Looking for a bright replacement for 8AA Nitecore EA81

prairielight

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

My trusty Nitecore EA81 (8AA) has finally met its end, and the model is discontinued. Although I liked the ability to use standard batteries, I realize that may not be possible anymore.

Still, the problem I see is that most high-power lights are only able to maintain their rated power for a minute or two.

For instance:

• My ood Nitecore EA81 is rated at 2150 lumens on turbo, beam distance 462min, and according to a review here drops down to 1950 lumens after 15 minutes.
  • The Nitecore MH25S is rated at 1800 lumens but drops down to 1073 lumens after 10 minutes per this review.
  • The Nitecore MH40GTR dropped down to 800 lumens after 9 minutes per review one and review two.
  • The Fenix TK22 TAC dropped to 786 lumens after 10 minutes per this review.
  • The same pattern holds for every high-power light I'm able to find a review for.
So basically the lumen ratings I am seeing on current high-power lights are a fiction and after 10 minutes they turn out to be hugely underpowered compared to my old EA81.

I frankly don't see the point of a high-output light that only lasts a few minutes. When I need to find something outside in the dark, I need it longer than that. Is there any light out there that would equal the EA81 in performance after 15 (or more) minutes?

prairielight

Newly Enlightened
Thanks! I took a look. This is an interesting light. More of a flood than a beam that the EA81 was, so not quite as far a throw, but still quite respectable. Maybe more useful in some cases, in fact. Digesting reviews now! It does look like the 3000-lumen setting isn't subject to the stepdown that the other brighter ones are, though interestingly, the brighter ones drop down to 2000 lumens pretty quickly.