Closest light to a rechargeable Photon Freedom

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey folks. I'm wondering what the closest thing to a rechargeable photon freedom is out there on the market. I have pretty much been using a photon freedom for all my around the house at night light needs for a while now, and while I love it, especially with a warm Yuji plugged in there, I don't love throwing away and replacing the coin cell batteries. Just curious as to your recommendations on keychain style rechargeable lights. I think the Nitecore Tube V2 might be a candidate is it's also a single button with ramping UI which are two features I really like on the Photon. Bonus points if it's easy to swap a 5mm Yuji into your recommended light. :)

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want the dimming feature, the Tube V2 is probably fine. If they were still available, I'd much rather have a Nitecore Tip CRI (second generation without parasitic drain on lockout, and not complicated like third generation). If the dimming isn't essential, the Tini 2 is the nicest one if you can afford it (still no dimmer though and not high CRI). Don't overlook the Tiki either.

pc_light

Enlightened
Don't know if you can still get them but this light meets your specs: Xtar XCraft - USB Micro RCR2032, here reflowed with Yugi 3200K hi-CRI
CWYa9zr.jpg

Size comparison -
o3BEuPr.jpg

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the recommendations folks! Those are all interesting options. The Xtar is interesting. How hard was it to mod it to the Yuji? I guess another question should be, are 2032 rechargeable (or 2016) batteries worth getting these days. Maybe I'll try some rechargeable batteries and just stick with the Photon.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear from you gurdygurds!
Nitecore TIP CRI as described by Hooked on Fenix, but not sure where available. You will not like the beam cast on the other Nitecores, one opinion. If this is a tool used nightly, having an easy way to recharge is nice/convenient. Plus the TIP can give you a blast when called upon. It does come in handy. Maybe try out something like the Rovyvon?

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good to hear from you gurdygurds!
Nitecore TIP CRI as described by Hooked on Fenix, but not sure where available. You will not like the beam cast on the other Nitecores, one opinion. If this is a tool used nightly, having an easy way to recharge is nice/convenient. Plus the TIP can give you a blast when called upon. It does come in handy. Maybe try out something like the Rovyvon?
Hey hey Kitro! I partially blame my obsession for the Photon Freedom on you! Are the 2017 Tip Cri models the 2nd gen without parasitic drain? Looks like you can still find them here and there.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not get some rechargeable 2016 cells and a charger?
Definitely a possibility. Do you have a charger and cells that you recommend? I've been using the 2032 cells for the extra runtime but you definitely take a hit on output.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey hey Kitro! I partially blame my obsession for the Photon Freedom on you! Are the 2017 Tip Cri models the 2nd gen without parasitic drain? Looks like you can still find them here and there.
The 2017 are the third generation Tip CRI lights. First generation had the parasitic drain on lockout that killed the battery in 24 hours. Second generation fixed the parasitic drain with no other changes. Third generation got rid of the lockout, added a daily (regular) and demo (shuts off after 30 seconds) mode and gave a clip that covers the switches and USB port, both changes to make up for no lockout. No lockout, no parasitic drain. Basically, they came up with weird solutions to fix a problem they already fixed. Best option was to get a second generation one and add the clip. You can still find the newest one with the clip, but the best was the generation before that one. If it comes with a clip, you know it's the newest one.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
If high-CRI is mandatory, check out the Acebeam M50. It's micro-USB charging vs. USB-C, which sucks, but it's not a bad looking small light.

If CRI isn't a concern, look at the various oLight i1r lights. USB-C charging on the latest version, the i1r 2 Pro.

Splitrail

Newly Enlightened
This looks attractive..................

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Pretty sure they are only first generation second version with high CRI. The newer user interface is cumbersome. I lock out by pushing both buttons after use. I have two of them still. One is on a belt loop virtually all the time.

