Coleman White Gas Lantern conversion?

Diesel_Bomber

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome thread! :twothumbs Got to love Coleman stuff; nearly indestructible and parts are still available cheap. I've bought MANY lanterns over the years at garage sales for near nothing, spent $5 on parts and a few minutes on cleaning and safety checks, and had them running again.

I love fuel powered lighting, and often have some kind of oil lamp burning whenever I'm home. I've run countless gallons of plain ordinary regular unleaded through Coleman pressure stuff designed for white gas. Sometimes I have to operate the tip cleaner a little more often, most times I don't notice any difference at all. Mineral spirits, aka paint thinner, is VERY similar to kerosene(check the MSDS for both), and will burn in these as well with a bit of priming. I've run the suitcase stoves on #2 diesel by preheating the generator with a propane torch and using very low pressure in the tank. I have yet to run across a Petromax lantern, so I don't have any pressure lighting that will burn diesel. :sigh:

:buddies:

Blacklight

Enlightened
What a find! Thanks for (eventually :D) sharing.

According to Herb W. Ebendorf, Coleman Company Historian, the model 237 was made as early as 1941. Is there a date and country of manufacture on the lantern? I believe 237-299 is the generator model number.

Here's instructions on how to identify the date of manufacture.

http://www.pressure-lanterns-il.com/technical/coleman.htm

Sources:
http://www.colemancollectorsclub.com/tech_models.htm#other

http://www.geocities.jp/gkpllantern/35_Coleman_236-635.html

Country of origin is US, the white gas lanterns are all still built in the US today, right in Wichita Kansas.

Blacklight

Enlightened
Propane lanterns are actually birghter than the white gas lanterns, but white gas works in cold situations, and at altitudes that propane struggle with. I also like that they cost less to run, and you dont have to have a bunch of propane bottles, and its easier to recycle an empty Coleman Fuel can.

cy

Flashaholic
we must have a bunch of dud propane lanterns (boy scouts) all of our white gas lanterns are much brighter.

propane is favored because it's safer to light. white gas runs much longer and better in colder weather. but tricky for boy scouts to light.

Propane lanterns are actually birghter than the white gas lanterns, but white gas works in cold situations, and at altitudes that propane struggle with. I also like that they cost less to run, and you dont have to have a bunch of propane bottles, and its easier to recycle an empty Coleman Fuel can.

eluminator

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I was a boy scout, we had a Coleman white gas lantern. I don't remember it being difficult to light.

I remember camping one night when it was pitch black. You couldn't see your hand in front your face. The Coleman lantern had a broken mantle. We didn't have many matches and needed them to light the lantern and then get a fire going. I changed the mantle by feel in complete darkness.

That was many years ago. I think the lanterns then gave a brighter and whiter light. Apparently it's impossible to get the original mantles anymore. Because of a fear of lawsuits, the concoction used for mantles now doesn't contain thorium and is not as efficient.

Last edited:

dw51

Enlightened
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but at least I might bring it back to life.

Is there some way of converting a dual-fuel Coleman to run on kerosene as well?

yuandrew

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there some way of converting a dual-fuel Coleman to run on kerosene as well ?

There was one website I found where someone has attempted running Coleman lanterns on kerosene. The model 200A lantern worked the best but he also got a model 285 (I believe that's the dual fuel model) to work as well but it was a bit touchy (it will only work on the lower setting)

http://www.homestead-products.com/multfuel.htm

In both cases, it was necessary to pre-heat the generator tube prior to lighting the main burner to the mantles. This was done by adding a pre-heater cup to both lanterns which must be filled with denatured alcohol and burned to heat the generator I assume no other modifications were made to both lanterns.

I've thought about doing this but using a small propane torch to heat the generator tube while slowly turning the fuel on and then directing the torch flame at the mantles. However, I don't have a 200A or a 285; all the Colemans I've collected are propane models

Last edited:

Blacklight

Enlightened
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but at least I might bring it back to life.

Is there some way of converting a dual-fuel Coleman to run on kerosene as well?

Coleman actually sells two models built for kerosene.

