Cars, Man

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Test drove the Si. Felt faster than my 3, but on paper it's barely so. Was still enjoyable but not to the degree of the Focus ST nor the GTI Sport. Headroom is nearly an issue with the standard moonroof (I am rather tall). Headlights are halogens, which disappoints. As an upside, it is some 20% less expensive.

Suspect the Civic Type R will suffer from stupid dealer markup and require expensive packages pricing it >$40k. It also suffers from present unavailability.

Monocrom

Flashaholic

I can't stop laughing! My chest hurts!! This is so fricking funny and accurate! I don't care who gets offended. Every CPFer I respect is definitely too old to be a Millenial (or however the Hell you spell it). Even the generation we have coming into its own, now; even they're more down to Earth.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Talked to my brother over the weekend & asked him the year of his Jetta TDi
It's a 2012 with over 140K on the odometer.

He has until 165K to turn it in for the VW buyback (so he'll likely get to the dealer w/ 164,900 on the clock)
$20,000 is what he's getting on the VW settlement ,, $20K :sssh:

.. asked him what he's getting next__________the CX-5 Diesel

maxresdefault.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
How have I not seen a car like this in Vegas? (mudding event in Michigan, it's not even on this side of the continent..)

76sroJF.gif

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
For Sale: If you don't like the big wing part of RWB's German-Japanese equation, this could be the one for you; find it at Sotheby's in Santa Monica this saturday:
LiCeRBn.jpg

RkApKa0.jpg

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Ford has announced that the line lock feature will now be standard on all Mustang models, regardless of trim or drivetrain. That means if you get a rental Mustang in the near future, it will have line lock..

PocketLight88

Newly Enlightened
The rental companies will find a way to disable it once they start having to replace tires on them every month hahaha

Kudos to Ford for offering it on all models!

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Question on Quora: What burns more gas, accelerating as fast as possible to 60 mph (e.g. ~10 seconds) or accelerating slowly (e.g. ~30 seconds)?

And the answer from a user with a lot of upvotes from collegiate folk: "A few years ago BMW did some tests to answer this question. They found that accelerating at full throttle, but shifting up at relatively low rpm (2500rpm as I recall) was most fuel efficient. Of course this meant they were using a car with a manual transmission. The reason this is most efficient is that an internal combustion engine is most efficient at full throttle. Using part throttle is just forcing the engine to pull air in through a restriction, which wastes energy. On the other hand, the faster the engine turns the more energy is lost to friction. So there's a kind of optimum at low rpm but full throttle."

So for best MPG, floor it from the stoplight while hustling through the gears briskly, then cruise at a steady state with minimal throttle and RPM. Automatics don't get to play.

Full article/answers.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Quick funny story..
I saw a County Sheriff pull over an older Z28 with Collector Plates this morning.
The officer got out of his car and walked up to the Z28 to see a foxy blonde driving it,,, he quickly turned around and shut off his flashing lights.lol

I'll put $10 down; that if it was a long haired dude w/ a scruffy beard driving the Z28, the flashing lights would have stayed On:ironic:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Question on Quora: What burns more gas, accelerating as fast as possible to 60 mph (e.g. ~10 seconds) or accelerating slowly (e.g. ~30 seconds)?

And the answer from a user with a lot of upvotes from collegiate folk: "A few years ago BMW did some tests to answer this question. They found that accelerating at full throttle, but shifting up at relatively low rpm (2500rpm as I recall) was most fuel efficient. Of course this meant they were using a car with a manual transmission. The reason this is most efficient is that an internal combustion engine is most efficient at full throttle. Using part throttle is just forcing the engine to pull air in through a restriction, which wastes energy. On the other hand, the faster the engine turns the more energy is lost to friction. So there's a kind of optimum at low rpm but full throttle."

So for best MPG, floor it from the stoplight while hustling through the gears briskly, then cruise at a steady state with minimal throttle and RPM. Automatics don't get to play.

Full article/answers.

Not a scientific test, but I have noticed this on a few of my cars I've had. Most notably my current Posche Macan S, and prior to that a BMW 135 and BMW 328 Cab.
If you drive them like a granny, the mileage sucks.
For example, on the Macan, staying in Non Sports mode, slowly getting to speed limits, a mix of freeway/city I will have gotten 15.2l/100k.
Having fun in it, selectively using Sports mode ( this does suck gas when stopped), and especially getting to freeway speed quickly, and cruising on freeway at possibly 20k over posted limits, I can easily get it down to 11l/100k.

The 135 with a Dinan tune was a strange beast. On our long road trips, watching the real time fuel consumption, and average consumption, it's sweet spot for driving was between 120-140kph. The aerodynamics seemed to settle the car down & mileage was amazing, for something with 384hp & 421torque.

In Utah, when speed limits increased, and we pushed it a bit harder, the wind resistance was crazy on the MPG, you sold see it drop as speed increased. Not acceleration, but just cruising.

Sorry, had to laught, 0-60mph in 10 seconds. I like around 5 much better.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well at 140km/h+ you're essentially perpetually accelerating due to the wind resistance/drag compared 100km/h or less

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ford has announced that the line lock feature will now be standard on all Mustang models, regardless of trim or drivetrain. That means if you get a rental Mustang in the near future, it will have line lock..

Even on v6 mustang? Or no more v6 mustang. Everything is going turbo 4 now. I fear even the v8 might disappear from the mustang.

orbital

Flashlight Enthusiast
+

Roger Penske having a prototype team in IMSA starting next year
win~win ____ literally

hotlinked image removed

_____________ Daytona Prototype DPi class in Weathertech Championship

Last edited by a moderator: