Cavers - The StenLight, Ultimate 2x3W LED Headlamp

MajorJim

Newly Enlightened
Well, I finally bit the bullet, so to speak. After looking for a long while, and making due with the older Petzl Duo 4 until the lens got so scratched up it was not very useful, I finally went with the Stenlight 7.

I got the headband option and the longer duration battery pack, as well as the alkaline adapters.

I took a long hard look at the new Petzl Ultra comning out, and even if I could have gotten by the price tag, I just heard yesterday that they are pushing deliveries back again:

Hello! Our current expectations for Ultra availability is the Non-belt version will be available in December, and the belt version will be available in February 2009.

Sincerely,
Petzl America

For the price of a new Ultra, you can get the Stenlight 7 almost all of the extras. Plus, the Stenlight has proven itself very durable and reliable, something that is very important to me.

Should have it in my hands and on my head next week.

The new Surefire Saint was also tempting, but the delivery times at this point are somewhat uncertain. I can get the "dual battery option" with the Sten (and did), plus 2 3Watt lamps to the Surefire's one lamp. The 100 lumens rating on the Surefire is attractive, but what it's actual output will be remains to be seen.

Happy with my decision, although my wallet is lighter.