Bonehead Flashlight Stories

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I keep most of my flashlights on a shelf above the head of my bed. Many at time I have reached to get one, and ended up having my entire collection land on my face. I now put all the flashlights at the far end of the shelf and have only my favourite 'go-to while in bed' flashlight within reach.

Curiously, despite an ever-growing collection, my favorite bedroom flashlight is a 50 pence ($1) cheap 5mm LED 3xAAA light. It has aluminium construction, which is nicely knurled and shaped, and a rear-mounted clickie. If Poundland sell them again, I am going to pick up 10 to use a hand-out flashlights.

Illum

Flashaholic
Good thing most Surefires come with pocket-carry clips. :D

if you don't want to lose it, lanyard it:nana:

I keep most of my flashlights on a shelf above the head of my bed. Many at time I have reached to get one, and ended up having my entire collection land on my face.

been there...theres a reason why my mag6D is under the pillow and NOT above the bed....:ohgeez:

Illum

Flashaholic
well no....I dream big, big enough to call segments "chapters" usually LED based and surefire oriented....with fantasy dreams of having a gf in the last of chapters

the 6Ds there because i found it to be an annoyance on the floor [laminex wood flooring, when I kick it over its no :bumpit: but a very loud "CRASH" followd by a long rolling sound [floors uneven] and THUD when it hits a couple cardboard boxes full of glass wine cups and china [its was a good deal on that garage sell...just I never broke my existing china to use it].

since for those really really suspicious bump in the nights, aside from tagging along a surefire a 6D with xenon and a MOP reflector not only serve as support illumination but a weapon too

my options on storage:
on top of bed, I would have to remind myself to put a light near my bed and not reach up and search for one when I need it:rolleyes:
under the pillow, not exactly comfortable unless the pillows firm enough, risk battery acid [if leaking] destroying the sheets and the mattress [both heirlooms from the previous generation]:crazy:
beside the bed reachable by hand, I could easily kick it over [high center of gravity plus an uneven floor] and would sound like CRASH, roll roll roll roll, THUD, roll roll roll until it eventually finds an even ground and stop the pendulum swing:ohgeez:

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
I was examining my old Bianchi B-Lite, maybe an upgrade to some sort of drop-in, if any such exists that will fit ...:confused:

Looking at it, I remembered another lesson in improvised tools.

A flashlight does not a good hammer make!

Dents broken bulbs, flattened battery terminals...oh to be young and dumb.:D [Hmm, I can "drift" this thing into place with my 1911A1 (probably not a good idea) or I know!, I'll use my flashlight!:ohgeez:]

DanielG

Enlightened
I've had more than one fall out of the aircraft when someone didn't zip his leg pocket and we were flying doors off. Trying to get whatever it was out and *floop* there goes the flashlight.

That's why we carried the $5 drug store mini-mag knockoffs :thumbsup:

Illum

Flashaholic
I've had more than one fall out of the aircraft when someone didn't zip his leg pocket and we were flying doors off. Trying to get whatever it was out and *floop* there goes the flashlight.

That's why we carried the $5 drug store mini-mag knockoffs :thumbsup:

hopefully someone didn't get hurt when one of your flashlights descended upon solid ground without the aid of a parachute....although an accidental convert after being knocked silly isn't impossible :crackup:

buy a metal flashlight next time, let it sit in an autoclave or take a gas welder and put burn marks all over it, then drop it off from the aircraft and see if someone claim on national TV that someone in space lost their flashlight :hahaha: :crazy:

Last edited:

DanielG

Enlightened
hopefully someone didn't get hurt when one of your flashlights descended upon solid ground without the aid of a parachute....although an accidental convert after being knocked silly isn't impossible :crackup:

buy a metal flashlight next time, let it sit in an autoclave or take a gas welder and put burn marks all over it, then drop it off from the aircraft and see if someone claim on national TV that someone in space lost their flashlight :hahaha: :crazy:

We're so low to the ground that we would literally see anyone that could get hit. This is all at 100' and lower. Higher up you generally have the time to take the time to make sure other junk isn't falling :oops:

uh1c

Newly Enlightened
I lost many many packs of smokes and zippos from my chest plate pocket when looking out and down....but only when I wasn't carrying anymore packs of cigarettes or C-rats. Murphy's Law.
(C-rats had matches and Pall Malls and too often.... wait for it...Ham and Lima Beans! yummmmm)

DanielG

Enlightened
I lost many many packs of smokes and zippos from my chest plate pocket when looking out and down....but only when I wasn't carrying anymore packs of cigarettes or C-rats. Murphy's Law.
(C-rats had matches and Pall Malls and too often.... wait for it...Ham and Lima Beans! yummmmm)

I wonder what gave me the idea you were an old gun bunny... :crackup:

OH-58 A/C and D here :cool:

Burgess

Flashaholic
At work, many years ago . . . .

Somebody, high above me, dropped their 2-D cell plastic industrial flashlight.

Landed directly on top of my safety hard-hat. :eek:

I was quite stunned. Didn't realize just what had happened, until a fellow worker told me.

One minute later, a call came thru on the intercom:

"Hey, did you guys find the flashlight i dropped ?"

Our foreman replied:

"Yep, it's down here !"

Flashlight dropper sez:

"Well, send it back UP !" (in the material elevator/lift)

And our foreman answered:

"Come down here and GET it !"

And, for some reason, nobody EVER came down to retrieve it. :whistle:

I realize that it was an accident, but it sure hurt like hell !

:shakehead

_

Illum

Flashaholic
Burgess, if that was something metal it could've gone through your hard hat

sometimes I think its best for industrial grade lights to be plastic...lightweight, nonconductive, will hurt but wont be lethal.

good to hear your okay:D:grin2:

Enlightened
All the times I checked my lights by looking into the lens and turning it on. Duh! "Guess its working, can someone point me toward the exit?"

While I've done that several times in the past, I've finally learned not to look DIRECTLY into it but to aim it away from my face somewhat. However I had to go through a security checkpoint to go pay a traffic citation. Like so many others these days, you have to empty your pockets, send backs through an xray scanner, etc while you go through a metal detector. Anyways, I passed my light through in the basket. The young lady security guard picked up my Dorcy Super 1 Watt and asked what it was, was it a flashlight. I confirmed for it it was. She then looked directly into the middle of the reflector and before I could stop her hit the power button. She quickly recoiled back and handed me the light back, seeming a bit dazed and expressed amazement at how bright it was.

I now carry a P3D Rb100. I hope I don't have a security guard repeat said test with it set to turbo mode now. Then again, it would probably serve them right. :p

GregWormald

Enlightened
You know, if I could guarantee that someone would be stupid enough to look in the lens and then light up, I'd carry a 5 pound hot-wire! Unfortunately I've never had it happen. :-(
Greg

DanielG

Enlightened
A long while ago I got in the habit of pointing a flashlight at my hand and turning it on to see if it worked from the light hitting my hand. Now that I see what some of these thing can do, I'm really glad I've already gotten in that habit :duh2:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
A long while ago I got in the habit of pointing a flashlight at my hand and turning it on to see if it worked from the light hitting my hand. Now that I see what some of these thing can do, I'm really glad I've already gotten in that habit :duh2:

LOL .... I do the same, exact thing! :twothumbs