• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired CLOSED: VIP Big BulkHead (BBH) Offer

pyro

Enlightened
Re: BBH Threading Problem

Got my BBH today!

Unfortunately it also doesn`t fit on my VIP.

What thread size is used?
Shipping it back over the ocean doesnt sound good.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast

Good ol' Chris with flashlightlens.com let me know he's got some replacement lenses.

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

Otok,

Please post detailed instructions/pictures on what we need to do to fit the BBH to our VIP for those of us who are overseas and prefer to do this ourselves.

I understand you would be willing to reimburse us on our shipping costs, but it will be at least $20-$25 each way for sending it by insured air parcel post from Hong Kong to you and back.

Otokoyama

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
yaesumofo said:Otok. Just asking to learn something here. What is different? The BBH's threads or the VIP's? If it is the vip's why didn't we see this problem with the bh's? is this a machine shop QC issue, or a VIP issue? Not trying to be difficult just wanting to see the finer details.

[/ QUOTE ]The two VIPs with BBH thread problems that I currently have in my possession are: 1) a 2nd run, and 2) a special run. My only guess is that a slightly different setup was used for these runs, resulting in a larger (about .005") diameter thread.

I asked for slightly tighter threads on the BBH as I believed that the stock and BH heads' threads were too loose, and I wanted the emitter centered as well as possible. These tighter BBH threads on later VIPs resulted in the "no fit".

Otokoyama

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Icebreak said:Good ol' Chris with flashlightlens.com let me know he's got some replacement lenses.

[/ QUOTE ]I would encourage everyone to pick up an extra lens or two. If you're anything like me, you will eventually break any glass lens. Even if you don't have a BBH, the thick UCL is something beautiful to behold. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened

I of course would just as soon not pay the shipping both ways, as I'm already $500 or so in the hole on this project (don't tell my wife), but if you're at all uncomfortable doing this, please do send it back and I'll fix it, as I've done on two already.

Acquire a 32 thread per inch (tpi) bottoming tap. (Already difficult for you metric guys.) I used an 8-32 tap since it was the largest diameter 32 tpi tap that I had. An ideal tap would be McMaster product number 2521A477.

Using the cutting edge of one of the lands (i.e. threaded part) of the tap, mate with the BBH's threads and go around the inside scraping out some of the anodizing. Be very careful to keep the tap threads mated well. Be very careful not to damage the reflective finish. You should see black gunk form in the flute of the tap, a mixture of anodizing and lube. Twice around should do the trick.

Then, take some fine sandpaper (around 300 grit), and sand down the crests of the BBH threads again being careful not to touch the reflective coating. Just run the sandpaper around the inside diameter in the direction of the threads twice, holding the sandpaper against the threads with your finger.

You've just enlarged the BBH threads slightly.

Carefully brush out the BBH's threads with an old toothbrush. Lube the VIP (not BBH) threads a bit. If you lube the BBH threads, there's a possibility that screwing in the VIP will push lube into the reflector. It's better to push lube onto the VIP's o-ring.

Screw in as if you're tapping: screw in a half turn, then back a quarter turn, in a half, back a quarter. Push while screwing in, pull while screwing out, trying to wear the threads in a bit. If it's too tight, don't force it. Just scape and sand one more time.

The one I did today took about 20 minutes, being very careful.

At the very least you will need to take off the lens and blow dust out of the reflector. If you really feel the need to clean it (discouraged), I've provided instructions on how to do that with each reflector.

Please ask whatever questions you need to clearly understand this process.

Likebright

Enlightened

I didn't see the BBH lens at Flashlightlens does he have them or are they to be purchased some where else?
I know that some where in the archives of this or some other thread there is information on this - but I can't find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Mike

gregw

Flashlight Enthusiast

[ QUOTE ]
Likebright said:
I didn't see the BBH lens at Flashlightlens does he have them or are they to be purchased some where else?
I know that some where in the archives of this or some other thread there is information on this - but I can't find it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif
Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

My understanding is that due to the limited quantity of lens available, this isn't listed on the site. You need to email Chris at [email protected] and he'll send you instructions on how to buy this.

