Fenix E03R V2.0 Keychain Flashlight

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
Just got an email for the E03R flashlight and it looks to be handy with decent features, $30. Chatted with Fenix to see if it has a replaceable battery or if it's disposable. "No, it has a built-in battery"

It's rechargeable, but they die eventually. It's probably good for about 2 years ±. Seems a shame to make it landfill and pay $30 (+ tax, license, dealer prep) for the privilege.

aznsx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just got an email for the E03R flashlight and it looks to be handy with decent features, $30. Chatted with Fenix to see if it has a replaceable battery or if it's disposable. "No, it has a built-in battery"

It's rechargeable, but they die eventually. It's probably good for about 2 years ±. Seems a shame to make it landfill and pay $30 (+ tax, license, dealer prep) for the privilege.

I understand (and appreciate) your very valid point. However, I see this as a 2-sided coin. On the other side, I would speculate that it would likely be impossible to design / produce that product in its current form factor, w/ current dimensions, with its current performance / features using anything other than a custom / bespoke, lithium polymer cell / batt with possibly irregular dimensions and precisely shaped to fit into the housing / light they were designing just like a piece in a puzzle. That likely precludes the practical possibility of its being user-replaceable. The same product likely could not be built otherwise.

What I'm describing applies perfectly to the notebook comp. I'm typing on. The only significant difference is that I can (and will) have this notebook's batt replaced by the manufacturer, so it doesn't have to go to the landfill. It's also a $1K product though, not a $30 product, and that changes everything.

We are seeing, and will continue to see many products which are (practically speaking) 'disposable', because the market is essentially demanding such products. I'm not saying I'm happy about it, but I think that's the reality today, and likely into the future.