Coleman Max 115 lumens?

j_rico

Newly Enlightened
Hello,

I read the sticky at the top about misleading claims on lumens etc. I bought a handful of coleman max CR2 flashlights that claim 115 lumens. Can this be trusted? Are these 115 lumen lights?

Wondering if I can use them as a benchmark for other lights.

Thanks

kbark

Newly Enlightened
I have one of those Coleman Max CR2 lights. I'd say they put out around 100 lumens. Nice little lights but the batteries are pricey.

It's kinda hard to compare lights of different outputs. They have to be 2x as bright to really make a difference.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i have 1 too, output seems about right, i got mine at least 3 years ago, old xr e led with green tint, heatsinking seems to be good, accedentaly turned it on im my pocket, noticed only when it started to burn my leg, runtime is not too great.

j_rico

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the replies.

Yes the batteries are a bit pricy, but I bought a load of them online and got them for a decent price. Since that time I have seen rechargable CR2s. May try those some time.

Been pretty fond of these lights. They are compact and light and pretty bright. And I got a bunch of them for $10/each on ebay.

kbark,

You mention it is hard to compare two different lights. How do you guys test them? Some kind of meter or chart?

j_rico

Newly Enlightened
I googled lumen tester and answered that one.

Getting the idea there is this whole flashlight culture and industy of which I am totally ignorant.

Probably going to be expensive before the end.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some measure lumens at the LED, and some measure lumens as they come out of the front. There is also a new standard ANSI. Just in how you look at it.

kbark

Newly Enlightened
You can also use a 14500 li-ion battery instead of the CR2s. You might have to add a magnet or a solder blob to the end of the cell depending on the length.

These lights also make good hi-power laser hosts. Do some google searching and you will see what I mean.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can also use a 14500 li-ion battery instead of the CR2s. You might have to add a magnet or a solder blob to the end of the cell depending on the length.

hm interesting, never though it would work of i li ion cell instead of 2x3v cells, i'll try it tonight.

j_rico

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info guys. May have try that 14500 thing.

I see Amazon carries rechargeable Li-ion CR2s by ultrafire. Read some hit or miss reviews here. What do you think?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the info guys. May have try that 14500 thing.

I see Amazon carries rechargeable Li-ion CR2s by ultrafire. Read some hit or miss reviews here. What do you think?

if the driver is based on 7135 chip than you'll burn it with rechargable cr2, too much volts. those chips are good for 6v max.
at least 1 14500 wont burn it even if it wont work,

j_rico

Newly Enlightened
if the driver is based on 7135 chip than you'll burn it with rechargable cr2, too much volts. those chips are good for 6v max.
at least 1 14500 wont burn it even if it wont work,

Thanks.

So much I do not know. How do I tell what is the chip?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'll get home take mine apart, see what the driver is, and try 14500 cell, i'll post results tonight if i can.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
bad news, i looked all over appt. for that light, can't find it, i know it is here i saw it a week ago or so, can't find it now, i'll keep looking untill i find it, i know i didn't take it anywhere, and no one took it. so sorry for the delay.

Last edited:

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok found it, there is no driver, there is only 8,2om resistor, from 2 cr2 cells it draws 560ma, with 1 14500 it is dimmer and draws 230 ma.
so you can't use rechargable cr2, you'll burn the led, you can use 14500 but it'll be dimmer, but will run longer.

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be fine using rechargeable CR2's if the resistor is 8.2 Ohms. The resistor should be able to handle two watts.

2 x Li-ion cr2's = 7.4 v. Figuring a vf of 3.5v. for the LED, it should receive 500mA current.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
You should be fine using rechargeable CR2's if the resistor is 8.2 Ohms. The resistor should be able to handle two watts.

2 x Li-ion cr2's = 7.4 v. Figuring a vf of 3.5v. for the LED, it should receive 500mA current.

well you figured wrong,
1 it gets 560ma with 6v, how did you figure it will get 500ma with 7,4v or so volts???? 7,4 is nominal voltage, they get 4,2 freshly charged. keep in mind 6v is no load voltage, they sag under load, considering the draw is 560ma, for a very small cell, load voltage is around 5 or so.
2 have seen that resistor?? i have, no way it'll handle 2w. it is tiny smd resistor

but please feel free to try it with yours and let us know how it works out, before we burn ours.

Last edited:

nikon

Flashlight Enthusiast
alpg88.....Let's try to keep a friendlier tone, shall we?

The emitter is not receiving all the power from the batteries. After going through the resistor, the power to the emitter will be considerably less. The emitter can handle 1000mA.

When I said that the resistor should be able to handle two watts, I meant that one should use a resistor capable of handling two watts. My grammer should have been more specific. I didn't take the light apart to actually see the size of the resistor, so I don't know the power rating. However, there are some very small resistors capable of handling high power loads.

Regarding the calculations, I used a standard formula... http://ledcalc.com

Last edited: