Cell phones with buildin flashlight

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
Of course, in an emergency, most phones don't tend to be waterproof, as durable, as bright, or have runtime like a real flashlight. Runtime especially suffers on many of these smartphones!

Mine does (except for the brightness). Runtime is really good, it's waterproof and durable. When I go swimming, I just put it in the pocket of my swimming trunks.

Bigmac_79

Flashlight Enthusiast
My HTC myTouch 4G has a built-in LED for camera flash or standalone flashlight, much brighter than a 5mm, though I don't know the brand or type for sure. It's decently bright, and even has a nice little app that looks like a mag light.

Napalm

Enlightened
Cheapskate:

I won't bother here trying to discredit/ridicule the folks at S*phile. It has already been done to unbelievable extents in other forums.

I will just point out that with a decent main system you can tell the difference between 90 vs. 120 dB S/N (easy with about any material) and 90 vs. 98 dB dynamics (with a good recording and knowing what to listen for).

Nap.

Napalm

Enlightened
commercials, where the man can't get a job because of his old phone- the interviewer (& muppets) are laughing at him because he still has a flip-phone!

This is about as low as a commercial can get. Which brand was it for?

Nap

bmmeadors

Newly Enlightened
My Casio G'Zone Ravine has a decent little LED in the back, that has an easily accessible flashlight mode. It's probably a 5-10 lumen output, but great for finding your way around a dark room without stubbing any toes.

OCD

Enlightened
My HTC EVO 4G has a couple leds sitting one above the other right beside the camera lens. The phone has a built in app for using it as a flashlight. I was pretty suprised at the beam from this thing. Actually very smooth with a nice tint. You'd swear you were looking at the beam from a regular led flashlight! Obviously not the brightest, but if I was ever in a bind, it would be super handy.

+1

My HTC Inspire is very similar and I too was impressed by the 3-level output flashlight app it has. Just as I use my HDS on low to navigate the house after my wife has gone to bed, she uses her flashlight app to do the same....since she doesn't carry at least one flashlight in her pocket at all times!

I definitely would consider it a viable backup to the 2 lights I EDC.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
Cheapskate:

I won't bother here trying to discredit/ridicule the folks at S*phile. It has already been done to unbelievable extents in other forums.

I will just point out that with a decent main system you can tell the difference between 90 vs. 120 dB S/N (easy with about any material) and 90 vs. 98 dB dynamics (with a good recording and knowing what to listen for).

Nap.

Gee, I'll just have to get myself a decent main system then, so I can hear all the things you can.

HiFi.jpg

Serial Chiller

Newly Enlightened
I'm interested! What phone do you use? (But anyway, it still stands that most phones on the market aren't)

It's a Samsung B2100. Not really a smartphone, but very rugged and cheap. Has all the functions I need and is really made for outdoor use. It actually has a second mic on the rear to record side noise and eliminate it from what the main mic records. This way people can understand you, even if you are in a hurricane.

But, as already said, the beam of the flashlight is really awful. Yes, all the tints are real and so is the dark line going from the center to the edge. Blue in the center, yellow outside. You would think that there is a white transition zone but there really isn't.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

Napalm

Enlightened
Gee, I'll just have to get myself a decent main system then, so I can hear all the things you can.

How about you upgrade the amp to something better than 200 dumping factor. Combined with the (very) low impedance of the B&W in the bass region it doesn't make for very dynamic drums regardless of source.

Now seriously. If you can't tell 90 from 120 dB S/N something's wrong. It's like someone here stating he can't tell the difference between 1 and 1024 lumens. There would be 2 logical explanations to this:

- the flashlight is used in an environment with background illumination of way more than 1024 lumens, so the led is completely obliterated by existing light; I would check the S/N of the amp, unfortunately Perreaux doesn't state it and seeing that it uses a fan :)ohgeez:) it doesn't look like it makes for a very quiet listening environment

- the person is (nearly) blind at which point I would check this: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000979.htm

Nap. :p

Cheapskate

Enlightened
How about you upgrade the amp to something better than 200 dumping factor.

Having thoroughly demonstrated to me your mastery of 'dumping', I choose to follow my own counsel. But do go on if you wish, I find everything you have to say quite fascinating.

Last edited:

mrlysle

Enlightened
Wow. What started out as a seemingly interesting thread about the many phones that now incorporate some sort of LED into it's usefulness, (since this is afterall, a flashlight forum) has now become a "your stuff is really junk" type of thread. I think I'm done reading this one. Shame really.

Cheapskate

Enlightened
My phone with the camera flash LED activated vs a Mini Maglite

PhoneLEDMiniMag.jpg

The four available colours using the other ap that lights the screen:

Phonescreentorchap.jpg

The camera could not really capture the saturation of the colours as perceived by the eye. The colours seem to have a deeper shade and are more saturated.

ma_sha1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, nice beam shot, what phone is that?

Wow. What started out as a seemingly interesting thread about the many phones that now incorporate some sort of LED into it's usefulness, (since this is afterall, a flashlight forum) has now become a "your stuff is really junk" type of thread. I think I'm done reading this one. Shame really.

Agree!
Guys, let's keep the topic specific to phones with built-in flashlights.
I'd like to have a good flashlight feature when buying my next phone, one less item to EDC.

Last edited:

Cheapskate

Enlightened
The Phone is a Samsung S8500 Wave. it runs Samsung's Bada OS, which is actually very good. You need to download apps to turn on the LED or light the screen. Hardware wise, it is at least the equivalent of an iP4, without the price tag.

Napalm

Enlightened
Guys, let's keep the topic specific to phones with built-in flashlights.

And that's exactly what it was. I guess that you actually want "flashlights built into phones" so the discussion would be restricted to the flashlight itself and nothing else about the phone. If so please start a new thread with appropriate subject.

nap.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
iPhone4 has pretty decent runtime on its built in flash/flashlight.

be neat to mod it with a neutral tint or high CRI but its kinda sealed
in there... I looked when I replaced my cracked screen (total pain!!)

I wonder if the iPhone5 will have an upgraded emitter ?

BTW my dads phone can beat up yer dadz phone! :party:

dealgrabber2002

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used to have a Motorola Z3 and the flashlight is really nice, bright, and floody.

Also DX just posted a new phone with flashlight sku: 99012. It comes in Orange, Army green and black.

And it looks like it can take some serious beating too. I am really tempted in getting one and put it in my "if the world ends" bag.