Center Wavelength for Filters in NV Devices

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi all,

I don't usually hang out at the NV part of the forum but I'm looking for some info that I haven't been able to find anywhere else. Please bear with me for a bit.

I spent the entire mandatory forced Katrina evacuation at my place, on high ground in New Orleans just a couple blocks from the French Quarter. I was hiding from the NOPD for the better part of six weeks. This was pretty weird for me as I'm a 'law and order' guy in his mid fifties who has never been arrested.

Long story short -- the whole city quickly decended into anarchy. I had blacked out my windows just a few hours before Katrina blew through because it looked like 'The Big One' and we wanted to take a low profile to avoid looters. Of course, I had no idea that the NOPD would be the looters!

Three days after the storm the City's rhetoric about USING FORCE to remove EVERYONE in town even if they were prepared to stay and care for their pets and property and had no flooding or other storm damage started to really chap my behind. From then on we switched to blue/green lights after dark just to keep any spill from being detected with NV gear if any light happened to splash around the plastic covering the blacked out windows.

Anyway, it worked. We're still here. I was able to test one of the lights one night after curfew with the NV gear that the 82nd Airborne was using. They were impressed. (It was an old CMG Infinity in blue/green) We also used an ARC AAA and a Pak-Lite (both in turquoise) but I was unable to test them with the 82nd. :(

I have been unable to determine the wavelength of the LED in the old Infinity.

Here's my question(s):

• What is the wavelength in nm of the light that NV gear filters out so that other team members may perform mission critical tasks without causing any NV gear in use to bloom?
  • Do different countries (or manufacturers) filter different wavelengths in their NV devices? If so, what are they?
  • How tight are these filters? By that I mean how close to the center wavelength of the filter to you have to be to acheive meaningful attenuation of the light source?

Thanks

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well...ok...

Let me restate it this way. Of those of you who own NV devices, do any of you have any lights that you have noticed have attenuated beams when observed with your NV gear? If so, what are the makes and models? What colors did the manufacturers state that the LEDs were?

Colors attenuated should mostly fall into the blueish green range but not all of them. The Phantom Lights website has a light with a white beam that has had the infra red removed from it, rendering a very low signature to NV gear. Unfortunately they do not sell to the general public.