BLF GT94 vs HID. LED has surpassed HID in my opinion.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: BLF GT94 vs HID. LED has finallly surpassed HID in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by XeRay View PostI haven't seen you retract your claim regarding 8 lb lights and promotion of the Super-Power.

Explain this thread.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ision-ULTRA-80-85W-Super-head-mod-SIGN-UP-NOW .
Pretty easy to explain, We were selling ballast upgrades to primarily people that had mostly purchased from Lemax not XeVision. Only one was a SuperPower from us, and it was special ordered. As I stated before we have always discouraged SuperPower purchases from a practical position, however if a customer insists, we don't refuse. We have only EVER sold, I believe 2 SuperPower heads, and possibly 3 but pretty sure ONLY 2. One in that ULTRA 85 upgrade limited editions and one to a guy in Australia, he only bought the head from us. Look at this thread below from almost 4 years ago.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...er-HID-Light&p=5046187&viewfull=1#post5046187

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

Magio, how does the GT94 compare to Vin's Mateminco MT90vn+ which I have?

Also, having bought the last Lemax 85W from XeVision, I can verify that Dan discouraged me getting the Superpower head because of the weight imbalance. I made a good choice.

Magio

Enlightened

Pretty easy to explain, We were selling ballast upgrades to primarily people that had mostly purchased from Lemax not XeVision. Only one was a SuperPower from us, and it was special ordered. As I stated before we have always discouraged SuperPower purchases from a practical position, however if a customer insists, we don't refuse. We have only EVER sold, I believe 2 SuperPower heads, and possibly 3 but pretty sure ONLY 2. One in that ULTRA 85 upgrade limited editions and one to a guy in Australia, he only bought the head from us. Look at this thread below from almost 4 years ago.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...er-HID-Light&p=5046187&viewfull=1#post5046187

If you go back and read my original post I only sayed that you built or had a hand in building the Superpower. I don't see how anything you stated so far contradicts that even if you only sold 2 or 3. No where did I ever say you were promoting it. I will admit though that I did not realize that you had actively discouraged people from buying it. So my claim of bias on that account is wrong and for that I apologize.

Still waiting for proof that the GT94 does not have the performance the manufacturer states it has though.

Last edited:

Magio

Enlightened

Magio, how does the GT94 compare to Vin's Mateminco MT90vn+ which I have?

Also, having bought the last Lemax 85W from XeVision, I can verify that Dan discouraged me getting the Superpower head because of the weight imbalance. I made a good choice.

I don't have the MT90vn. From a specs point of view though the MT90 is a dedicated thrower. I think Vihn estimated about 5500lm and he measured it at 3.3million lux. The GT94 is not such a dedicated thrower. The hot-spot for the GT94 is a lot larger than that of the the MT90. It was measured at almost exactly 20k lumens and between 1.4 and 1.6million lux. Also the MT90 is a lot bigger than the GT94. The GT94 is about 5.7lbs without batteries. The MT90 is about 7.5lbs without batteries. The stock MT90 cannot run on turbo continuously without damage to the driver. Vihn's modified version can. The GT94 can run on turbo without stepping down from the factory. It's needs no modifications.

Last edited:

richbuff

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have both the MF05 and the GT94. The MF05 is identical to the MT90, except for the different branding, Astrolux sted Mateminco. The GT94, at long range, has a moderately larger hot spot and a little bit less throw than the MF05. With one, you get the absolute longest LED thrower, and with the other you get a little bit less throw but a larger hotspot and more lumens. Both lights have absolutely astonishing performance. I have a Vinh modified MT MT90 de lens spec B on the way to me.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Still waiting for proof that the GT94 does not have the performance the manufacturer states it has though.

I am still waiting for proof of its long term durability and run times at comparable to SuperPower HID stats. Since it weighs as much as a SuperPower, that's what it should be compared to.
Run times, how hot it gets in the hand, how hot the batteries get, how hot the LED(s) get at the junction, etc.

