Coleman 4AA Exponent® Pack-Away®

filibuster

Enlightened
Blacklight, I got to look at the new Coast LED Lenser Revolution headlamp and thought their implementation of a separate dimmer switch was a very good idea. You can adjust the light intensity before even turning on the light. For a lantern I like the idea of starting on low because I don't want to blind everyone in a tent when I need night-light type lighting. The dimmer switch on a lantern would allow me to know what amount of light I would get before I turned it on but quickly allow me to increase it as needed and the setting I stop at would be the same setting it will come back on with the next time I fire it up.

I dislike having to cycle through a lot of modes to get the setting I want but I will suffer through it when turning it on but when turning a light off it should go off immediately and not force me to go through any modes to get there. Many interfaces will go off immediately after 2 or so seconds of letting up on the button.

And please, if you ever think of putting a strobe function on the lantern do not make it part of the normal interface. Make me hold down the power button for a few seconds to get to it or something but please don't make me have to go through it as part of or even at the end of a dim to bright progression.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Weylan said:
I really like the lantern form factor and the Cree-XRE is nice and efficient.

Having a Low and a HIGH is wonderful! Really a REALLY LOW low medium and high is ideal. A lantern does not need a flash mode! <grin>.

But many times you need a lantern that can do 360 degree output, but a retractable screen might be really nice for the times you don't want 360 degrees. So you get 180 out the front and no glare in your eyes. This would majorly negate the streaky beam, because you can bounce the light or point the light away from you. Think of it as a retractable reflector that wraps around the light but retracts into a roll, out of the way and safe. This could give me the best of both worlds.

We would be happy to help offer choices and suggestions for the ultimate light. We are I bet as happy to have you here listening to our suggestions as well as tell us what is not feasable, because we all hunt for the ultimate lights.

Are you thinking a slide up reflector kind of like thsi guy has? http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=4347-702&categoryid=24756

It has a 120 degree slide up reflector (roughly).

I think I can figure that out pretty easy for a next gen, but youwont see it out this year, tooling, and such takes too long, and I am working on lots of other new products.

Weylan

Enlightened
OHHH! very nice for the sliding up reflector.

I do like the 4 cell if possible, because the of the extended run times. The 3 cells usually mean no regulation and usually you get more run time with 4AA capacity.

The slide up is a cool idea and I thought of that, this works. The candela candel light has something like this and this may actually work better. I think the slide up shield can be fragile or present engineering difficulties. But I see the scroll out mylar shield provide some of the same dificulties so I am looking forward to maybe trying the 3AA version and finding more specs on that? Other then the picture, can you post some more technical specs on it?

By the way, I do have to admit for energy LM/watt, I like the output of the florecent lights. But some of the new LEDs are starting to get close.

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
Weylan said:
OHHH! very nice for the sliding up reflector.

I do like the 4 cell if possible, because the of the extended run times. The 3 cells usually mean no regulation and usually you get more run time with 4AA capacity.

The slide up is a cool idea and I thought of that, this works. The candela candel light has something like this and this may actually work better. I think the slide up shield can be fragile or present engineering difficulties. But I see the scroll out mylar shield provide some of the same dificulties so I am looking forward to maybe trying the 3AA version and finding more specs on that? Other then the picture, can you post some more technical specs on it?

By the way, I do have to admit for energy LM/watt, I like the output of the florecent lights. But some of the new LEDs are starting to get close.

Yeah, I agree, for now I prefer a warmer light as well. I think in the not too distant future you will see the ability to choose your temperature range become much easier, then you can get some nice lanterns with that warm, more natural light, I am trying to get one done for 2008, we will see if the LED manufacturers can deliver what they are promising.

On the Specs for the MicroPacker, let me post them Monday, I am out of my office today so I don't have them right here.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well Blacklight, if the sliding diffuser isn't an option, then I'll vote for your idea of a textured globe.

Phredd

Enlightened
Blacklight said:
If there was a version that was say 120 to 140 lumens, how would you all feel about a textured globe to cut the glare and the artifacts at the expense of say 10 to 15% of the light?

