Build Log: The 1.5V Project

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
3rd 4th Time's the Charm

Hi all! :wave:

I owe you a sincere apology for disappearing for.. (goes back and checks last project update)... oh boy :ohgeez:... way too long.

Last we spoke, I'd teased some shots of the components for a Version3 of the 15VP converter. The fact that I didn't excitedly come back here probably speaks volumes - it didn't work as intended. Not all was lost though! I learned a significant deal working on that board and it lead me into the creation of (drumroll please)... the 15VP Version4.

15VP_v4_teaser.jpg

Looks pretty much like all the others, eh? At first glance - yes. But I'll tell you what's exciting about that picture:
  • It uses standard, widely-available parts
  • A basic Lo-Med-Hi firmware is 26 lines of code
    • The same basic Lo-Med-Hi functionality on 15VP Version 2 was nearly 1400 lines of code
  • It's all contained on one 14mm board - the bottom has a brass battery contact
    • Versions 1-3 have all been a two-board sandwich that take up a ton of room
  • It has a large dynamic range
    • From 1mA to 325mA LED drive current
  • Every level is true current-controlled (no PWM)
  • Every one I build behaves exactly the same

The unsatisfying part about that driver? It only pushes 350mA to the LED on High and I want more. :devil: I'm currently waiting on my OSHPark boards for Version 4.1 which should (hopefully!) have an even higher drive current while retaining all of the benefits above. Hopefully. Fingers crossed. :)

You may be wondering where all the pictures are! I certainly love documenting and V4 has been no exception, but I have a bit of bittersweet news that I really don't know how to say, so I'll just come out and say it: I won't be maintaining this build log on CPF any longer.

I wholly intend to continue documenting my quest for the perfect AA flashlight but will be doing so on my portfolio site. There are a number of reasons for that, the two most positive ones being:
  • It gives me a single place to post my builds of all kinds (flashlight-related and non)
  • I have better control over the presentation of my builds, including:
    • using more mixed media
    • using expanded markup for my text and images
    • providing a more mobile-friendly experience

I just wanted to pop by and give this thread a bit of closure. Should you be interested in how V4 came together and where it goes from here, you can find me on the internet! Forum rules permit external links but prohibit shilling... I'm not trying to sell you anything other than some pictures and text so I'm going to very cautiously drop this hyperlink here and we'll see whether the mods agree. :whistle: :grin2:

It's been my very great pleasure to have you along on this journey - I wish I could personally thank everyone who took the time to follow along and interact with me. Old CPF'ers never leave though, so of course you're still going to find me lurking around (mainly in the Homemade section :thumbsup:). I hope to bump into you there, and until then, I wish you all dark nights and bright lights!

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, new guy here.

I had been thinking about buying a small lathe and making myself a flashlight.

I had no clue how much goes into a project like this.

I am truly in awe of your dedication to this project.

Hi Gordon, building a home built light will push your knowledge of a number of areas - great hobby.

Just from my own experience, don't buy a small lathe - most are not stiff enough to do accurate machining. They also often cost as much as many larger used lathes from machine shops. This forum has a section on machining, and there are also some really good machining forums out there.

If you can, try to find someone who has a lathe, or take a class at a local community college that has some machining equipment.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
You Rock, calipsoii!
I'm searching and bookmarking your site.

... that was trickier than expected to find,
calipsoii.net .

"It's IN the computer?, it's So Simple!"

Last edited:

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey all,

For anyone interested in how things have been going, a quick update:
  • 15VP version 4.1 boards arrived
  • Low output is now experiencing a flicker problem
  • High output is now twice as high (750mA)!
  • v4.2 boards are due to arrive next week

Will let you know how the new boards turn out!

Latest posts