Magio

Enlightened

I am still waiting for proof of its long term durability and run times at comparable to SuperPower HID stats. Since it weighs as much as a SuperPower, that's what it should be compared to.
Run times, how hot it gets in the hand, how hot the batteries get, how hot the LED(s) get at the junction, etc.
I've shown what it can do at a level that far exceeds the Superpower, except junction temp and I will not be measuring that, and you said its not possible. Once you turn it down to the level of the Superpower it will be even more sustainable. So I'm still waiting for you to show proof that it's not possible...

BTW I posted this in post #4.
Durability wise maybe those very expensive HID lights still have an advantage,I dont know, but performance wise there is no comparison.
Also if you go back and read post #20 I stated this
I will certainly concede that the higher priced HID lights are almost certainly more reliable and durable, however that is not to say that this light is not reliable or fragile.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've shown what it can do at a level that far exceeds the Superpower

When and how have you ever shown or compared it to the performance of the SuperPower, let alone "far exceeds" it?

Magio

Enlightened

When and how have you ever shown or compared it to the performance of the SuperPower, let alone "far exceeds" it?

I'm about done with this whole conversation because you obviously aren't paying attention to what you are reading. These are two different kinds of lights so they can't be directly compared but when it comes to the overall lumens, I and many other people have shown that yes the GT94 far exceeds the Superpower. A more apt comparison would be the Superpower Vs the MT90vn.

And I'm still waiting for you to prove anything you've stated in this thread. I notice you keep ignoring that part of my post.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

I don't have the MT90vn. From a specs point of view though the MT90 is a dedicated thrower. I think Vihn estimated about 5500lm and he measured it at 3.3million lux. The GT94 is not such a dedicated thrower. The hot-spot for the GT94 is a lot larger than that of the the MT90. It was measured at almost exactly 20k lumens and between 1.4 and 1.6million lux. Also the MT90 is a lot bigger than the GT94. The GT94 is about 5.7lbs without batteries. The MT90 is about 7.5lbs without batteries. The stock MT90 cannot run on turbo continuously without damage to the driver. Vihn's modified version can. The GT94 can run on turbo without stepping down from the factory. It's needs no modifications.

Thanks for that feedback! I appreciate it. I suspected what you said would be the case from your excellent beamshots. We can enjoy all the various lights we have--no matter what questions may arise about details. That's the most important thing! I think you are right that you have exhausted what you are trying to say in this thread. Peace Out!

DayofReckoning

Enlightened

I'm about done with this whole conversation because you obviously aren't paying attention to what you are reading. These are two different kinds of lights so they can't be directly compared but when it comes to the overall lumens, I and many other people have shown that yes the GT94 far exceeds the Superpower. A more apt comparison would be the Superpower Vs the MT90vn.

And I'm still waiting for you to prove anything you've stated in this thread. I notice you keep ignoring that part of my post.

This right here is why I exited from the previous thread on this topic, as I could clearly see that my dismantling of every single strawman argument and every single erroneous claim that they presented, which you have also done here, simply had no effect whatsoever. I could also see that hard data and proof of my claims was only being met with generic, non specific responses like " LED cannot match HIGH END HID" and complete disregard for the data that contradicts their claims.

I suspect this may have to do with people's personal Financial Investment/Stake in HID searchlights, and I would tend to believe this maybe a cause of conjunctive dissonance.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I've shown what it can do at a level that far exceeds the Superpower, except junction temp and I will not be measuring that, and you said its not possible. Once you turn it down to
Junction temperature can be approximated with a measurement of the heatsink as close to the die as practical then account for the cumulative thermal resistance between the measurement point and the junction (i.e. heatsink:air, MCPCB:heatsink, LED:MCPCB).

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

Junction temperature can be approximated with a measurement of the heatsink as close to the die as practical then account for the cumulative thermal resistance between the measurement point and the junction (i.e. heatsink:air, MCPCB:heatsink, LED:MCPCB).

I am sure the designer and possibly the manufacturer have some very good knowledge of what the junction temps are. There are usually Thermistors even located on the PCB, to measure the temperatures VERY near the junction.
Yes the junction temps can be closely measured with IR technology.

