Coleman 4AA Exponent® Pack-Away®

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Damn you Coleman!! Now that I've just imported an Osram Golden Dragon...

Does anyone knows if that thing is regulated and brighter than the stock Golden Dragon?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'll wait till a Cree gets put in the lantern. Maybe then it'll be bright enough to have a diffuser added to reduce the glare.

CLHC

Flashaholic
This is in response to their gas version. I'd like to see how this one goes with them Cree LED then. . .More waiting to do and this year's just getting started.

Enjoy!

Blacklight

Enlightened
Outdoors Fanatic said:
Damn you Coleman!! Now that I've just imported an Osram Golden Dragon...

Does anyone knows if that thing is regulated and brighter than the stock Golden Dragon?

Yes it's regulated. I don't have a gold dragon to test, so i can not tell you for sure.

Blacklight

Enlightened
CHC said:
This is in response to their gas version. I'd like to see how this one goes with them Cree LED then. . .More waiting to do and this year's just getting started.

Enjoy!

This entire thread is about a battery lantern. did you have questions about one of the Coleman fueled lanterns? If so shoot away and i will get you the answers.

if the question is how does it compare to the Excursion or Luminos lantern that are Butane powered packing lanterns from Coleman, then I will say that the CREE modified version is about the same. The current K2 is about half the light, but that will change one way or another by June (of course I have a nice little surprise coming too....hmm what could it be...If nothing else look for my little friend at Summer OR)!

Last edited:

CLHC

Flashaholic
Thanks for the info Blacklight! Much appreciated. Will wait for further lighting "goodies" from Coleman. . .

Enjoy!

83Venture

Enlightened
:popcorn: Looking foward to info on the updated lantern. June - still time to use it camping. :)

JRR

Newly Enlightened
I emailed Coleman and asked about this lantern. According to them, it's rated at 45 lumens, compared to the Wal-Mart micropacker at 8.

Just a FYI.

Blacklight

Enlightened
JRR said:
I emailed Coleman and asked about this lantern. According to them, it's rated at 45 lumens, compared to the Wal-Mart micropacker at 8.

Just a FYI.

The numbers are about right. I would have to go look at my engineers data, I believe these are just going out for actual testing. Question to you all, If there was a version that was say 120 to 140 lumens, how would you all feel about a textured globe to cut the glare and the artifacts at the expense of say 10 to 15% of the light?

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blacklight said:
The numbers are about right. I would have to go look at my engineers data, I believe these are just going out for actual testing. Question to you all, If there was a version that was say 120 to 140 lumens, how would you all feel about a textured globe to cut the glare and the artifacts at the expense of say 10 to 15% of the light?
From me you'd make a sale. I still use my Micropacker lantern because it has a diffuser tube and glare shield. Even though it's only 8 lumens, less output is a small price to pay when the alternative is blinding your semi-adapted night eyes.

If I may suggest, what about designing a sliding diffuser tube that operates similarly to the glare shield? The top of the diffuser tube could be attached to the lid and slide up and in place when the lantern is opened. If the user prefers not to use the diffuser, simply push a release tab on the lid before opening the lantern and the diffuser tube remains out of sight. Alternately the user could push the tab after deployment of the lantern and gravity would pull the diffuser tube back down into storage position. If the user wants to later use the diffuser, just close the lantern so the top of the diffuser clicks in place on the lid, then reopen the lantern and the diffuser is back in place keeping the glare down.

tron1974

Newly Enlightened
I still have a Micropacker I bought back in October. I've yet to use it for camping. 125 hour runtime is exceptional also. I find that I need something to play cards with or make dinner to. I wouldn't mind a light producing 100 or so lumens. I'd give up some lumens for reduced glare. That's darn bright.

I'd buy one, especially for $20-$30, if it were available for that price.

Dark Vapor

Newly Enlightened
Expanding on LB's sliding diffuser tube (SDT), use magnets to hold the SDT to the lid. Push a tab on the lid which then pushes the SDT into the storage position. Simply turn the unit upside down to slide the SDT to deploy, the magnets will hold it in place.

I have a battery powered flourescent lantern that has this feature for the built-in sliding glare shield, very effective. Hope it's not patent infringement.

Brock

Flashaholic
If I had to choose I would give up lumens for a softer even light. In a flashlight, no, in a lantern yes.

I like the idea of maybe a removable diffuser for the light. I often take some Roscolux 115 and stick it in there.

Biker Bear

Enlightened
The Greater Los Angeles Metropolitan Sprawl
On a high-output XRE version, I'd definitely give up some light for smoother, more even light. If the diffuser could be "optional" as others have suggested, that would be even better.

To add a bit of a "wish list"... I'd also like a few light levels starting with low, if they're selected by clicking one button to cycle through. If there's a separate brightness selector, that's not an issue. I'd also like it to be as "omnivorous" as possible when it comes to batteries - able to safely and effectively use rechargeable NiMH, or primary Alkalines or Lithiums. (Input voltage from about 4.8v to 6.8v.)

To go way out on a limb - a power input jack, in the event I finally build my camping power pack. ;)

Blacklight

Enlightened
Biker Bear said:
On a high-output XRE version, I'd definitely give up some light for smoother, more even light. If the diffuser could be "optional" as others have suggested, that would be even better.

To add a bit of a "wish list"... I'd also like a few light levels starting with low, if they're selected by clicking one button to cycle through. If there's a separate brightness selector, that's not an issue. I'd also like it to be as "omnivorous" as possible when it comes to batteries - able to safely and effectively use rechargeable NiMH, or primary Alkalines or Lithiums. (Input voltage from about 4.8v to 6.8v.)

To go way out on a limb - a power input jack, in the event I finally build my camping power pack. ;)

Actually, thats a good idea, I will talk to my team about starting with LOW. On this light an optional diffuser is not really an option, due to size and weight constraints. I wish I could send one out to you all for a review, but right now the only one I have that is not slated for a customer is a XRE-version, and that would not be a fair comparison to what is currently shipping (currently its a K2 at about 45 lumens).

Weylan

Enlightened
I really like the lantern form factor and the Cree-XRE is nice and efficient.

Having a Low and a HIGH is wonderful! Really a REALLY LOW low medium and high is ideal. A lantern does not need a flash mode! <grin>.

But many times you need a lantern that can do 360 degree output, but a retractable screen might be really nice for the times you don't want 360 degrees. So you get 180 out the front and no glare in your eyes. This would majorly negate the streaky beam, because you can bounce the light or point the light away from you. Think of it as a retractable reflector that wraps around the light but retracts into a roll, out of the way and safe. This could give me the best of both worlds.

We would be happy to help offer choices and suggestions for the ultimate light. We are I bet as happy to have you here listening to our suggestions as well as tell us what is not feasable, because we all hunt for the ultimate lights.

Last edited: