Calling all Polishing Nutcases! Like Me!

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Curious - how often do the bare metal lights have to be re-polished. Most metals oxidize over time and get somwhat dull.

Tritium

Enlightened
kenster said:
SWEEEEET!!!!!! :drool: :goodjob: It`s time consuming and sure dose a number on the fingers!:( When your done it is hard to do this...... :nana: I haven`t been polishing today obviously! :whistle: :laughing: Just seems more rewarding in the end doing most of it by hand. :)

Hey, that looks like my camerea???? :huh: A Canon PowerShot A620 by any chance?:grin2:

BTW, I am about ready to brighten up the outside of on my Ti 27S Cx2 with a mirror polish. :naughty: Lots of Titanium and the ribbed battery tube should be loads of fun by hand. :thinking: NOT! :ohgeez: Polishing the ribbed tube will be like polishing quite a few of those tailcaps you just did. :sweat: I`m going for it anyway! :rock:

Have you considered disassembly and tumbling to polish lights. I have quite a few tumblers (vibratory and rotary) that are used for rocks and metal finishing (jewelry). I bet they would greatly reduce the labor involved in producing a mirror finished light.

Thurmond

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Will, I haven`t had to actually repolish any of my lights that I haven`t dropped hard or rolled down an asphalt driveway.
ohgeez.gif
A couple I have hit with a dremel and cloth wheel for maybe 15 seconds to spiff them up but I have quite a few flashlights.
rolleye11.gif
grinser2.gif
I change what I carry quite often so if you EDC the same light......... I don`t know what to say????? Maybe someone else can answer that question. :)

I will say, don`t loan a polished light to someone that is not somewhat of a "Flashaholic". Loaned my Polished Ti 27L to Cmacclel and it came back PERFECT! Thanks Mac!
thumbsup.gif
Now, the Bare Aluminum LionCub in the pictures below was polished beautifully a few weeks ago. Loaned it to a friends brother that I hear took it to work with him. He does tile work. Grout does wonders for polished Bare Aluminum, doesn`t it?
jpshakehead.gif
Oh well, I was wanting to open the bezel up some more on that light anyway.
wink.gif
No LED upgrade because that light has a UW0K lux III I put in it that is amazingly bright. Never seen another U bin come close to putting out as much light!
buttrock.gif
I really like this Cub since it was one of my first flashlights in my collection.:) I will not be loaning it out to anyone else anytime soon!
grinser2.gif

IMG_4378.jpg

IMG_4372.jpg

She can barely reflect the Gold coins! :( But she will be a shinning beauty again soon! :)
IMG_4371.jpg

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium said:
Have you considered disassembly and tumbling to polish lights. I have quite a few tumblers (vibratory and rotary) that are used for rocks and metal finishing (jewelry). I bet they would greatly reduce the labor involved in producing a mirror finished light.

Thurmond

Well, Hey & Howdy There Thurmond! :wave:

Intersting idea but to me, part of the problem with the sanding and poilishing is trying to not round off the sharp edges too much. Any knurling like in the light above would probably really flatten out while tumbling. Every light is different though???? The inside would have to be protected so the threads would not be ruined or the O rings not seal properly afterwards but I suppose it could be a time saver for some pieces. :)

Ken

Tritium

Enlightened
kenster said:
Well, Hey & Howdy There Thurmond! :wave:

Intersting idea but to me, part of the problem with the sanding and poilishing is trying to not round off the sharp edges too much. Any knurling like in the light above would probably really flatten out while tumbling. Every light is different though???? The inside would have to be protected so the threads would not be ruined or the O rings not seal properly afterwards but I suppose it could be a time saver for some pieces. :)

Ken

The vibratories use a very gentle action so I so I don't think there will be a big problem with erosion of and rounding of sharper edges and threads just a minor radius of those sharper edges and smoothing of the threads. It is done in fine jewelry castings all the time and many other industries as well. There are both Wet and dry processes. I will see what I can do with some Ti pieces I have. I may try my Exolion as well (with Tritium vial attached).

Thurmond

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tritium said:
The vibratories use a very gentle action so I so I don't think there will be a big problem with erosion of and rounding of sharper edges and threads just a minor radius of those sharper edges and smoothing of the threads. It is done in fine jewelry castings all the time and many other industries as well. There are both Wet and dry processes. I will see what I can do with some Ti pieces I have. I may try my Exolion as well (with Tritium vial attached).

