Bright, durable, affordable

Rubbergun

Newly Enlightened
Back story: I am in law enforcement and have been for almost 9 years. However I am not typical PD, SO, Trouper. So while I spend a lot of time in the dark I have always used lower powered lights with long battery life and a wide even beam. I recently received some additional trading that "showed me the light" and made me want a much brighter and more focused light. It must be
1. Rugged
2. Bright 300+ lumens give or take.
3. Only one setting or able to be set to only high.
4. Compact and lightweight (to be used very infrequently must be out of the way)
5. Budget friendly (newborn baby and agency wide paycut)

1-4 are required. If need be I can save for a while before purchase and I'm not opposed to buying used. I was looking at a stream light sl2 but was told there are better options of course wasn't told what those are.

TLDR: law enforcement officer needs bright compact affordable light with just a high setting.

Poppy

Flashaholic
You posted in the wrong section, you should be in the recommend me a light section.
A mod will probably move it for you, but in the meantime, when I see LEO, I think of durability, which is followed by
Malkoff Devices. I don't have one, but they are highly regarded for dependability, and customer support.

Can you handle a hundred dollar budget?

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Take a look at this, the previous version of the TK09. Max of 450 lumens, always comes on in high. I've bought two, and they've been quite reliable. It's older, and it's no Malkoff, but if you send me a PM I can tell you how to get them for $37 each.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't have any 18650 flashlights anymore....but this is the one that I miss and keeps me thinking I need to try it again. Original TK09 is sweet. Not so much on their newer release of this light.
Take a look at this, the previous version of the TK09. Max of 450 lumens, always comes on in high. I've bought two, and they've been quite reliable. It's older, and it's no Malkoff, but if you send me a PM I can tell you how to get them for $37 each.

Kudzu

Newly Enlightened
Not so much on their newer release of this light.

I agree - I think it's a big step backwards. In fact, this thread has me thinking of getting another 1-2 of the original while they're still available …

Rubbergun

Newly Enlightened
You posted in the wrong section, you should be in the recommend me a light section.
A mod will probably move it for you, but in the meantime, when I see LEO, I think of durability, which is followed by
Malkoff Devices. I don't have one, but they are highly regarded for dependability, and customer support.

Can you handle a hundred dollar budget?

Yes 100 dollars is about the cut off without a period of additional savings. I apologize for posting in the wrong place.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Yes 100 dollars is about the cut off without a period of additional savings.

A Malkoff MD2 will set you back little over $100.
It can use one 18650 rechargeable or a pair of lithium 123's.
For those times when low light is best there is the Malkoff MD2 hi/lo where a twist of the light head switches from hi to lo or vice versa.
That's about another $20 added. Malkoff Devices.com.

A second option would be check into the Streamlight Strion LED 74301. It turns on high each time. If you want to cycle it you turn it on and hold the switch to go from high to med, lo, med, high. 2 fast clicks activates a strobe. $96 + s&h at flashlight distributor .com. They are an authorized Streamlight repair center.
It's a 74300 light. The 74301 is a kit that includes the light, a charger and both ac and dc cords.

Both are very reliable flashlights. The Malkoff is a bit over 300 lumens. The Strion a bit under. I have both. The Malkoff is a work of art in terms of beam quailty yet is built around taking abuse. The Strion out throws the Malkoff and thousands of law officers swear by them. I'm not a leo, but I carry a Strion with me everyday.

Thank you for serving your community.

Last edited:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast
The real beauty of the MD2 here is that with the H/L ring in it you just always are sure what you will get when you push the rear momentary button.
I would imagine this is as important for you as knowing it will turn on every time!

If the head is twisted tight you will get full output and if the head is loosened slightly you will get the lower level which would be right for the in the dark use you mention.

You can also go from low to high and back with the same simple slight twist of the head.

There are other lights that operate like this too but these Malkoff were designed and tested for LEO in the field and supported in the USA by the small team that makes them.

Malkoff all the way.

Last edited:

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The MD2 or a Surefire 6P with a Malkoff drop-in would be my recommendation as well. Price should be about the same for either set-up and I don't think you will need to invest in rechargeable batteries for infrequent use. I have a hunch the M61T head +an MD2 body would be just what you are looking for but it would cost about $150,worth it IMHO if you can stretch your budget that far.

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
SureFire 6P + Malkoff M61N

280 lumens, single mode, momentary switch, ultra durable and reliable, all for around $100 or less.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ Dawg-gonnit! Forgot about that one.

Great tip. Runs on primaries so for occasional use it'll do just dandy and OP can spend the rest of his Benjamin on diapers. Woohoo!!!!

Rubbergun

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys, just want to say thanks for all the help. The other forums I visit wouldn't have been so forgiving for posting in the wrong place. Seems like a great forum and I feel finding it will end up costing me lots of money in the long run.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
^^ This one has a crack staff of moderators and administrators who keep things in check right regularly.
That is not to imply that they are tyrants. No it's meant to say due to their diligence the place stays pretty friendly and insighful.

You may see the thread got moved at some point. But that's part of the orderly process here.

Besides, we all started somewhere. Most folks here are friendly. Even the occasional grouchy Gus here is friendlier than a lot of folks at those other sites.

Welcome to Candle Power Forums.

Inebriated

Newly Enlightened
^^ Dawg-gonnit! Forgot about that one.

Great tip. Runs on primaries so for occasional use it'll do just dandy and OP can spend the rest of his Benjamin on diapers. Woohoo!!!!
Thanks! I try to stay in my lane on recommending anything related to building or rechargeables, I don't have any experience there like you guys, but I have used the G2X's a lot since they came out, and they're really very good lights in general, but particularly for the cost. The beam shape does a lot well, you get a fair run time, they're reasonably light weight even if not the most compact, and mine have been durable... My only complaint is that it would be great if they shared the modularity benefits of the other Surefire families. But then again, for that $60, I can live with just never unscrewing the head lol.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, just want to say thanks for all the help. The other forums I visit wouldn't have been so forgiving for posting in the wrong place. Seems like a great forum and I feel finding it will end up costing me lots of money in the long run.

Yes CPF has a tendency to cost you money in the long run! lol

Last edited:

MX421

Enlightened
+1 one a few recommendations (bold are highly durable):

Malkoff MD2 - Well built, upgradable, Made in US
Surefire 6P - Can be had for cheap, upgradable, Made in US

Convoy S2+ Under $20, very durable, can be modded with a little research
Eagletac D25(A or C, one or two battery)

Others to add to this (if you are willing to wait to ship from China) are:

Solarforce L2P - Well built Surefire clone for about $16 (for host only), they also sell drop-ins
Lumens Factory Seraph - Recently on Sale for $10, they make great drop-ins (High CRI, etc.)

Yet another option:
Olight S1 - very small for in pocket out of the way storage (around $50 for Aluminum model)

Last edited: