Build yer own "Battery Vampire" with a P60

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
*Beamshots-Post #36*Build yer own "Battery Vampire" with a P60

Awesome scoot! Glad to see this idea still alive and kicking!

S1LVA

Enlightened
Re: *Beamshots-Post #36*Build yer own "Battery Vampire" with a P60

I just saw this! My soldering iron is MIA right now but I am a modern-day MacGyver ;)

A little scotch tape and tinfoil along with an LED harvested from a keychain light... 10 mins later and I have a sick little light engine!

I'll make a better quality one someday, but for now this is too cool!

S1LVA

hopkins

Enlightened

vgq1cw.jpg

nbp

Flashaholic

Bump for a great old timey thread. Even I was able to do this mod! So there is hope for all newbies out there. Give it a go. :)

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Made one with a LED harvested from a dead blackberry phone(the one used for camera flash). Used a Solarforce lamp assembly, had a horrible beam despite being adjustable for focus so I had to frost the LED dome with 2000grit sandpaper.
Result: very floody and smooth beam with just a touch of a hotspot. Lights up on a CR123 primary measuring 2.5 volts, about 1 lumen compared to my Quark QTA .25 kumen mode.
What I like about it is that with a fresh primary over 3.2volts, Its brighter(ceiling bounce) than the 25 lumen mode on the Quark.
Seems to consume very little power too. I like it way better than my first one with a 5mm led. More versatile this way.

Kestrel

Flashaholic

A good thread & bumpworthy. :)

A while back I built up a couple more P60's in such a fashion, but instead of using the older-style 5mm LED's, I used the newer 60 degree floody 5mm LED's.

Worked fantastic, great beam quality and a very good hotspot since the P60 reflector is now catching a significant amount of light from those floody 60deg LED's.

RobertMM

Flashlight Enthusiast

Here's mine.
Ongoing runtime test with two Sony alkaleaks in a SF G3, after 20 hours output down to 5 lumens compared to my QTA, from initial output of around 25.

Beacon of Light

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would love one of these but my skills at making one are probably less than what is required and the original posts pictures are gone forever. Anyone have one they'd be willing to part with/sell? Would prefer one with an ultra low power consumption red led. Thanks and hope people will relive this thread resurrection.

Illum

Flashaholic

A D26 with a low consumption LED like a 5mm? or an SMT type like an XP-E?

firefly99

Enlightened

Sorry, to bump an old thread. Just wondering has anyone try this mod using surface mount LED?

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, to bump an old thread. Just wondering has anyone try this mod using surface mount LED?
Well if you use a low current consuming emitter not a power emitter it could work. I don't think there would be an advantage and doubt it would work with the reflector from an original P60. I thought about doing this with a burnt out P60 LED drop-in with a fried driver but didn't have a low forward voltage mounted LED that would sip the juice.

firefly99

Enlightened
didn't have a low forward voltage mounted LED that would sip the juice.
Is a forward voltage of 1.8~2 consider low ? I could send you a few smd red led, when I receive the next shipment of 2000 led, if you PM me your address.

scout24

Flashaholic
The new Yuji 5mm's work nicely for this. I put one in a sacrificial P60 today, and am running it in a stubby "G1" Nitrolon Surefire. Suprisingly nice beam, and I'm sure heat won't be an issue... :) I'd post a pic, but Photobucket is Photobucket, and I don't have another host site yet...

nein166

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah right what's the deal Photobucket you messed up all the threads.
If you have Yuji to spare I'd buy some off you at Kartracer's FSM if your coming

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Older thread, I know. Making a few with yuji LEDs as cr123 vamps and blackout use. Are we keeping the grey plastic base in place? Seems like my LED leads are a little short- maybe *just* long enough to solder but I certainly can't wrap them.

What is the trick to getting solder to stick to the steel spring? Is my 40w iron just too weak or is there something I don't know?

I plan to use these in an L2M setup for either 1xcr123 and/or in an L2M setup with an extender to run 2xAA. Curious, though, if anybody has used resistors to run them off 2xCR123? Using the above linked calculator it would take 140ohms and they recommend running a 150ohm resistor. Any reason this wouldn't work?