstaffATB8x25P.jpg

and I started to strongly suspect that the ProStaff ATB 8x25 are actually the same binoculars as the Travelite EX 8x25 elsewhere in the world....

Nikon ProStaff ATB 8x25 on Nikon USA site

(also there is no ProStaff model in the pdf international catalog)

Finally doing a search on Travelite EX vs. ProStaff ATB - I found this thread/post #7 (link) on BirdForum that seems to confirm my suspicions.

Better confirmation BirdForum review page on the Travelite EX/ProStaff ATB

Of course finding the US model means that the purchase price can be lower - eg: from Canada the Travelite EX 8x25 is about $140, whereas in the USA the ProStaff ATB 8x25 is closer to $90...
still I think the regular Travelite V 8x25 is better value -
it is true that they might get ruined by a downpour -
but then again one probably can just buy another pair......

Last edited:

Yellowstone

Newly Enlightened
Thanks Vincent for the excellent review. About 10 years ago I spent around $100 for the Travelite IV (predecessor to your V model) and still consider it one of the best purchases of optics I ever made. I looked through a lot of compact binocs back then and I couldn't believe Nikon would sell one of that quality for that price. You truly got a bargain on a great binocular!

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks Vincent for the excellent review. About 10 years ago I spent around $100 for the Travelite IV (predecessor to your V model) and still consider it one of the best purchases of optics I ever made. I looked through a lot of compact binocs back then and I couldn't believe Nikon would sell one of that quality for that price. You truly got a bargain on a great binocular!

Many thanks for your input and confirmation - the Nikon Travelite series and its immediate predecessor the now semi-legendary Venturers - normally have to be seen through to be believed - it almost doesn't matter what anyone says (other than over-expectations) they normally exceed what is normally expected.

Certainly in the past just a few 10's of years ago the difference in quality can be quite shocking to find these tiny compact binoculars out performing many behemoth full-sized binos with numbers like 12x50 etc.

eg: Nikon Venturer II 8x23 (long discontinued) from the BetterViewDesired Compact Binoculars article:

" ( A side note for those who don't recall the Nikon Venturer story: Back in the late 1980s, Nikon was coming to the end of their planned life cycle for their Venturer II compact binoculars. They were going to replace them with the first of the Travelite compacts and had announced the end of the Venturers to their dealers. Then, Consumer Reports came out with a compact binocular test report that rated the 8 x 23 Venturer II as the "Best Buy." It was rated as good as, or better than, even some expensive high-end compact roof prisms like Zeiss, with the highest total score of all 25 binoculars tested. Naturally, everybody and their cousin suddenly had to have a Venturer II. The result of the demand was that Nikon went back in production on the discontinued Venturer II and kept making them unchanged for more than four years, until the end of 1993, when the were finally discontinued for the last time. Such is the power of Consumer Reports. ) "

Nowadays due to computer design and manufacturing the gap has narrowed a bit -
but for some reason still the Nikons always just seemed to be a bit sharper.

...and you're right, at this end - "budget" Quality Compact Binoculars are almost an oxymoron to bino aficionados.