Cave tour guides with LED flashlights.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
This week I took the family to two different local caves. Lost River Caverns and Crystal Cave, both in my state of PA. Anyway, I noticed the tour guides used LED based flashlights, either maglites, or just other generic brands. They were all very dim, even the maglites (probably old maglites with the old style maglite LED). I was surprised that they didn't have either brighter LED lights, or incan based lights that would do a much better job rendering the colors in the cave. These caves have incan lighting to begin with, so the cool LED lights clashed with them.

So I was wondering, is there any reason why they would use dim flashlights? One tour guide had what looked like a 3xAAA based LED flashlight and even commented how it was over powered by the cave's built in lighting when he was trying to light up a feature that was back lit and the flashlight failed to do so. I had a Surefire E2e with a 350 lumen bulb in it, and a Quark Mini 123 warm, but I didn't see anyone else using flashlights so I didn't bring them out. I did flash the Quark at one point, but I wasn't sure if they wanted us using our own flashlights.

I really wanted to say "Why do you use such a dim flashlight?" :p

Larbo

Enlightened
I was at Crystal Cave a few weeks ago and the light the guide had was a joke, some king of multi c celled light. There was a few times I lite up dark spots for me and the family to look into.
He needed to change batteries or get a better torch as it was a very dull spot (led).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Interesting post,I look forward to the replies as I have noticed this on a cave visit in the UK to one of our tourist hot spots.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
if wonder if it has something to do with the cave wildlife being sensitive to bright lights.

The one cave I was in had no wildlife, other than some algae/moss type stuff that was only in there because it came in as spores on peoples' clothing. The other cave does have bats, but they said they sleep behind a rock wall that we had no way to get behind. I didn't see any signs that said you can't use your own flashlight, but I didn't say any sign encouraging you to use one. I didn't want to accidentally blast another tourist with one of my lights.

Some of the flashlights did look like c-cell maglites. I should have brought my Mag85, but that probably would have been too bright. :p I should have been like "Why is your flashlight so dim??" to one of the holders of a 3-C maglite and then fire up my LOD powered by a 10440. With my luck I'd ignite some cave gas and blow us all up. :p

Larbo

Enlightened
if wonder if it has something to do with the cave wildlife being sensitive to bright lights.

Only thing that lived in there was a colony of bats in a through a small opening, I didnt lite that up, didnt want to scare the people when hundreds of bats flew out.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
I left a comment on Crystal Cave's Facebook page. I'll let you know if they respond. :)

Larbo

Enlightened
I left a comment on Crystal Cave's Facebook page. I'll let you know if they respond. :)

Ok sounds good.

I have been in lots of caves in the east and central pa over the years, ever been to Penn's Cave?? you tour it by boat.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
We've done a few caves recently and they've never had a problem with us using a light. I kept it's use to a minimum though and tried to stay near the back of the group where we wouldn't bother anyone else. Each time I was using a Drake And yes, the guides always had some kind of crappy light.

yowzer

Enlightened
It's probably just a case of the guides and/or employers not being aware of what's available in regards to real flashlights and thinking that what you can get at walmart or target or the like is the best out there. They just don't know any better.

HorseFilms

Newly Enlightened
It's probably just a case of the guides and/or employers not being aware of what's available in regards to real flashlights and thinking that what you can get at walmart or target or the like is the best out there. They just don't know any better.

Agreed.

the.Mtn.Man

Flashlight Enthusiast
So I was wondering, is there any reason why they would use dim flashlights?
Probably because they don't know any better. They go to Walmart, buy the cheapest light in the sporting goods section, and never give it a second thought. We flashaholics tend to obsesses about things flashlight related that average folks aren't even aware of.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably because they don't know any better. They go to Walmart, buy the cheapest light in the sporting goods section, and never give it a second thought. We flashaholics tend to obsesses about things flashlight related that average folks aren't even aware of.

I agree, sometimes we take it for granted that we know so much about LED technology. I frequently WOW folks who are should have a more powerful LED light than my Titanium QUARK CR123.

I gotta check out those caves in Penna. Usually when I'm in beautiful wonderful Huntingdon County the sky is so blue and the trees are so green I want to soak up all the beauty I can!

jamesmtl514

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to the Wieliczka_Salt_Mine in Poland in May. It had decent lighting, however it would be impossible to properly illuminate the whole place. I had my SF E1b with the F04 with me. I was able to light up places that other people may have not been able to see. There was an old well and I got to see the bottom of it. I found it to be quite useful.

WadeF

Flashlight Enthusiast
We should all plan a trip to one of these caves and at some point along the tour we should pull out our heavy hitters and illuminate the cave in a way the guides could never have imagined possible. :devil:

unclevit

Newly Enlightened
I even experienced one guide using red light and asked us to use low-mode outputs. Did not want to disturb anything inside, perhaps :)

yowzer

Enlightened
We should all plan a trip to one of these caves and at some point along the tour we should pull out our heavy hitters and illuminate the cave in a way the guides could never have imagined possible. :devil:

"I thought I turned the lights off, not up!"

Roger Sully

Flashlight Enthusiast
Crystal Caves is less than an hour away for me. I'd definitely be in for a group outing!
If we're allowed to use our lights in the caves, that is. I'm interested to see what they're response to your inquiry us.

CoachV

Newly Enlightened
I just went on a school trip a few months ago, to Carlsbad Caverns, and I too noticed the tour guides had some "C" or 'D" type flashlights. I was using my SF G2 to light up the the darker corners and to point out features of the caves to my students. Some of the students had bought some multi-led lights they sell there, but after seeing mine light up, but they all wanted to borrow my SF!