I vote for the textured globe. I wouldn't use it without a textured globe. I diffused my River Rock and Osram lanterns, but I'm sure Coleman could do a better job. How about a mailing list when you start with the Cree?

Phredd

Lit Up

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blacklight said:
I think I can figure that out pretty easy for a next gen, but youwont see it out this year, tooling, and such takes too long, and I am working on lots of other new products.

Would any of those other new products consist of a water-activated/floating 2D model flashlight with a Cree? :grin2:

I have a PR-SMJLED in one and really impressed. That 3 inch reflector throws it a good ways.

steve_vance

Enlightened
Weylan said:
I wonder if they are running bright enough? They may be our solution to the missing OSram Golden dragon here in the USA. Any idea on price? A Cree mod host replacement! <grin> Gack! We have not even seen the light physically yet and I was thinking of a MOD! GADS someone stop me...

The idea if these are low priced would be nice. I have someone this might be good for so I am going to have to keep an eye out for these.

VERY SOON they will be made with the Cree XR-E. 1st production run was designated for K2, but Coleman indicates that the XR-E will be the standard LED used in the future.

Blacklight

Enlightened
steve_vance said:
VERY SOON they will be made with the Cree XR-E. 1st production run was designated for K2, but Coleman indicates that the XR-E will be the standard LED used in the future.

Steve is correct. April production will be CREE XR-E P4 Bin. So I would say look for the packaging change calling it out in about June.

Brock, on a discount for a buy...let me check with PR, I have only been here for about a year and a half, so have not looked into this before..

Lit Up, I have not looked much at the auto-on 2D as an LED light, would you mind sending me seom pictures of how well your mod is working? Would love to see it.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blacklight said:
Steve is correct. April production will be CREE XR-E P4 Bin. So I would say look for the packaging change calling it out in about June.
Does that mean the Exponent Pack-Away will be fitted with a Cree XR-E and available this summer? If so you can put me down for one, preferably with the textured globe you suggested. :)

Blacklight

Enlightened
LowBat said:
Does that mean the Exponent Pack-Away will be fitted with a Cree XR-E and available this summer? If so you can put me down for one, preferably with the textured globe you suggested. :)

yes, but these wont have a textured lens at this point.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Weylan said:
Blacklight,

You were going to post some more specs?

Any group buy options?

Sorry, I ended up having to go out of the country on business with short notice.

Let me see what I can get up this week, I have to get with my engineer.

LowBat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Blacklight said:
yes, but these wont have a textured lens at this point.
Thanks ok, I'll make my own diffuser. Please let us know when we can buy the Cree edition.

depusm12

Flashlight Enthusiast
BlackLight

I have 2 of the yellow MicroPacker Lanterns and I used them earlier this winter when the power went out. But how about a different color in those say maybe a forest green or black , a brighter led maybe a Lux III or even 4 Nichia leds with the internal diffuser and a hi/low option. Also on the diffuser instead of textured maybe a light to medium frosted plastic/acrylic difuser, maybe even a 2C version.

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
depusm12 said:
BlackLight

I have 2 of the yellow MicroPacker Lanterns and I used them earlier this winter when the power went out. But how about a different color in those say maybe a forest green or black , a brighter led maybe a Lux III or even 4 Nichia leds with the internal diffuser and a hi/low option. Also on the diffuser instead of textured maybe a light to medium frosted plastic/acrylic difuser, maybe even a 2C version.

Working on a few options on this, but too early to talk, when I have definite commitments from our customers, will let you know. The product we are working on will have a CREE LED in it, and will be around 50 to 60 lumens. I am hoping to have this finalized in the next 45 days or so, I saw samples yesterday, and man they look awesome.

fleegs

Enlightened
I just received my Coleman Exponent Lantern. It is really a neat design. I like it a lot. I have not had the chance to use it in the dark yet. I have been upgrading my computer (what a headache). I will update this post. But the design itself is really neat. It's smaller than I thought. I hope lithium batts are OK to use with it (Yes lithium not lithium ion).

rob