Cheapest way to have emergency lighting? Im talking fuel vs battery ?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you already own said lantern and consumables just sitting around, sure.

Otherwise ... gas lanterns are watts per lumen as opposed to the more familiar inverse for electric light sources. Some very hasty math using the Coleman Dual Fuel:
2.5 pints of gas = 0.3125 gallon * 33,000Wh/gallon = 10,312.5 Wh / 5 hours = 2062.5W / 800 lm = 2.578 W/lumen
At $3/gallon for gasoline it will cost you ~$0.94 to run the lantern for 5 hours or ~$0.19/hr. Likely cheaper than premium, retail-priced primary cells - ala CR123As purchased at the local Worst Buy - but I suspect most other use cases to be significantly cheaper.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
If you line a jar with tin foil you can just capture the sunlight during the day & open it at night to let the light out.
Just make sure you have the shiny side facing inwards.
You don't belive this do you?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
If you line a jar with tin foil you can just capture the sunlight during the day & open it at night to let the light out.
Just make sure you have the shiny side facing inwards. If you use a really big jar It'll shine longer.
Works just like this clever hack:

laser + two mirrors.gif

Just make sure you have the shiny side facing inwards. If you use a really big jar It'll shine longer.

Many years ago a friend was working with one of the dullest knives in the drawer. My friend sent dull knife to the mechanical room for a bucket of steam. He told him they needed to clean some things. Off the guy went.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
As a youngster I worked at a used car lot first day they told me to get blinker fluid said don't come back to I find it . I knew what was up came back 2 days latter expected to get fired since I spent all the time at computer stores arcades and the movies. I walk in with a frustrated look on my face told then I vouldnt find it and tod them ill do better next time. .

raggie33

*the raggedier*
BTW go to dollar store buy 5 solar patio lights set them up so one was at top it shines on the day light sensor of the next light do all the same way. As one dims the next one thinks it dark and it lights up. A course charge them uo with sun at first. I dismantle them to make it more compact

Stress_Test

Flashlight Enthusiast
Works just like this clever hack:

View attachment 39870

WTH is this nonsense?! So, they're apparently trapped in a room.... that has giant glass windows in the wall and doors.... and they use a laser to melt through the metal lower part of the door.

The incident angle of the laser when she activated it meant that it would not have gone towards the other mirror at all....

And based on their position in the room, when she rotated the mirrors, the laser beam would've swept around the room and cut off her friend at the ankles.

Who writes this stuff???

raggie33

*the raggedier*
I have strays cats I quit feeding them and they still like me. I think you guys are tge ones who told me to not feed them .but I am not sure