Bright AAA Flashlight with Clicky for Keychain?

hotlight

Enlightened
Thanks.

If there isn't simply a flashlight that meets the demands I'm looking for it is an innovative alternative. It's not the most attractive combo I've ever seen but I am happy with the beam of the LD01 so it would allow me to keep that brightness I love. I'm not sure if the combo is still compact enough for a keychain though.

Is there any trick to removing the LD01 head or the microstream tail that I would need to know?

I'm really surprised the LF2XT isn't brighter but I've seen many beamshots and none compare to the Fenix. I'd also be paying extra money for the Li-Ion over discharge protection circuitry that I'll never have any use for.

the fenix stream will be a little bigger(1/2inch max longer?) than what you currently have.
I have a fenixstream with the LOD-CE. and it isn't much bigger for the benefits of having a forward click AAA light.

if you like the tint/brightness and the UI of your LD01, I would keep it and try the microstream "mod" first.... if you don't like that combo, come back and keep on searching, in the mean time I'm sure things will be getting developed.(4sevens should be coming out with a AAA sometime)

if you are used to the LD01 on your keychain-the extra length of the fenixstream will be barely noticeable IMO

recDNA

Flashaholic
When I last checked the Leatherman S2 was basically an L0D with clicky, and the medium mode removed.

Does that not work for you?

It's listed as having half the output on high and HKJ's tests show it having lower output also. Heck, I'd like 100 lumens if I could get it from a AAA with a primary (no interest in Li-Ion). I hate to drop below 80. I think the Leatherman is rated about 35 lumens on high, the LOD 75.

When I compare reliable numbers from lights like Quarks I find the Fenix lumen ratings to be pretty accurate.

Last edited:

gunga

Flashaholic
It's listed as having half the output on high and HKJ's tests show it having lower output also. Heck, I'd like 100 lumens if I could get it from a AAA with a primary (no interest in Li-Ion). I hate to drop below 80. I think the Leatherman is rated about 35 lumens on high, the LOD 75.

When I compare reliable numbers from lights like Quarks I find the Fenix lumen ratings to be pretty accurate.

The 35 lumens number has been shown to be inaccrurate. HKJ's info only shows current comsumption, which shows that high and low (no medium) are about the same as the L0D .

No flashing modes, but it's basically a 2 mode L0D with clicky.

I had both at the same time and can confirm this.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
I have the L0D, LD01 SS, and just last week purchased the LF2XT R2. I too was concerned about the warm tint offered with the neutral white Q4 so I chose the R2 with a whiter tint. I have no regrets about the purchase and I'm very satisfied with the R2 and tint. I don't own a light box nor can I measure lux, but I'm completely satisfied with the amount of light the LF2XT produces and the beam width. I can't supply any pictures either so all I've really done is given IMO. Maybe my experience with all three lights will help you with your decision, maybe not. EliteLED still had a few limited edition LF2XT R2's last week in case you decide to try one. Your mileage may differ, but the LF2XT R2 surpassed all of my criteria for a keychain clicky.

recDNA

Flashaholic
The 35 lumens number has been shown to be inaccrurate. HKJ's info only shows current comsumption, which shows that high and low (no medium) are about the same as the L0D .

No flashing modes, but it's basically a 2 mode L0D with clicky.

I had both at the same time and can confirm this.

Is the LF2XT with Li-Ion battery significantly brighter than the LD01 with lithium primary?

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have the L0D, LD01 SS, and just last week purchased the LF2XT R2. I too was concerned about the warm tint offered with the neutral white Q4 so I chose the R2 with a whiter tint. I have no regrets about the purchase and I'm very satisfied with the R2 and tint. I don't own a light box nor can I measure lux, but I'm completely satisfied with the amount of light the LF2XT produces and the beam width. I can't supply any pictures either so all I've really done is given IMO. Maybe my experience with all three lights will help you with your decision, maybe not. EliteLED still had a few limited edition LF2XT R2's last week in case you decide to try one. Your mileage may differ, but the LF2XT R2 surpassed all of my criteria for a keychain clicky.

How does the brightness of your R2 LF2XT compare with your LD01? How about with Li-Ion in the LFX2XT and primary in the LD01?

Never mind - I got the answer from DHART. With primaries they are similar. With Li-Ion the LD01 is brighter but the LD01 isn't designed for the Li-Ion so it's direct drive with loss of low modes and very short run time.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for the bargain tips! Can't beat the price.

In the AAA beamshot thread the Leatherman S2 looks a LOT brighter than the Tank. Looks the the Leatherman wins the primary contest. (Fenix-Stream too ugly)

If I decide to go Li-Ion (unlikely) I'll try a LF2XT...although I'm under some pressure there because I prefer the color of the R2 and there are only a few left.

I'm going to wait until the Quark AAA info comes out. If it uses XP-G it might be even brighter.

maskman

Newly Enlightened
How does the brightness of your R2 LF2XT compare with your LD01? How about with Li-Ion in the LFX2XT and primary in the LD01?

