Choosing a LED light for my daughter

tech

Newly Enlightened
My daughter is almost at her 1 year birthday.
Her flashlight is a bright yellow Pelican Mitylight, and she loves playing with it...which means waving it around and hitting me and other things with it.
I love Pelicans, but the bulbs and batteries just don't seem to survive the abuse a toddler can inflict.

Here is what I am looking for:
-LED light
-light to carry, and small enough for a kids hand
-not so small as to be a choking hazard
-A, AA, or AAA
-Plastic body that she can chew on, and that I can wash
-would like a kid-colored body...like bright red or yellow.
-priced under $25

I wish there was a plastic Arc AAA, but that is almost too small...I don't want her to choke on it.

So, please post your opinions on a nice LED for my daughter.

T.

raggie33

*the raggedier*
Glo-Toob? opps i just saw how small the glo toob is that wouldnt be a good idea sorry

steve_vance

Enlightened
is this too small?
und2aaaledy.jpg

UK 2AAA Mini Pocket eLED
Underwater Kinetics UK 2AAA eLED flashlight is the LED version of the original 2AAA Mini Pocket Light. The UK 2AAA LED will run for up to 20 hours on 2 AAA batteries. As its name implies, the UK 2AAA LED easily fits in a pocket. and comes with a handy plastic hat clip making it a great hands-free light - ideal for hunters and fisherman. The compound focal lens produces a beam that will project about 20 feet. Waterproof to 500 feet. Includes key ring, hat clip, and batteries.
Specification Description
Battery Type AAA
Battery Number 2AAA, included
Dimensions 2.9"
Lamp Type White LED (10,000 hour life)
Weight w/ Batteries 1.3 oz.
Run Time 20 hours
Focus Type Spot
On/Off Twist Head
Material Plastic
Brightguy has them for $11.95

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
If not the UK 2AAA then maybe a PT Attitude? PAL Light sounds pretty good too--she might enjoy the strobe mode.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I know it's kind of a departure from your specs, but consider the PAL workman. It takes a 9V, is regulated, and runs forever on one. It's rubber and can withstand bumps and drops better than almost anything out there. It's lightweight, mini candybar shape and size with a big button that's good for little hands. It makes a very bright spot, so the child will get gratification from it's very visible effect (compared to anything else this size). Best feature of all, it turns itself off in 30 mins automatically! All children turn on their lights and then wander away, leaving them on behind a sofa, in the closet, etc. In effect, each set of batteries can be only used once, unless you watch her like a hawk, which you can't always. And it's cheap; I got one for my son and he loves it. He sleeps with it under his pillow for security. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
You can't wash a PAL unless you take it apart and set the innards aside first, so that's something to keep in mind. The auto-shutoff feature is a great idea for a light for children though, so maybe that will mitigate the water-resistance issue.

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The UK 2AAA LED light is a good option. You might also want to check out the ShoreLite series. They have both a one AAA and and a one AA model.

BlindTiger

Newly Enlightened
My 13 month nephew likes to play with my PT Impact. It has a lanyard, is plastic and bright.
But be careful, when they get older they will turn the bezel head. The 4yo screwed down my PT 40 so hard, it didn't work anymore.

tech

Newly Enlightened
The UK 2AAA Mini Pocket eLED is a good possibility.
And the PAL with auto-shutoff is a good idea...
The PT Attitude looks good.
Shorelites look interesting, but I can't find really good info on CPF about them that makes me want them
I also like the PT Impact II...
*so many choices!*

I think tomorrow will call for a Daddy-Daughter trip to REI to see what they have in stock!

T.

paulr

Flashaholic
Countycomm has the UKE 2aaa for $10 but maybe it's a little too small. Except for the price limit I'd suggest a Nightstar ( www.shakelight.com ). Very rugged, fun to play with, never needs batteries, way too big to swallow.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
[ QUOTE ]
tech said:
...Shorelites look interesting, but I can't find really good info on CPF about them that makes me want them

[/ QUOTE ]
Shorelites are a bit on the small side - possibly swallowable.
A page about the Shorelite is right here if you're interested.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I'd second Vincent's suggestion. The Light Wand is even fun for old guys. Plus, it uses one AA and has auto shutoff after about nine minutes. You can override auto shutoff, but I don't think your daughter will figure it out. I found them at Toys-R-Us and REI.

Brock

Flashaholic
I've got a PT blast for my son; he has had it since he was 6 months. They made a LED version as a marker light and that's what he has. It is called the "eco flare". I just swapped out the blinking red LED for a blue one. I also put a normal blast lens on the front so it looks like a little flashlight.

https://www.brightguy.com/detail_int.html?cart=10629947511259038&sku=PRIEF2NY

Having said that I would recommend the UKE LED and put NiMH's in it to make it a bit dimmer in case she stares at the LED, and so when it is left on you won't care. We actually lost his and 6 days later we were driving at night and my wife asked my what that blue glow under the seat was. Sure enough it was still running.

Both are completely waterproof, Kaiser got in to one of the Pals, got it apart, and it has small parts in it, perfect for chewing on. So that won't work to well.

Both the UKE and attitude can be thrown in the dishwasher /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Believe me I know...

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went through this same decision making process 2 - 3 months ago for my grand daughter (now 20 months). I chose the CMG Infinity. Waterproof, indestructible, perfect size for her to hold, but not small enough for her to swallow, long run time, no big deal if she leaves it on (1 AA cell), lifetime warranty. But the main reason that I chose it, was because IT IS THE LEAST BRIGHTEST. While she loves to shine it on things, she still shines it in her face and I was very concerned about the long term effect of a bright light directly in her eyes. I had the advantage of knowing that the light fit her hand well before I got it, because she played with my Ultra. I'm pleased with my choice and she loves it. I got two - one for her to take home and one to keep at my house so that I've always got a light for her to play with when she's with me.