Carry spare batteries on your person?

Led-Ed

Enlightened
I use a $1 plastic waterproof match carrier to carry a spare 17670 or a pair of 123 cells.

Wyeast

Enlightened
For daily carry I tend to have spare lights vs. carrying around extra cells (Dorcy Spyder + Inova 24/7 in the car, Gerber Sonic on keychain, Mag3D+drop in LED in the fieldsite toolkit). Any specific trip out of town, however, I usually have at least spare AA's littering the bag for a variety of gear (lights, cameras, etc).

cutlerylover

Banned
cutlerylover said:
I currently use AA lights for the most part, but I do not carry spare batteries for them, but I would like to chnage that, I often wear cargo pants and I want to buy a plastic battery holder for 4 AA's to keep in the leg pocket of my pants...Just in case...

Ok, after a nice CPF member sent me a PM with a link to some great spare cases I caved and ordered 4 of them, so yes, soon I will have spare batts on my person...:grin2:

sb0007

Newly Enlightened
I also have spares (AA,AAA, 14500 and 18650) in my vehicle. I assume my FF3 have suffice juice to last me the trip back to my car where I also can find my headlamp (still in its package), ROP LE, Mag 3X3w led mod, Jetbeam MKI with 2AA tube and CR123 tube as spare. and of course my car's headlight. hehe

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Can I ask where? I usually just carry the 123's in my pockets. Maybe I "need" a battery case, too. LOL.

cutlerylover said:
Ok, after a nice CPF member sent me a PM with a link to some great spare cases I caved and ordered 4 of them, so yes, soon I will have spare batts on my person...:grin2:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Peak Caribbean w/extended body that holds a spare in the tail. If I want to carry another spare, I just drop one in the keychain body and seal it off with one of Peak's Delrin caps. Good stuff.

I always have spare lithium AAs and CR123 primaries in waterproof cases in my briefcase or BOB. I really like those cheap Walmart matchcases sold under the Cohlan's brand for carrying 2xCR123.

Last edited:

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont carry spare batteries when i can carry a spare light about the same size :)
(almost) direct drive lights, and rechargable batteries last forever.
they just get dimmer , and dimmer and . . .
Levels helps too, knock the power output down 1/5th and it only looks about 1/2 as bright, and last a long time.

i couldnt carry a spare battery in a case, it would never work, i would mod the case so it output light, and ruin the whole idea :)

Last edited:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
kurni said:
I wonder if anybody has an AA-carrier 'keyring'? I want to carry an eneloop with my keys.

You could buy a Peak AA keychain body and one of their Delrin caps to seal off the "head" end. There's an o-ring on the cap, so it would be waterproof. You can get them in black HA III, brass or stainless steel.

cutlerylover

Banned

wjb3

Newly Enlightened
RdlyLite said:
I do.
grinser2.gif
I figure since everyone here EDC's, that they should surely carry around spare juice in their pockets. Lol.

Do you?

Not in my pocket.

Belt pouch has 4 L91 Lithiums (for UK 4AA-ASLED, Energizer CH2AA Phone Charger, Fenix L2D CE, etc.)
Backpack has 8 L91 lithiums and 24 alkaline (12 AA & 12 AAA)
Camera bag has 4 L91 lithium and 4
eneloop.
Car trunk has 4 L91 lithium and 12 alkaline (6 AA & 6 AAA)

I can also cannibalize batteries from different devices (backpack alone has 4 headlamps that take 3AA).

-wjb3

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually, I carry spares. If I'm packing more than three lights, then I may rely on just the lights to be enough. Even with four or more lights I'll bring extra cells if it's already night or a long, dark, walk in the woods or some other mission is planned.

RdlyLite

Enlightened
Jeepers...

I knew your kind was around... LOL.

wjb3 said:
Not in my pocket.

Belt pouch has 4 L91 Lithiums (for UK 4AA-ASLED, Energizer CH2AA Phone Charger, Fenix L2D CE, etc.)
Backpack has 8 L91 lithiums and 24 alkaline (12 AA & 12 AAA)
Camera bag has 4 L91 lithium and 4
eneloop.
Car trunk has 4 L91 lithium and 12 alkaline (6 AA & 6 AAA)

I can also cannibalize batteries from different devices (backpack alone has 4 headlamps that take 3AA).

-wjb3

coppertrail

Enlightened
Alteran said:
Would it be safe to just wrap a battery (any kind, but especially CR123a) in saran wrap? I mean single ones, not multiples. Would it stop gas from venting properly, or something else bad?
I did this for about a week then read about the venting common to CR123A cells. I didn't have any problems, but I'm not recommending it.

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC an AAA LOD CE sporting a ROV Hybrid battery. I carry a spare E2 L92 Lithium in a piece of shrink tubing of appropriate size slightly longer than the battery with the ends slightly shrunk to protect the battery contacts and keep it from sliding out. The battery can be squeezed out and the shrink tube reused.

Latest posts