Coleman 3AA High Tech LED Mini Lantern

CyberCT

Enlightened
If anyone mods this lantern, let us know how it goes. It would be great to get an XPG or even XML in there at lower current draws.

copperfox

Enlightened
Can anyone with one of these see if there are screws anywhere, such as inside the battery compartment? If the whole thing is glued together then that's not a good sign.

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
There are four Phillips head screws, one in each corner of the battery compartment. I cannot tell for sure whether the globe is glued on or not. There are some grooves on the side that suggest that the globe may have been screwed on or snapped into place. It did not unscrew when I tried but I didn't try hard. I can provide pictures if there is a way to share/post them here or anonymously. I generally like the lantern but increased brightness would be welcome, so let us know if you mod it.

CyberCT

Enlightened
it would be awesome to get a better LED in there and a good driver. It's a shame the better flashlight manufacturers like fenix don't make lanterns too.

copperfox

Enlightened
I just ordered one from the Walmart site. I'll try my best to open it up when it arrives. :thumbsup:

Deal4

Enlightened
Great, keep us posted!

+1!
I'm new to quality LED lanterns. Is this the newest and greatest at this time?
Any ideas how this would compare to a "normal" Coleman lantern in terms of brightness?

LanternLover

Newly Enlightened
Depends on what you mean by newest and greatest. It is one of the few good AA based ones from Coleman and is also a relatively new model, probably the latest in the AA based lineup. Obviously Coleman has several others that are even brighter but use D size or rechargeable batteries. Its main competitors are the Favour Light 3xAA and 4xAA based models which are rated for higher output. There are threads for those lanterns in this forum. Search for them if you are interested.

CyberCT

Enlightened
+1!
I'm new to quality LED lanterns. Is this the newest and greatest at this time?
Any ideas how this would compare to a "normal" Coleman lantern in terms of brightness?

The greatest is still probably the Rayovac Sportsman Extreme 300 (OTF not ANSI) lumen lantern. The top comes off and it can be hung either way. It is very practical when camping or hanging it upside down next to a grill trying to cook at night. It takes 3D cells and the only way to use AAs with it really is to get the 2AA to D adapters they have on ebay, which I have. The batteries don't last that long. People have modded it with a better LED and a good driver so it's alwys in regulation.

TyJo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just ordered one from the Walmart site. I'll try my best to open it up when it arrives. :thumbsup:
Any updates on this? I am considering this lantern and potentially putting a warm/high cri emitter in it.

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
I love this little lantern, but I also would like to give it a warmer LED. I have been out of the LED modding business for a few years-- any guidance WRT appropriate warm replacements would be appreciated.

CyberCT

Enlightened
If someone with the modding knowledge would dare to put a neutral XPG-r4 in there, and post a newbie guide, that would be sweet! :)

mbirds

Newly Enlightened
I opened up my lantern and got to the LED-- it was easy. Those 4 screws inside the battery compartment are very long and hold everything together. I took pictures of the LED... and the stupid memory card was corrupted when I tried to transfer them! After I had put it back together!

Overall construction is very clean, looked high quality considering the price. Good contacts and thick wires. The dial turns two paddle contacts, and you can clearly see the contacts for the different levels. There are 6 different resistors on the bottom of varying sizes that provide the different brightnesses-- hence the lack of PWM (which I hate). A simple but elegant design. If these ever have a problem where they start to become intermittent, it may be because the spring paddles need to be bent down to make good contact, or that the contacts need cleaning. Hope this makes sense.

The LED is mounted on a board and metal heatsink.

I can't deal with disassembling it again right now but I want to know if it can be given a warm mod. I'll do it again when I'm in a better mood... unless someone else beats me to the punch.

CyberCT

Enlightened
I really want to see this done. My LED is too cool in color temp IMO. A neutral XPG would be a sweet swap.

CyberCT

Enlightened
So has anyone with some modding knowledge attempted or planning to attempt a mod of this lantern yet?

Chrisdm

Enlightened
So has anyone with some modding knowledge attempted or planning to attempt a mod of this lantern yet?

I don't have any real modding experience, but i just recieved this lantern and have a new LED on its way to me... Will let you know how it goes.

CyberCT

Enlightened
Sweet! I really like this lantern, and would love to hear how your modding goes. I could be next ...