Blow the diode on a green laser from POT turned up

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
Im new and wondering how much can you turn the POT up on a GLP before you would blow the thing or is there a certain mA you can go up to?

I know that you shouldnt go past 500mA but does it stop turning?

Open to all!!

Myx

Newly Enlightened
On a Leadlight 5mW - Just turn it up full, there shouldnt be a problem. To get it around 500mA - you'd have to start changing surface mounted componenets...

And no, the potentiometer doesnt stop turning, if you turn it too far, it will eventually end up back at allowing a minimum amount of current through...

You'll know if you go too far, as the laser wont work when you press the button down... if this happens, just turn the pot slightly back in the opposite direction.

Myx

Newly Enlightened
Also be carefull whilst doing it - it can easily break. Then you've got a tiny piece of metal missing from your driver circuit which is rendering your laser useless.

LeaKeD

Newly Enlightened
I found a pot on my red laser, yes I know green and red are totally different, but when I turned up the pot on the red it got ultra bright but I turned too far and it went ultra *not-bright* so I turned it back the opposite direction to find that Ultra Brightness and it wont go anywhere near how bright it was.. can this also happen with a greenie ? if you turn the pot to far and it restarts at low current you wont be able to get Max current anymore even if you turn it back.. ???

Fussy

Newly Enlightened
What about shorting the pot will that make it blow above 500mA?

Myx

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Fussy said:
What about shorting the pot will that make it blow above 500mA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah Id assume doing that would take the current draw into those kind of levels....

I havent tried it myself, but a few forum members have - hopefully they'll reply for you.

Shiftlock

Enlightened
My Leadlight draws around 550mA with the pot shorted to the case. Incidentally, the metal on the top of the pot must be aluminum, because solder does not stick to it. I had to jam a wire under it to get a connection, but it's not tight so the power jumps around. I have "Aluminum Solder Paste" which I am going to try. I've bever used this stuff, so I don't know how well it will work. How have other people who have permanently shorted the pot done it? I'm still waiting for one of my power meters to arrive (I have 4 different units on the way) to get an accurate power reading of this laser and my bigger one.

zumlin

Enlightened
Re: Blow the diode on a green laser from POT turne

I also stuck a piece of wire to short the POT to the case and my power doesn't jump around at all. Mine is quite permanent if you don't open it up.

Fussy

Newly Enlightened

So why couldnt you take the pot off and extend the wires - there has gotta be someone here good enough at soldering to do that - then you could have the pot on the outside and adjust it all will??!!

sbk

Newly Enlightened

Shiftlock, if you want permanently shorting the pot, I have pictures on my website on where you have to sold instead direct on the pot... Too big pictures to place on the forum /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Shiftlock

Enlightened

sbk, Thanks, I did find the same location on the pin to that transistor that was the same as the shorting to the case, but I couldn't find a solder spot that was the same as the pot housing. I'll try that when I get a chance. The aluminum solder paste didn't work well and just melted flux all over the board. Now it's all gooey.

Fussy

Newly Enlightened

so could you just put the pot on the outside of the unit and adjust it at will?

Can you turn the pot while having it on?

Azecos

Newly Enlightened

yes you can, just press the button, turn the pot till the laser stops. Then turn the pot a little back to the brightest point. Done! It's really easy. Only thing you should watch out is that you don't short the pot with the housing.

zumlin

Enlightened

I'm shorting my pot with the housing because i like that extra bit of juice.

Fussy

Newly Enlightened

what mA does it do with the housing?

LeaKeD

Newly Enlightened

Does the POT *only* increase with it turned Counter-Clockwise or do some Lasers increase turning it clockwise..

liteglow

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Azecos said:
Me too, but it eats batteries /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Is the laser still working ?!?!
i did not dare to turn the pot to full....

icepick

Newly Enlightened

Somebodys idea of an external dial to turn the power up and down sounds wild. Has anybody ever done that with a laser pointer before?
Is it possible?

zumlin

Enlightened

it is possible, i was holding the button down with my finger and turning the POT with a screwdriver