Just to keep any errors to a minimum I loaded fresh lithiums in both lights. With lithium the hotspots appear the same. If I were to lean one way or the other I'd give the edge for brightest hotspot to the R2. This is where any similarity ends. The corona of the LF2XT is well defined (bright) while my LD01 corona is weaker in comparison. The spill of the LF2XT is gradual as it fades towards it's circumference. The spill of the LD01 appears to have the same width beam, but not near the defined spill light that the LF2XT provides. I'm thrilled I went through this little exercise. I learned some things I should have already known! I'm impressed with the extra usable light the LF2XT provides with the corona and added spill. I used a garage wall at a 10 foot distance for this test by the way. I can't tell you about Li-ion's yet. I ordered them from another vendor at the same time I made the LF2XT purchase, but they still haven't arrived. I'm anxious to try them in all three lights. Thanks to you I'm wiser and more appreciative of my LF2XT now though.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Thanks for going through all that trouble. I appreciate the input.

Hmm....$75 for the LF2XT followed by $89 for the Quark Ti Q123...and that's if I can resist some of the other Titanium Quarks...and then Quark is about to ADD a AAA Quark. If THAT has a clicky and uses XP-G...I need another job. AND THEN there's the Quark MC-E! AHHHHHH!

fiorano

Newly Enlightened

I just got the black version of that Tank TK-703 (sku 26988) from DX and that little AAA sucker is pretty slick and plenty bright even on alkalines. Brightness is a little less than a 14500 AA on medium give or take I'd say.

It's no LF2XT but for less than $11 shipped it's a deal for a basic AAA and could tide you over a bit while you make up your mind about the higher end stuff. Then it becomes just a cool little light for backup, key-chain or other tasks.

HKJ

Flashaholic
Is the other version of the LF2XT you mentioned with the R2 bin?

Is the LF2XT brighter with Li-Ion than the LOD with lithium primary?

Yes, it is a LF2XT R2 version.
The LF2XT with LiIon is much brighter than the L0D/LD01 with primary cells.

The AAA roundup contains two posts, one with information about the lights and one with beamshots and light measurements. The second has a ceiling bounce comparison of output.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind, although I haven't mentioned it before, I could care less about throw. This light will be used at distances of no more than 10 yards so a really deep reflector with a concentrated hotspot doesn't appeal to me. I actually prefer the LOD to the LD01 because it is a "floodier" beam and a difference of 5 lumens isn't visible. I believe the Leatherman is about 1/2 the lumens as the Fenix on high. That is noticeable. The Liteflux is worth the money if you intend to use Li_Ion IMO but not just for primaries.
Why not use li-ions then?
its rechargeable, lighter, brighter, and better than alkaline.

hoongern

Enlightened
I've been using the LD01 and E01 for a while, and just decided to get the LF2XT.

I love it! I had the same concerns about the tint.. and I must say it's a little warmer than I liked it (Actually, it seems fine in terms of being 'orange' but seems a little 'pink' imo) - but it's fine by me. Too bad it doesn't come in 3A/WJ.

But I think where it excels is its programmibility - low lows, and high highs. And the beam is just perfect - the nearly floody, smooth spot -> flood transition, great for night time reading (I found my LD01 WAY too bright on lowest), yet just by holding down the button I can go straight to max, which is brighter than I need. The only thing is that I find myself checking battery voltage a bit compulsively!

And I haven't even put in my 10440s yet, which are on their way =)

But it may be good to see what 4sevens comes out with since he's mentioned a clicky!! (Sigh, I may have to get one of his as well.... there goes my wallet)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
4Sevens new AAA definitely sounds interesting. I've gotten the impression that one aim of this light is to compete with the LF2XT. I wish it luck. Another fine AAA will always be welcomed.

Geoff

HKJ

Flashaholic
Li-Ions can blow up and the chargers can burn your house down

A good reason not to use a mobil phone or a laptop computer.

Yes, there are dangers with LiIon, but lot of other common electronic stuff has dangers. Learn the basic about LiIon handling and you have a very good battery with high capacity and long lifetime.

recDNA

Flashaholic
A good reason not to use a mobil phone or a laptop computer.

Yes, there are dangers with LiIon, but lot of other common electronic stuff has dangers. Learn the basic about LiIon handling and you have a very good battery with high capacity and long lifetime.

If the 18650 w charger were as safe as a laptop they'd sell them at Radio Shack and Batteries Plus stores. If cell phones were as dangerous as 18650 w charger nobody would sell them either. Of course there are isolated incidents with all sorts of chargers but we're talking per millions of sales.

I can leave my laptop or cell phone connected to AC indefinitely without any serious risk. (Dell recommends it in fact) Can I do the same with an AW 18650 and the Ultrafire charger they sell with it? In my lifetime I will NEVER use enough CR123 to justify the purchase of a hobby charger or a Pila and the other chargers cannot be left on with an 18650 in them. I don't want to risk burning my house down merely because I've forgotten to unplug my charger.

When Radio Shack sells an 18650 w charger for a flashlight I'll believe they are safe enough to use.