Thurmond

It doesn`t take much on the threads to make them become very loose. I found that out with Titanium working the threads on a McLux III-T. After all the time spent sanding & polishing the outside of the light I was amazed at how fast I was able to over do it with the threads.:awman: Very interested to hear what your results are with this! :popcorn:

Exolion? :thinking: Wasn`t I supposed to send you one of those a while back to play with anodizing? :huh: :twak: My single brain cell is getting old and tired? :duh2:

Ken:grin2:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
Hey, that looks like my camerea???? :huh: A Canon PowerShot A620 by any chance?:grin2:

BTW, I am about ready to brighten up the outside of on my Ti 27S Cx2 with a mirror polish. :naughty: Lots of Titanium and the ribbed battery tube should be loads of fun by hand. :thinking: NOT! :ohgeez: Polishing the ribbed tube will be like polishing quite a few of those tailcaps you just did. :sweat: I`m going for it anyway! :rock:

Close! Its the lowly A610, j/k, its a great camera. Battery life on this camera is amazing, I run Energizer e2 liths and I cant remember the last time I changed them! Hey, that just made me realize, there is no battery meter on this camera.

Ken, you are quite courageous to tackle the S27 Cx2, a lot of surface area on that light that is not finger friendly! I have thought about doing mine, but the head on mine has some good tool marks around the circumference near the grips that are pretty deep, too deep to sand out so the finished polish would have some appearent flaws:ohgeez: . Oh well, that saved my fingers some punishment and now this is my main utility light since the first dings are already there!

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
will said:
Curious - how often do the bare metal lights have to be re-polished. Most metals oxidize over time and get somwhat dull.

True, most metals do oxidize over time and take on scratches fairly easily. Aluminum, brass, copper, nickle steel, etc., are all fairly soft and quite susceptible to corrosion, especially when exposed to oils from your hand. When EDCing lights with these metals in their bare form, frequent "touching up" is necessary to keep them looking good, and since these metals are fairly soft, they do show dings pretty easily, requiring more "touching up".
That is where titanium shines, literally. With a high resistance to corrosion and most substances because its a stable element (why its a good choice for medical applications and people that have alergies to certian metals for jewelry), very little "touch up" maintenence is needed. I EDC a polished Ti light and only need to give it a light polish every 3 months or so, where in the past with bare Al, every 3 weeks or so was needed to keep it looking as good as the Ti.
So many great advantages in Ti, the beauty and strength of it (highest strength to weight ratio IIRC), the only disadvantage in the heat dissipation, but with the output of new leds, you dont need to drive it as hard for plenty of light and still keep the heat in check.
Not only am I a flashaholic, I have become a TITANAHOLIC! A niche within a niche!

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok ive been trying to polish my Orb Raw. It has some machining marks that id like top get rid of... I have Dremel, dry green compound, Mother's, buffing wheels, a cloth wheel, and sanding drums. Do I need to get me some sandpaper in different coarses?? This will be a great time for someone to do a little "tutorial" on the subjet. BTW what do you guys use to protect the finish from fingerprints on brass lights? If anyone can point me in the right direction it will be awesome.:grin2:

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cuso, do me a favor and DON`T use the Dremel sanding drums on your Orb Raw! :eeksign: :thumbsdow Get some extra fine sandpaper PLEASE! :thumbsup: There is great info from different folks on polishing through out this thread.

Last edited:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
kenster said:
Cuso, do me a favor and DON`T use the Dremel sanding drums on your Orb Raw! :eeksign: :thumbsdow Get some extra fine sandpaper PLEASE! :thumbsup: There is great info from different folks on polishing through out this thread.

Noted, just mentioning some of the stuff that came with my Dremel , yes those are way to low a grit for using on anything but wood. Thanks for the tip.

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cuso said:
Noted, just mentioning some of the stuff that came with my Dremel , yes those are way to low a grit for using on anything but wood. Thanks for the tip.

Well, that is a relief. :sweat: I was afraid an Orb raw was in for a Dremel THRASHING! :mecry: :laughing:

Good luck with the polishing! :)

kenster

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cuso said:
:rolleyes:, BTW is this the kit you have Ken??

Micro Mesh Metal polishing Kit

I bought a kit from MicroMark and a local hobby store at first but they didn`t come with the MX grade sandpaper like this one which is more expensive and last longer than the cheaper stuff or AO. I later bought 12 x 12 sheets of the MX grade in every grit and have more than half of all the sheets left even though I have given some away to some CPF members. Good stuff IMHO.;)

Ken

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK . this is how the Raw turned out, keep in mind that this is not Ti....

dsc03534rv2.jpg

I still have to find out a way to polish the back, and its not a "liquid metal" shine, if I shoot it with the flash, some polishing scratches show up, but im happy.. the machining marks are gone and now its smooth to the touch. Thanks for the tips guys... BTW I got this polishing cloth wheel at Sears for my drill $4.99 , came very handy and way faster then the Dremel.

Last edited:

luxlunatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go Cuso, good job! The aluminum will show scratches and wear a bit faster than Ti but with a little touch up here and there, it wont be too difficult to keep it looking like that.:thumbsup:

Cuso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Way to go Cuso, good job! The aluminum will show scratches and wear a bit faster than Ti but with a little touch up here and there, it wont be too difficult to keep it looking like that.:thumbsup:

Thanks!! Now I have to find a way to keep my brass lights from gettting that patina so fast :ohgeez:, I like the shine better...