BVH Blitz 240 HID mod - NEW PICS of FULL mod and Beam Shots

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
Newbie here. I just ordered the L35 which I think will totally meet my expectations for a handheld. However, after seeing the beamshots on your conversion, I am curious how easy it would be to covert the blitz to HID and maintain the cigarette ligther plug in feature. Would it just amount to changing the bulb and adding a ballast inline?

BVH

Flashaholic
That would be simple. Eliminate the battery in the box and wire the coil cord through the box wall. Attach one lead to the negative wire on the ballast, the other one to one of the wires going to the trigger switch and then the second trigger switch wire goes back to the positive ballast input wire. Put an in-line fuse in the low voltage circuit. You still need the box for the ballast unless you're going to have it remote, too.

BVH

Flashaholic
I added another pic of the Blitz taken at the same F-stop but at 8 seconds. It's right under the first, short range shot. This appears more true to what I saw than the first photo. But there's still a lot of spill that lights up a lot of foliage that isn't showing up.

Patriot

Flashaholic
The exposure looks very good. The hot spot is intense as if I just glanced at it. The spill shows much better too.

SwatDude

Newly Enlightened
In one of your pics is that a Golight Stryker, vehicle-mounted spotlight?? Have you converted that to HID as well? If so, I would like to know how. I have looked at these for a long time for my truck since they are servo controlled with a wireless remote but I didn't think it was very powerful stock.

Patriot

Flashaholic
Since BVH hasn't replied just yet and I actually own this particular light now maybe it would be ok if I chimed in.

When on high it's about the same temperature as my PH50.....about 4100-4300K On the low setting it's a little bit cooler, I'm just going to guess 4600-4800K which I even prefer a little bit.

BVH

Flashaholic
I saw the above post about the kit and thought about picking one up but...I'd still end up with only a 35 Watt Blitz with no built-in power supply so I decided not to. Once you have a self-contained, 84 Watt (to the bulb) HID Blitz, It's difficult to have one with any less power.

I'd agree with Paul's assessment on color temps. My favorite color temp is 5000K for visual pleasure. My favorite for Lumens is, of course, 4300K. Now if someone made a 4750K bulb, I'd be all over it!

tuff40

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, just a quick question. just found this site and having a quick flick through the posts and i do not have a clue what you guys are talking about most of the time.
I have a lightforce 240 and was just looking at these hid kits on ebay and wondered if they were any good??. i use the light on the remote handle set up for hunting (live in australia) and am looking to get a longer/stronger light beam (say 300 -400 yards). also found a guy that does a kit with a 80w hid aswell. will these sort of kits do the job??
Thanks, David Walton

Patriot

Flashaholic
Hi David and welcome to CPF.

The Blitz is already a pretty good thrower so the only way that you'll get substantially more distance is by converting over to an HID arrangement. From what I can tell, most of the kit's for made specifically for the Blitz look pretty nice. If you would be able to post links to a couple of the kit's that you're considering I'm sure that many here would be happy to give you their input about them.

Any HID Blitz kit from 35W-55W would easily throw 300-400 meters so consider some of the other features such as color temperature. 4100K-4300K produces the most lumens and gives good depth perception.

I'm not certain about the 80W set-up with regards to the plastic lens after many hours of running. My 84W light does fine after running for 15-20 minutes but I've honestly not had to run it longer than that. Overall, HID produces far less heat per watt but I personally don't know if the UV output plays a role here. Perhaps the others can speak from first hand experience when it comes to long continuous runtimes in high ambient temperatures.

s13tsilvia

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, just a quick question. just found this site and having a quick flick through the posts and i do not have a clue what you guys are talking about most of the time.
I have a lightforce 240 and was just looking at these hid kits on ebay and wondered if they were any good??. i use the light on the remote handle set up for hunting (live in australia) and am looking to get a longer/stronger light beam (say 300 -400 yards). also found a guy that does a kit with a 80w hid aswell. will these sort of kits do the job??
Thanks, David Walton

Hi David

Ive done this conversion myself, pretty easy to do, i tried to shoot you a pm but you havent got this feature turned on...
Where abouts did you find the 80w ballast kit you mention??

Cheers Josh