Blade Material: 440c vs 154cm

NA8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Bark River came out with a stainless steel version of their popular Bravo-1 (normally A2 steel). The steel they used was CPM-154, a powdered metal version of 154cm. The sales pitch on this website discusses the virtues of the powdered version and has a couple of micro-structure pictures comparing the two steels. Unfortunately this baby is a bit more than I'd want to pay. Not what I'd post in the Good Deals forum. Mostly for big fans, collectors, etc.

http://www.knivesshipfree.com/Bark-...Canvas-Micarta-Matte-Finish/product_info.html

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
As for edge retention, the other steels that you mentioned are certainly better than 440C. But my experience is that they are not that much beter. But some of the exotics are certainly a bit better at attracting rust. Look at ZDP-189. As mossyoak pointed out, Sal has to sandwich this exotic in between 440C because it'll rust so easily.

But as far as D2 goes, oh yeah it's got extremely good edge retention over 440C, and practically over everything else out there too.... And you need the patience of a Saint in order to sharpen a dull D2 blade. That, or access to some laser-sharpening equipment.

ZDP-189 doesn't have to be laminated, but laminated is cheaper and easier to work with. Some Spydercos have solid ZDP blades; CF Stretch, ZDP Endura and Delica.

I EDC a ZDP Stretch and there is no rusting and it stays sharp for ages. A bit of a ***** to sharpen though.

D2 is easy compared to ZDP:nana:

For most users all the higher end steels will perform very well. If one is inexperienced with sharpening and don't have a good sharpening kit some of the higher end steels are a nightmare to sharpen.

There are several reasons to use carbon steel in outdoor fixed blades; cheaper, better toughness, smaller carbides and tradition.
I like A2 in my fixed blades, but 52-100 and several other carbon steels are very good. AFAIK there aren't any stainless steels out there that will beat good carbon steel in performance. The only advantage they have is ease of maintenance:whistle:

That said I like stainless in my folders since they are harder to clean.

Sverre

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got a Benchmade minigrip in 440C and I think it sharpens easier than S30V. I have never seen either rust but wouldn't think twice about trusting it as my only knife...

guyg

Newly Enlightened
I am a discriminating buyer. I would preferre that all of my knives are BG42. But since that isnt going to happen, I can sharpen. Of my knives, BG42 takes the most time to sharpen and Bucks 420hc is the easiest. Everything else is a stroke or two of being the same.

Latest posts