Coleman Cree XR-E headlight

HeadlampJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Capacity (measured in mAh - note the capitalisation) does not involve voltage, so placing three cells in series triples the voltage but the resulting battery has the same capacity. Placing cells in parallel triples the capacity with the same voltage.

Multiplying capacity by voltage will give you the energy in a battery, normally measured in mWh. Placing three cells in series or parallel will triple the energy.

So if I have a headlamp that requires 3 aaa NiMh (1.2 v 1000 mah each) rechargeable batteries to run the light and the battery pack in the light is setup in "series" then I have 3.6v output with 1000 mah capacity?

But if I try to put 3 li-ion 10440 (3.6v 600mah each)rechargeable batteries in the same battery case of the light (set up in series) then I get 10.8v output with the same 600mah capacity?

But if I set up the same 3 li-ion 10440 (3.6v 600mah each)rechargeable batteries in "parallel" in this headlamp then I get 3.6v output but with 1800 mah capacity? Is that correct?

hopkins

Enlightened
Yes you stated that correctly headlampjunkie.

Also the lithium ion battery has a low self discharge when not being used
which is a way of saying they 'last longer'.

The good part of your headlamp dilemma is that you probably need to buy
another headlamp that has the required attributes.

Soon you may have a box full of headlamps like the rest of us.

HeadlampJunkie

Newly Enlightened
Hopkins, thanks for the affirmation.

I currently have some Duraloop NiMh 800mah and Tenergyloop NiMh 1000mah AAA batteries and don't get me wrong I like them. They are fantastic. But we are always trying to do it better, right. I think I can get some 10440 Li-Ion rechargeables and modify the wiring in my flashlight to accept Li-Ion in parallel so I won't go over voltage on my light. Worth a try for 1800 mah

frasera

Newly Enlightened
There is a newer version that walmart only seems to carry. 108 lumen with red and blue secondary lights.

Got one, pretty decent, the high is only about as bright as my second gen maglite 2aa though, but for that price, it doesn't really matter. Weird it isn't sold on amazon though.

Not sure whats different about the emitter but the run times have increased by an hour..and there is a medium mode.

As for the thing supposedly being loose or coming out, that isn't happening anymore, the frame is two sides held together by screws, I've never seen the original but if it were loose enough to stretch it might have been one piece that allowed them to snap it in. Now it isn't comin out.

Only major flaws beside the only 45 degree tilt is that they didn't mark the battery door for rotation stop points, I fixed that with a marker.
100_1217.jpg

Last edited:

my#1hobby

Enlightened
Re: 105 lumen 3AAA Coleman Cree XR-E headlight

I just bought a Coleman Max 3AAA l.e.d. headlamp from Walmart in Poway, CA for $25. The light has a Cree XR-E l.e.d. and claims 105 lumens on high. I think this is the first Cree headlight at a brick and mortar store with more than one level. It claims 6 hours on high, 20 hours on low, and 25 on the two red l.e.d.s. The two point bracket (pivot point) seems strong and does a good job of keeping the light from moving up or down on it's own. The low level seems to be about 20 lumens by my guess. Settings are adjusted by turning a dial on the right side of the bracket. It is set up pretty well. Turn it one click back towards you for red l.e.d.s to preserve night vision without going through brighter settings. Turn it away from you one click for high (when you need high, you need it to come on first), and two clicks forward for low. This U.I. should actually work best for most people. The Cree l.e.d. puts out a wide floody beam with a decent sized hotspot. There are no donut holes in the beam, though there is one or two rings if you go white wall hunting at close range. The reflector is textured with a small smooth ring directly around the l.e.d. (probably gives it better throw). I doubt the light is regulated since there's a large resistor in the battery compartment. Light doesn't seem to be waterproof (nor does it claim to be). I found out that a Jakstrap is the perfect size to replace the current headband strap (not that there's anything wrong with the one supplied). I just found it useful to be able to attach on a backup light like a Fenix P2D or P3D in case the headlight fails or the batteries die. I think this light is a step forward from the River Rock Cree headlight since it has more than one level and uses normal batteries. Next steps toward a better headlight will be making one that is waterproof with current based regulation. I bought this light because my PT Quad headlights were cracking and wearing out and I needed a replacement. I couldn't wait for Princeton Tec to update the EOS and Quad. However, if they do update, I might have to buy a new headlight (if something better doesn't come along first).

Funny, that's the same Walmart I bought my Colemax MAXX 105lm headlamp at too a few years ago and I still use it on my hikes. Dorcy has a new head lamp on their website that says it produces 120 lumen of light output in a broad beam and will be available 5/19/12. They now rate the lumen output according to the ANSI FL 1 standard so I'll probably pick one up and see what it can do.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can paint with it for about 20-40 minutes before it is too dim to see. No lux means no detail vision.

I didn't like the xrc version either, which broke after a week. Compared to the $6 Biglots light (generic 50 lumen/watt emitter with deeper reflector), I like the Biglots light better. Just picked up a home depot $12 Rayovac 100 lumen xp-c. I like it better than the Coleman and Biglots light. I was very surpised how well the emmiter does in the shallow reflector--way better than a xp-e, I think. The Rayvac high is okay for about 6-7 foot distant white wall hunting and the low to about 3 foot (arm length). I do not believe the runtime. From my knowledge of emitters, my bet is the high will last about 1.5 hours of GOOD light, and about 5.5 hours on low of good light.

These 100 lumen lights are a good starter lights. I still think the HP12 4 AA xpg is a better deal at $60-$80. It blows these lights away on brightness and runtime. I am not sure how I can put this $12 light to good use. Maybe as a reading light, a camping light for a kid, or in a pinch. I will need to buy some 3AAA lsd's, since it may be used once a year.

Last edited:

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast

I got the newest version of this light a little while ago. It uses a Cree XP-E or XP-C (not sure which). It is still rated at 108 lumens, however I think my 70 lumen PT EOS is brighter. It's not a bad light, and I do like that it has high, medium, and low as well as colored beams, but there are plenty of brighter lights. I think the battery meter is a gimmick that wastes power the entire time the light is on. I don't think running this light on low will be very efficient due to the battery meter. I think the Rayovac Indestructible is better for the money, but the Coleman has a little better beam pattern for hiking. Honestly, I rarely use either light anymore for hiking myself. I'm too picky about beam patterns to use either for a night hike. Both lights are now loaner lights.