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well I just took possession of a Yuji'd Xtar Xcraft that a forum member was kind enough to sell to me. Very cool (warm) little light with on board charging via a micro USB cable and RCR 2032 battery. I figured this was a great option as it gives me another little light to use, and I can just purchase another RCR 2032 battery for my Photon Freedom and use the Xtar as a charger. Single output of 5 lumens and while it definitely doesn't feel as solid as the Photon, we will see how it fares over time. Thanks everyone! Here are a few pics.
51823201576_2b0e148efd_c.jpg
Untitled by Six Pound Cat, on Flickr
51822251077_4a1797c049_c.jpg
51823918910_b2a08ecb2f_c.jpg

flashfan

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xtar looks interesting and hope it works out well for you. If you ever want to add to your inventory, take a look at the Nitecore Tube.

I've been an avid Photon Freedom user since it was first introduced, and biggest fan of the long-discontinued Photon Rex, which was rechargeable from plain batteries, plus had the option of a solar charger. A great option of the Freedom, is the covert model that eliminates/reduces glare.

As an alternate rechargeable keychain light, the Tube, v2 is good. 1 lumen up to 55 lumens, and like the Freedom, offers "infinite" levels of brightness. The Freedom peaks at 4.5 lumens, which may seem too dim for flashaholics, but is actually great in very low light conditions. One superior feature of the Freedom over the Tube, is what I call the "flashpoint." When the Freedom reaches either the brightest or lowest settings, it flashes, so you know where you are. The Tube just cycles from dimmest to brightest, then drops back down to dimmest and back up again...so if you don't release the button at the the peak, you go down to the dimmest.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
The xtar looks interesting and hope it works out well for you. If you ever want to add to your inventory, take a look at the Nitecore Tube.

I've been an avid Photon Freedom user since it was first introduced, and biggest fan of the long-discontinued Photon Rex, which was rechargeable from plain batteries, plus had the option of a solar charger. A great option of the Freedom, is the covert model that eliminates/reduces glare.

As an alternate rechargeable keychain light, the Tube, v2 is good. 1 lumen up to 55 lumens, and like the Freedom, offers "infinite" levels of brightness. The Freedom peaks at 4.5 lumens, which may seem too dim for flashaholics, but is actually great in very low light conditions. One superior feature of the Freedom over the Tube, is what I call the "flashpoint." When the Freedom reaches either the brightest or lowest settings, it flashes, so you know where you are. The Tube just cycles from dimmest to brightest, then drops back down to dimmest and back up again...so if you don't release the button at the the peak, you go down to the dimmest.

I was a big fan of the Photon Rex as well.I got the impression that the Photon Rex's rechargeable coin cells didn't really hold up that well over time and LRI's recycle plan for the lights wasn't very feasible. I would like to see a new light with similar capabilities as the Rex but not with built in or difficult to replace batteries.I guess you can replace the batteries in the Rex but LRI didn't really design it to be user serviceable.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was a big fan of the Photon Rex as well.I got the impression that the Photon Rex's rechargeable coin cells didn't really hold up that well over time and LRI's recycle plan for the lights wasn't very feasible. I would like to see a new light with similar capabilities as the Rex but not with built in or difficult to replace batteries.I guess you can replace the batteries in the Rex but LRI didn't really design it to be user serviceable.
I had a Photon Rex. The battery only lasted about 15 minutes on high and overall didn't last long. Having to charge it's battery with another battery was kind of wasteful. Micro usb and usb-c charging are way more convenient today. If they had a better battery, maybe they would have not been discontinued.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a Photon Rex. The battery only lasted about 15 minutes on high and overall didn't last long. Having to charge it's battery with another battery was kind of wasteful. Micro usb and usb-c charging are way more convenient today. If they had a better battery, maybe they would have not been discontinued.
The appeal of using any regular battery to recharge for me was that I could use found alkalines that I would not want to risk using in a decent light or device. It does seem that a more robust battery was needed.Maybe they should have went with 2 5MM LEDs and less output to be more in line with the batteries being used.Still pretty impressed with what LRI did at the time with the Rex though.