Illuminated

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Otokoyama said:
...I of course would just as soon not pay the shipping both ways, as I'm already $500 or so in the hole on this project (don't tell my wife), but if ...

[/ QUOTE ]

This just doesn't quite seem right...

What we flashaholics buy from people like Otok and McGizmo are NOT production pieces from major corporations. They're smallish runs of custom pieces and there's a premium price for that. It just doesn't seem right that Paul should take a financial bath on the BBH project.

While I'm fortunate that my BBH fit my VIP perfectly as described, obviously other VIP owners have not been as fortunate.

The performance of the VIP/BBH combo is really unmatched by any other I know of at the given power level!

That said, I hope few will harbor ill will towards Otok and appreciate what a special product the BBH really is.

Paul, please PM me your mailing address again and I (as one of the fortunate ones) will gladly send a MO of whatever I can to help defray the rising cost of your losses on producing and custom-fitting the BBH to the variant VIP's. I really appreciate what the BBH is THAT much.

I respect your integrity and I think you deserve some compensation in return - I know you would never ask...

Hopefully, others might agree with me - but I can only speak for myself.

John

karlthev

Flashlight Enthusiast

NO (repeat, NO) PROBLEMO! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Just got my BBH yesterday and, gave it a run for the money in the wee hours of the morning. I can't tell you how pleased I am with this beauty! I didn't think this would ever happen but finally it did and, well, this is a laser guys, a real LASER (figuratively of course!)!! I remember (when I was still combing my hair /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif) that it was said that you could bounce a laser beam off the moon. Well pretty amazing stuff way back in the old horse and carriage days doncha know (!)--"hard to believe" as we used to say. Anyway, once I get in touch with my old buddy (the Man in the Moon of course) I'm gonna ask him if he can see me shining my VIP with the BBH at him. The answer will be an affirmative without a doubt. This setup will put a spot on the moon no problemo and, just about the size of an orange!

Just as an aside as well, I have been known to be be somewhat picky with my "flashlights"---"Whatsamatter honey"? my lovely will ask, "bugger on yer new toy"?!! "Nah, just wanna make sure itso K" I'll answer! Anyway, this bomber BBH just turned onto my VIP without a whimper..smoooooth as silk! I did smear just a tad of lithium grease on the threads before I started threading it but, I did not have a difficult time.

The "flashy stuff" inside (forgive my technical approach here!)wasn't absolutely purrrfect--a dot here and there (or was it my "floaters"?) but,it sure didn't matter in the business end when I fired it up that's for sure! Now some of you gentlemen out there just gotta be better men than I because when I turn this sucker on, I'm not gonna look at the "flashy stuff" for love or money!

The entire head has good solid heft and has a nice non-reflective (this is the OUTSIDE here!)annodizing so I'm not seen at night until....BLAMMO, the VIPBBH is ON!!!

Paul, fantastic work on the BBH and Charlie/George great platform to work from! Keep it up, I'm always looking! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/happy14.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/goodjob.gif

Otokoyama

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
Illuminated said:I respect your integrity and I think you deserve some compensation in return - I know you would never ask...

[/ QUOTE ]I've more than made up for the BBH on other projects, so ... I have already been compensated. The BBH was a labor of love, so I didn't really intend on making any significant profit, but just wanted to get a nice reflector into people's hands at roughly my cost.

I actually came out pretty close, the $500 resulting more from a still unresolved supplier problem than anything else. I certainly didn't intend on devoting so much time to it, but that's how you learn.

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic

Yeah, the BBH is awesome. I may have to go for one of those U bins. My plan is to keep it one one of my VIP's full time. I may need another AA body to go with the second VIP. Love those rechargeables.

Bill

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast

Just a note.
Toniget I was playing with one of my BBH's and VIP's and out of 4 flashlights one has the dreaded thred issue. This unit is a smooth annodized unit. It is one of the less common VIP's. Because I have 3 working (with the BBh's) units I will not go to all the effort to make the smooth unit work. Maybe if I had a smooth AA tube...
Anyway Thanks for such a cool item. I wish I could adapt it to work with more flashlights.
Yaesumofo