Casio Atomic Solar watch - opinions?

Skyline

Enlightened
Sorry, the GW-700BTJ-1JF (black titanium, black bezel) is limited edition and you can't get it any more.

You should be able to find the GW-700BDJ-2JF (black steel, blue bezel). It's also less expensive since it's steel. Ask for availability and price here:
http://www.higuchi-inc.com/howto-e.html

Here's what the two look like:
gw-700btj-1jf_pl.jpg
gw-700bdj-2jf_pl.jpg

I have to give props to Higuchi too. They sent my watch from Japan and I got it in three days! :O Wonderful service.

DBrier

Enlightened
I wear this one all the time.
http://www.dynadirect.com/sg-gw300a1v.html
I only take it off about once a month to clean it. It recieves the signal very well for me and it one tough watch. It would be nice if it were a bit smaller.

Skyline, is there anything we don't have in common? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

_mike_

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Darell said:
I'd love nothing more than a non-bulky Casio-like Atomic watch. I have a very expensive atomic that I love, but I also need one that I can beat to hell without worrying about it!

I've seen the watch mentioned here, and I just can't pull off that huge manly thing with my sissy little wrists! That's about my only complaint with it though (well, that and if there is no count-down timer! What's up with that?)

[/ QUOTE ]

Like this?

Or this?

Though they are not atomic, they are solar. They are basically the smaller, classic style not the bigger bulkier ones. The folks over at the G-Shock forum say this dealer is quite reputable too.

BruiseLee

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oklalawman said:
I want the black import how much and where????? My oriental language skills is lacking...... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
What's the matter with you? Don't all troopers in Oklahoma speak Japanese!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Bruise

UnknownVT

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
KevinL said: I'm looking at the Casio Atomic Solar watch. What do you guys think of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Same comments apply about the Solar aspect to your other thread/inquiry.

According to the Casio link you gave above the CTL1616 is a "back-up" battery - I suspect it's just Casio's own designation for the lithium CR1616.

Digital watches on plain Lithium cells last years - the Solars will crap out after time since their storage battries do not last forever.

Seems like if the watch does not get enough bright light - it keeps using the back-up battery - and the watch dies or malfunctions after a few years - much less than one would expect - as this thread seems to indicate:
G-shock Tough solar problem

Atomic/radio watches and clocks do have a major flaw for some people.

UNLESS otherwise stated - they only work within the USA (ok, within good radio reception of Boulder, CO)-
so world travelers beware -
"world time" is not the same -
it has to be specifically designated as capable of being used worldwide - otherwise one can assume it does NOT.

sotyakr

Enlightened
Just found a review of the G-Shock Tough Solar on CNET. The early user reviews were positve, but more recently many who owned the watch much beyond one year (myself included) had the battery take a dump. The reported cost for Casio to replace the battery is about $60 (as much as the watch sells for). BTW, mine had at least 40 hrs+ of exposure to direct sunlight, and it still died after a year of use.

Skyline

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
oklalawman said:
OMG they still have the all black one. $350 us that a lot of low mein

[/ QUOTE ]

Really! The GW-700BTJ-1JF? Higuchi removed it from the site and posted on their forum that it was all gone. Snag it while you can!

drewsands

Newly Enlightened
Re: Casio Atomic Solar watch CR1616 is fine to use- opinions?

Most batteries can be charged even a cr1616 a good replacement for the ctr1616. Yes there is a volt difference 2.2 for the ctr compared to a cr which is 3 volts. The circuit can handle 3.8 to 4.2 volts with no problem. The chemistry is different so the cr will not charge as many times or half as well as the ctr. So far it has been 3 years with no issues.

Latest posts