Brightest highest output emitters these days?

DKlaser

Enlightened
I am kind of out of the loop and have learned in the last few days that there are some really bright emitters out there these days. I am looking for some info on some of the newest performers out there. When people start talking about emitters that are doing 3k+ lumens I drool. I want to know what the highest output single emitters are that are usable for hand held lights.

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened

FRITZHID

Flashlight Enthusiast

BringerOfLight

Newly Enlightened
He stated in OP, SINGLE EMITTER!

Do you know the reason why? If his primary motivation is an artifact-free beam, COBs are perfectly viable.

Starting with 4 18650s in series and a good boost driver (e.g. one of the Taskled high voltage boost drivers) you can build an extremely high-powered hand-held light.

SemiMan

Banned
I am kind of out of the loop and have learned in the last few days that there are some really bright emitters out there these days. I am looking for some info on some of the newest performers out there. When people start talking about emitters that are doing 3k+ lumens I drool. I want to know what the highest output single emitters are that are usable for hand held lights.

Depends on what you are trying to achieve, tons of lumens, or throw.

For throw, probably a toss-up between the undomed XHP35-H (Cree), and the latest greatest Nichia 219 driven really hard.

In the middle, of throw and lumens, XHP from Cree and Luminous.

If you just want Lumens, any number of COB, but you are talking wall of light, not piercing beam.

Semiman

DKlaser

Enlightened
So how does some of the nicer bins of the xm-l2 compare to some of the throwers?

ven

Flashaholic
Xm-l high is a good choice for throw,de-domed xml2 still hold their own too in PDTc off vinh, along with xpg2 although can not be driven as hard. Newer bins u4 are now available in xml2,the u3 has a little more output over the U2 bin from what I have read. Not too sure on the u4 bin......

As mentioned,the xhp70 can be pushed to around 5000lm give/take
The MKR is also a high output led
Again as mentioned the mtg2 for a nice neutral/cool 5000k can be pushed to around 3500lm. This really is a nice tint although more on the floody side than throw(reflector size/depth dependent)

Of course the trade here is heat,higher pushed,more heat,less run times before step down.....or flat cells :laughing:

The shaved dome xhp70 offers a good balance of flood/throw along with the MKR . Being 4 emitters there is potential for a donut hole closer up,however shaved domes do get rid of this or have done on the xhp70.

My mtg2 in the tn35vn pushes around 3500 led lumens which is similar to the k40m. However this is blown away by my k60vn shaved dome xhp70 at almost 5000lm and 230kcd!!! For a single led(so to speak as it is actually 4 dies), this light is hard to beat imo .

stand to be corrected but I think the xhp50 is 4x xp-g2 and the xhp70 is 4x xm-l2

Conte

Enlightened
I'm a fan of the XHP. Prefer it over the MT-G2 cause I got them in a preferable 5A tint.

The MT-G2 5000k is a good pure white but I wanted warmer. Got the 4000k and found it a bit ugly.

Then I Scored a couple XHP's in 5A and it's just right. Built a P60 module using the 50 for my L2E with a flood lens and it's a pocket sized wall of light.
Furthermore, the thing is so efficient, when I ramp it down to low power, I still get gobs of usable output and it runs for hours off a pair of 18350s.
It's just a good all round led.

Dropped the 70 into a mag mod pushing 5 amps and it's got some punch.