When Magio in the past mentioned Heat sink surface temps of around 100C (not F) in Turbo that's a sure giveaway.
We all know that Lumens alone are only part of the spotlight performance equation, Candela (Candlepower) and ultimately the Lux distance values between say 1 Lux and 1/2 Lux distances would be needed for a true assessment.

I suspect this may have to do with people's personal Financial Investment/Stake in HID searchlights, and I would tend to believe this maybe a cause of conjunctive dissonance.

I believe its "Cognitive Dissonance" not Conjuctive as you stated. When you point one finger at others, your are often pointing 3 other fingers at yourself. Those with strong electronics, heat management and optics knowledge will clearly see the gaping holes in both sets of your arguments, Both you and Magio.

Your LUX numbers here are impossible, maybe Candela (or CP), but absolutely not LUX.

Last edited:

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

It's not so impossible, except for making holes and installing thermocouples, but you can get even closer like this - turn it on to the maximum, wait until it heats up, turn it off immediately and direct it through the glass to the diode and the board around the pyrometer. So we will see the temperature of the crystal itself and the board around it. Turning off the flashlight is necessary only in order not to mislead the pyrometer. Reflector and glass can be removed for greater accuracy. A high-quality pyrometer Testo / Fluke costs about $ 40-100, which is not a problem these days.

testo-830.jpg

Can also take a pyrometer from the nearest hospital for one evening or measure the temperature of the lantern right in their yard so that they don't think that we want to steal it.
pirometry

pirometry

Magio

Enlightened

It's not so impossible, except for making holes and installing thermocouples, but you can get even closer like this - turn it on to the maximum, wait until it heats up, turn it off immediately and direct it through the glass to the diode and the board around the pyrometer. So we will see the temperature of the crystal itself and the board around it. Turning off the flashlight is necessary only in order not to mislead the pyrometer. Reflector and glass can be removed for greater accuracy. A high-quality pyrometer Testo / Fluke costs about $ 40-100, which is not a problem these days.

testo-830.jpg

Can also take a pyrometer from the nearest hospital for one evening or measure the temperature of the lantern right in their yard so that they don't think that we want to steal it.
pirometry

pirometry

I haven't tried it but a thermal camera or infrared thermometer cant see through glass can it? The head is bigger than any tool I have to remove the front bezel to be able to remove the glass.

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast

I haven't tried it but a thermal camera or infrared thermometer cant see through glass can it? The head is bigger than any tool I have to remove the front bezel to be able to remove the glass.

The pyrometer understands radiant radiation, transparent glass is not an obstacle. You need a pyrometer, not a thermometer, he sees through the glass. I measured the temperature around the diode of my flashlight with TIR. It must to see at least from -30 to 400 degrees Celsius. More powerful pyrometers that see 1700 degrees Celsius and above are not needed here and they are expensive.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

The pyrometer understands radiant radiation, transparent glass is not an obstacle. You need a pyrometer, not a thermometer, he sees through the glass. I measured the temperature around the diode of my flashlight with TIR. It must to see at least from -30 to 400 degrees Celsius. More powerful pyrometers that see 1700 degrees Celsius and above are not needed here and they are expensive.

There are also IR sensors ( FLIR ONE ) available with an app to use with an I-phone or Android smart phone.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic

I am sure the designer and possibly the manufacturer have some very good knowledge of what the junction temps are. There are usually Thermistors even located on the PCB, to measure the temperatures VERY near the junction.
Yes the junction temps can be closely measured with IR technology.

Accessing the onboard thermal management may be less practical than using an instrument. I was originally thinking of some sort of contact device on the heatsink, however some sort of remote detection - ala thermal imager or non-contact thermometer - would also suffice for estimating purposes.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've shown what it can do at a level that far exceeds the Superpower, except junction temp and I will not be measuring that, and you said its not possible.

I never said measuring Junction temperature or at lease something very very close to that was impossible. I said your temperature measurements do not reflect in any way what the junction temps are, except that they will be very high.
We have quite a bit of experience at XeVision measuring junction temps, (very very close to actual and which will be slightly higher) from Thermistors mounted adjacent to the LED's and using FLIR.