Brighter Philips 11W revision

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I ran into a new revision of the Philips 60W equivalent A19 bulb. It looks to be more efficient at 880lm vs. 830lm for the same power. Look for a green stripe at the bottom instead of the usual purple.

This must be very recent because I bought four of the 830lm variety a few days ago at another central Iowa Home Depot. There were none like this.

I've hit my max of low CRI LED bulbs so I didn't bite, even for the $4.97 they sell for here.

Z8ag7vb.jpg

carnal

Newly Enlightened
I've hit my max of low CRI LED bulbs

Ahh, HA! I've hit my max of high CRI lamps, and need to build my cheapo inventory for the basement and garage. I got 6 of them.
Thanks for the alert! Home Deep is dumping the old (830 lumen) stock here for cheap! $8 or so.
At this price it's not worth replacing my 8 footer fluorescent's any longer. They really struggled in the cold winter anyway!
2 stores had 20-30 more of them HIDING somewhere in the upper shelves. Inventory said they were there, so they must have been up with the hundreds of boxes way up high. I'm not so sure Home Deep's "in store stock" management is very efficient.

It reminds me also when they dumped their L-Prizes for $15.
The coulda' held on to them for the additional $30 they are currently selling for.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notice the tint difference in the domes of the bulbs? The older one seems more yellow, may absorb more light.

Dave_H

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else notice the tint difference in the domes of the bulbs? The older one seems more yellow, may absorb more light.

I also noticed the different tint. Are these remote-phosphor designs i.e.with phosphor in the dome itself?
Would seem to make sense. There is also a daylight version which draws 12W, still 830 lumens.

Interesting to see with incremental improvements whether they opt for lower power or higher brightness within the
particular class.

Dave

Last edited:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it still 2700K?
I picked one up, and it was a nice replacement for incandescent, but not halogen bulbs.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I bought two of the newer ones today. The difference in tint is definitely apparent. I'm reasonably sure that this is no longer a remote phosphor design. I hope they'll hold up as well as the older ones in terms of color degradation.

The newer 880lm bulbs have a slightly greenish tint compared to the older 830lm ones. There's no objections when they're used alone though.

I also noticed that the newer bulbs are a little heavier. The metal heatsink extends a little more from the lip of the glass. It looks like they've made it thicker.

electronupdate

Newly Enlightened
Great catch, AMD! Gonna look for this one. I wonder if the difference is in the emitters, drive current or optics.

Remote phosphor has been replaced with phosphor on die, slightly cheaper packaging by removing plastic cover on metal and changing to powder coat, similar power-supply with some changes:

MichaelW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I hope that Philips will make a 75 watt version of the tulip/trumpet shape bulb (even if they have to upsize to A21 size) the three segment one still isn't pretty enough for kitchen duty.

amd20x6

Newly Enlightened
I always appreciate your videos, electronupdate! Thanks for confirming my suspicions about this new bulb.