Cases for 123 and AA?

robertl999

Newly Enlightened
What are your spare 123 and AA batteries stored in? Are they neatly placed in a case or scattered in a desk drawer? I purchase a small plastic case at Walmart for $1.99 and used foam to seperate the 123 and the AA's...This way they are all together....

stackmjwiz

Newly Enlightened
For 123A batteries, I use a spares carrier (holds 4). The rest of my batteries are in a cardboard box on my bookshelf.

I'm looking for a case for AA batteries.

Flic

Enlightened
AmondoTech sells neat hard cases for 123's and AA's. I find these are best suited for home storage. They also sell inexpensive AA & AAA cases that are convenient to carry.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The Kodak Advantix film canisters will hold two 123 batts very nicely. These can be had for free at film processing places.

Geoff

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire spares carrier for small amounts when I'm abroad. I have two. They hold 6 batteries each, plus a spare incan LA (one carrier for the reflector LA, one for LA w/o reflector for my A2). Forgot the part number, but SF has only three different carriers -- one for 4, the other two for 6 batteries.

Pelican 1010 with the foam cutout for 15 batteries from batterystation if I want to take larger amounts with me.

Another Pelican 1010 without specialized foam for storing larger amounts at home. Just put enough smaller leftover foam pieces in there to prevent rattling if it's not fulkly stacked. Don't trust the cardboard boxes; not watertight.

For AAs and AAAs I use an Otterbox 1000. You can squeeze six AAs in there and five AAAs on top of them. I put some foam padding in there to prevent rattling. I use some thicker foam on top and bottom if I only put AAs in there.

Last edited:

TigerhawkT3

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got a pack with 4AA NiMHs, 4AAA NiMHs, and 2 holders at Fry's. They also sell the carriers separately. They're translucent blue plastic, and they're a few bucks each.

AmondoTech's Titanium cells come shrinkwrapped in groups of four.

I recently found an old Coast holster with two side-by-side tubes, for holding a light and a little reflector wand. It holds six CR123A cells quite securely. Finally, a good use for a Coast product! :)

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are some hinged plastic cases made for high-powered rifle rounds that are very nice for AAs. I got mine at a gun show. They're great. If I use cells and want to charge them later I just put them back positive up so I know they're discharged. If you do buy at a gun show you have to remember to bring an AA cell with you as there are quite a few subtle variations in size of these rounds and some that look ok won't work. I'm still looking for a fifty count plastic box. They are great for organizational purposes.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pelican 1020

Here is what I've found works best for my requirements. Pelican 1020 cases
with special inserst to hold (24) 123 cells watertight.

27xdstz.jpg

mafeya

Newly Enlightened
Re: Pelican 1020

seery said:
Here is what I've found works best for my requirements. Pelican 1020 cases
with special inserst to hold (24) 123 cells watertight.

27xdstz.jpg

Hey...where do you find those special fitting foam? thx.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast

Botach Tactical. I've had good luck with Botach. Ordered a 1/2 dozen more
and they arrived very quickly.

These 1020's with inserts are the absolute cat's behind :) Order a few,
you won't be dissapointed.

mafeya said:
Hey...where do you find those special fitting foam? thx.

paulr

Flashaholic
I like the hard shell 12AA cases sold by Amondotech (and formerly others), though they are a bit on the heavy and expensive side. I don't like the soft plastic cases (usually hold 4 cells) nearly as much, since they flop open, but I use them for lack of an alternative when I don't want to bring a bigger (12 cell) case. I keep them shut with a piece of packing tape or a rubber band. I have a similar but smaller 4AAA case that I got with some cheap AAA NiMH cells from Emilion a while back, but those small AAA cases are otherwise hard to find.

For non-transport purposes (i.e. home storage) I just use a cardboard box, no fancy cases or anything like that.

I haven't done much about 123's but when I had a 2x123 light in my belt pack, I wrapped a pair of spare cells in paper and taped it closed. I now think of 123-powered lights mostly as art pieces and am trying to move away from them. My EDC lights now are 1) Photon and clones; 2) Arc AAA; 3) Fenix L1p.

mafeya

Newly Enlightened

seery said:
Botach Tactical. I've had good luck with Botach. Ordered a 1/2 dozen more
and they arrived very quickly.

These 1020's with inserts are the absolute cat's behind :) Order a few,
you won't be dissapointed.

somehow they seem to have terrible rep. dont wanna risk losing on an international order, anywhere else?

mafeya

Newly Enlightened
also...i found a picture on the botac.com site that shows something different from yours.

botach_1914_70286160

as you can see, it doesn't come with foam on the "ceiling" or top half of the case.

OldGreyGuy

Enlightened

mafeya said:
somehow they seem to have terrible rep. dont wanna risk losing on an international order, anywhere else?
Not the same model but BatteryStation has a Pelican 1010 case with insert that will take 15 batteries as part of a deal, Lighthound seems to have the same cases and the foam inserts, both of these guys do international orders.

seery

Flashlight Enthusiast
As tight as the cut-outs hold the 123 cells, the top-lid foam may actually not
be needed. All the ones I ordered from them came supplied with it though.

If you opt for no top-lid foam, even if under extreme conditions they shift up
a bit, they will only be able to move slightly before coming in contact with the
lid of the 1020.

I cut about 1/3 off the top-lid foam (thickness wise) and it works perfect.
Slight pressure is needed on the final 1/4" closing the lid, creating IMHO a
perfect amount of pressure w/o concern of losing the watertight seal.

Note: I cut my foam with an electric fillet knife, worked great.

mafeya said:
also...i found a picture on the botac.com site that shows something different from yours.

botach_1914_70286160

as you can see, it doesn't come with foam on the "ceiling" or top half of the case.