Coleman 3AA High Tech LED Mini Lantern

filibuster

Enlightened
I would have preferred if it was 4 AAs instead of 3 but hey, it looks like it makes up in other areas. I wonder how close the runtimes will come to that of a 2 AA Fenix flashlight, like the LD 20 r4, which I just bought:

http://www.fenixlight.com/UploadFiles/201039161946467.jpg
I doubt they will be very comparable. The Fenix LD20 has a very efficient regulated output but most lanterns I've encountered do very little by way of regulated circuitry at least to the extent the Fenix circuitry does.

I'm guessing you will see more of a diminishing curve in light intensity as the batteries discharge compared to the flat output shown for the LD20.

I have a Fenix L2D and have added the diffuser tip which is really a great addition to the light and gives you lantern like lighting in a flashlight form factor.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I doubt they will be very comparable. The Fenix LD20 has a very efficient regulated output but most lanterns I've encountered do very little by way of regulated circuitry at least to the extent the Fenix circuitry does.

I'm guessing you will see more of a diminishing curve in light intensity as the batteries discharge compared to the flat output shown for the LD20.

I have a Fenix L2D and have added the diffuser tip which is really a great addition to the light and gives you lantern like lighting in a flashlight form factor.

Haha, funny you mentioned it becaust I just bought another LD20 and two diffuser tips a few days ago, they should be arriving in the mail tomorrow. I have another camping trip this weekend and I'm going to test them out.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Well I picked mine up from Walmart. Man, this thing is small. Max brightness on lumens obviously can't hold a candle to the LD20 with the diffuser. But it's still not bad for a AA lantern. Can't wait to try it out for a few nights on my next camping trip. The upper portion with the diffuser does not come off. I wish there was a hook under the battery compartment as well.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey glad you got your lantern. When you try it camping I think you'll find it far more pleasing to your eyes than the clear globe models :cool:, and much better output than the original Coleman MicroPacker.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Another thing I noticed is the battery tray cover is either a little loose or sensitive to the battery output. Anytime I touch the cover, or don't place the lantern on the table very gently while on, the light flickers a little dimmer than the current output.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another thing I noticed is the battery tray cover is either a little loose or sensitive to the battery output. Anytime I touch the cover, or don't place the lantern on the table very gently while on, the light flickers a little dimmer than the current output.
Hmmm... mine doesn't do that. Perhaps there is a weak contact somewhere.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Hmmm... mine doesn't do that. Perhaps there is a weak contact somewhere.

Yea, might be. I'll mess around with it tomorrow and see what I can find. Even if I can't fix that, it's ok because the lantern will be stationary in the tent anyway.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok, I just got back from SheDevil's CPF BBQ. Luckily there was a sphere and light meter setup for testing output. When I got a turn we tested the lantern. It was loaded with fresh Duracell alkaline cells. Remember this lantern has six levels. Here are the results in peak lumens.

IMG_0254.jpg

Level 6: 47 lumens

Level 5: 24 lumens

Level 4: 12 lumens

Level 3: 7 lumens

Level 2: 3.8 lumens

Level 1: 1.5 lumens

Notice that each level is roughly twice the previous level.

I suspect the manufacturer's rating of 85 lumens at level 6 are not out the front lumens, but instead probably measured without the frosted anti-glare globe.

Last edited:

compnaut

Newly Enlightened
That's a very interesting lantern. I've been trying to decide between a Cree warm flavolight and a Coleman XPS. This lantern might be more interesting for the longer run time. How does the light output compare to a flavolight? Has anyone compared these directly?

Also, like another poster I bought the diffuser for the LD20. It does work great, although since most of my intended application would be inside the house I am thinking that simply bouncing the flashlight output off the ceiling might meet my needs and allow me to take advantage of the better efficiency that the Fenix LD20 offers...still, this is a tempting lantern.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I used the light for a whole week and it held up pretty good. Not bad at all. :thumbsup:

AMelville

Newly Enlightened
I've got the 3AA MicroPacker. It's pretty good but the shape of the globe creates "hot spots" so the lighting is not too even. Maybe that's just my experience?

j3bnl

Enlightened
Thanks for the great review LowBat. I will probably end up buying one of these when I find one. I love the variable brightness and how you change the levels. Now if Coleman can make it 'pack away' like the Packaway, then it would be even better. I just love that feature! Or put the variable brightness in a frosted Packaway.

Great review so thanks.
Have to agree with you there UpChUcK, make these new features in a Packaway MkII, come on Coleman.;)
Not that keen on the look of the new lantern compared to the Packaway I have with the frosting mod ala Upchuck but would buy a new one if it had the frosting already applied and the new settings.

copperfox

Enlightened
I have two questions about this lantern:

1. Can you get to the LED without breaking anything? If so I think I would replace it with an XPG.

2. Does it have visible PWM on any level?