clicky vs twisty

wyager

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only clicky to have ever failed on me is some cheap POS DX flashlight I was using as a laser host... that said, I keep a few twisties around. My main light (LD20) is a clicky, and I really like that interface. I hardly ever need turbo mode, so it's no problem to turn the head when I do. I EDC a maratac AAA twisty, because of it's super tiny size. I keep some incan twisties around for loaner lights and just in case there's an EMP and the non-metal part of my LEDs are pointed the wrong way :eek:. It's really up to user preference.

luke_DF

Newly Enlightened
interesting to hear these perspectives. I think it's largely a matter of personal preference.

I like the clickys because they are simple and responsive. for the really small keychain lights twisty is probably better - but hey I don't use any of those, so clicky gets my vote!

chartwell99

Newly Enlightened
twirky;3283684 N Has anyone felt that their twisty flashlight was a preferable interface to a clicky one? One-handed operation about seals it for me.[/QUOTE said:
Clickies are easiest to use but it's unnerving that, other than Leupold, none of the manufacturers' warranties cover switches. Says something, doesn't it?

JWRitchie76

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quality Twisty light is a thing of beauty! No mode skipping or sloppy threads. Some quality Twisties that have passed through my hands include a Ra Twisty, Muyshondt Nautilus, Peak Logan, SS Preon Revo and SS Maratac AAA. The only one that required two hands was the Ra. I'd take a progressive twisty UI like the Ra or Muyshondt over a clicky light anyday. On the flip side a McGizmo McClickie is as good as it gets for clicky lights IMO .

flame2000

Enlightened
I prefer clicky for one hard operation. Just curious, will the constant twisting compromise the o-ring seal in a twisty?

elgarak

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are good and bad clickys, and good and bad twistys. IMO, a bad clicky beats a bad twisty, but a good twisty beats a good clicky :D

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which of the two keeps resistance down more as you bump up the current?

I know there is at least one electronic clicky too, those don't count, obviously those would be the least resistance.

ringzero

Flashlight Enthusiast
Twisties for keychain use, because of compactness and resistance to accidental turn ons.

Forward clickies with momentary capability for penlights and small tasklights, because of the ease and rapidity of bringing them into action.

My theory is that a forward clicky, if used nearly exclusively in momentary mode, will last a long, long time because of lack of wear and tear on the latching mechanism.

Probably 95% of the time my forward clickies are momentarily activated and used without being clicked fully on. Maybe 1 in 20 activations result in them being clicked to fully latch them on.

Sparky's Magic

Enlightened
My current EDC. has the best of both worlds - S/F E2E with Malkoff VME. head and Z68 Clicky Tail. It can be used as a clicky.
Click on. Used as a Twisty, leave clicked on and deactivate the 'light by twisting the front section clockwise a small amount (about an eighth of a turn) and back again for on. This is the stealthy option and is how Malkoff designed the VME. head to be used with his Twisties...:thumbsup:
Properly cleaned and lubed this VME head affords effortless one handed operation.

Last edited:

thospress

Newly Enlightened
Re: Clicky vs Twisty

Twisties are fine IMO if there's also a momentary on (call it the "Surefire method"). And I'd rather trust my survival to a twisty than a clicky.

I agree. It's interesting that the Surefire warranty no longer covers switches (it previously excluded only switches on Weapons Lights), presumably because of reliabilty issues with Surefire clickies.

jdboy

Enlightened
Re: Clicky vs Twisty

For me I seem to prefer a clicky. Although I don't mind a twisty as long as it has a momentary on the tail cap. I did find (with a new light) that if the tail cap thread don't have enough tension and it's a twisty make sure you back it off enough so that it don't turn on in your pocket. I had my new to me Elektro Lumens in my pocket the other night and it got warm enough to get my attention very quickly, :eek:!!!

HotWire

Flashlight Enthusiast
Depends on the light....An M4 with SW01 is one-handed, swift and reliable. For a smaller light like the M3 I prefer the Z-58. For a super small light a twisty fits the watch pocket in my jeans better. For me, it just depends on which light.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Two current posts moved from older Clicky vs Twisty thread to this one.

Bill

Last edited:

Nicrod

Flashaholic
Clickies are my favorite and all my best lights are. But there are some lights that can only be twistys and that's there character. Maratac,itp, arc aaa,ect.

Nick

Borad

Enlightened
If I was buying a flashlight as a gift for a non-flashlight enthusiast (I forgot what you call yourselves), I'd get a clicky with a button on the side that's easy to feel (and fairly easy to press) so there would be less confusion about how to turn it on in the dark and no danger of accidently unscrewing anything. I grew up with cheap sliding switch flashlights, so even with a side button I'd be worried that some people wouldn't know how to turn it on in the dark.

Borad

Enlightened
Do any twisties give some indication of when you've twisted well into the on or off zone? Otherwise I could imagine a seldom used EDC turning on in your pocket or bag and the batteries draining or overheating. Do any twisties snap in place?

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that the reliability argument is way over-rated. There was a thread not long ago asking about the reliability of clickies and almost no one could report a switch failure. Sure, it might happen, but these switches are tested for thousands and thousands of operations. I personally never had a switch failure. I don't have anything against twisties, I own quite a few, but for work I definitely need a clickie - I wouldn't want to drop a light in a 5 gallon tank of acid while lifting a 30 pound rack out because it became too hard to operate of my other arm is getting tired, but that's just part of my job.

If clickies don't have a switch to fail, it is my opinion (and please do correct me if I'm wrong) that the o-ring might need to be changed more frequently (ok, probably after X many years of operation) and more frequent lubing to help keep it alive longer and easy to operate. Even if your o-ring does not show any cacks, it could be thin enough to let water in. How can you know without testing it directly and risking water infiltration?? Worse yet, find out when you actually need the light...

On the other hand, if a battery leaks in a twistie, there is no risk of ruining a perfectly good switch. Less parts to break, less o-rings, less moving parts and much more compact. I EDC twisties on the weekend when I know I won't need a sophisticated light. I like the fact that they are small enough to ride in my pant pockets, but when comes time to do more than find a key hole or tie my shoes, I'm a clickie guy.

I think that both have their advantages and disadvantages and none is really superior to the other in the long run - just different sizes, different interfaces and even different uses in some cases. It is just natural that preferences differ from one person to the next, everyone uses what he thinks is the absolute best, but the reality is that 95% of that belief is based on personal preference.

KVoimakas

Newly Enlightened
I much prefer clickies. I have a couple 4 Sevens clickies (aa tactical and aa2 turbo) and I would much rather have the aa tactical over my mini aa. I usually have all three anyway (love my leathers. Pockets everywhere!) I reach for the clicky first.