639C700
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=639C700&categoryid=1025

and 214C700
http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colemancom/detail.asp?product_id=214C700&categoryid=1025

if you decide to get oen don't forget to use friends and family discount will save you money.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
That was many years ago. I think the lanterns then gave a brighter and whiter light. Apparently it's impossible to get the original mantles anymore. Because of a fear of lawsuits, the concoction used for mantles now doesn't contain thorium and is not as efficient.

Thorium mantles come up on an ebay search

current one is here http://cgi.ebay.com/natural-uranium...14&_trkparms=72:1205|66:4|65:12|39:1|240:1318

Apparantly they can ship USPS ok under certain requirements and people are buying them up. Could they be used in lieu of the tie up coleman type mantle and would you guess thats what they are being used for?

camper1970

Newly Enlightened
As far as running Reg. Unleaded in an older coleman lantern or stove.... I have been doing this for a while now in my 1968 model 425D stove and older lanterns and they work great... I do add about 1oz. of automotive fuel injector/carb. cleaner per gal. I have never had a problem yet. I have used about at least 6+gals threw this stove in the last 3 years.... I think what also may be helping this is that all the unleaded gas these days has at least 10% ethenal in it there fore burning cleaner. Also remember to only use the 87 octain or less not more.

I am curious about the Naptha..... where are you finding this and is it cheaper or the same cost as 87 gasoline?

likeguymontag

Enlightened
white gas runs much longer and better in colder weather. but tricky for boy scouts to light.

:candle::poof: I was a boy scout. Based on what I saw, I wouldn't let a boy scout anywhere near white gas or gasoline. Thankfully our troop stuck to propane with the occasional splash of kerosene to light bonfires for ceremonies.

FlameKeeper

Newly Enlightened
This has some old posts and misleading information .Some points I would like to correct here.

The Coleman 236 and 237 lanterns were designed and built in Canada but the Canadian Div of the company. The two remain the largest and brightest Gasoline and Kerosne lanterns Coleman ever produced. Later they were produced in the USA and Mexico in the form of kits from the Toronto factory. The Influence of the Canadian two post style of lantern can still be seen in the Only remaining large Kerosene lantern still produced the 639B ( product of USA ), Its a direct line it even shares the globe with the 1939 236 Major.....

As for dual fueling of presure lamps there is no issue unless the lantern has a Glyptal coated tank ( this coating was a band aid solution to prevent rust when the brass founts ended production ). Later Epoxy coated founts are safe from the solvent properties of modern gasoline and obviously the older brass and non coated steel are fine.

When using pump gasoline in a lantern there a small issue of clogging since the fuel is not as clean and refined as Naphtha gas. But cleaning a Gen is as easy as burning out the tars and Varnish with a niny torch and removing the carbon or desolving it with carb cleaner.

Some lanterns like the 237 and 247 ( Canadian Kersosene version of the 242 ) are marked " for Gasoline or Kerosene generator must be preheated ", In the case of the 247 the TK66 generator is a compromise that will run a little rich on Kero and a little lean on gasoline so it works. The Canadian 237 used a slightly larger gas tip ( I tip .0085 ) VS US made gens ( V tip .008 ).

The 237 Empire is probably the safest and most reliable multi fuel lantern out there and can be trusted to burn anything from Diesel to Gas.

AS far as the safety of the gas lanterns goes well they are only as safer as the user and I am not sure I would let young Boyscouts use them unsupervised.

For indoor use Coleman made table lamps like the 156 Kerosene ( I think the Kerosene units are not only better performers but safer ) and there is information posted on the net to convert other types using the R55, T66 or T44 generators to kerosene or true dual fuel

cy

Flashaholic
what a first post! welcome to cpf...

interesting that you consider a 237 empire the most reliable multifuel... can you post a picture or link to 237 empire?

here's my 237... will this burn kerosene?

coleman.JPG

This has some old posts and misleading information .Some points I would like to correct here.

The Coleman 236 and 237 lanterns were designed and built in Canada but the Canadian Div of the company. The two remain the largest and brightest Gasoline and Kerosne lanterns Coleman ever produced. Later they were produced in the USA and Mexico in the form of kits from the Toronto factory. The Influence of the Canadian two post style of lantern can still be seen in the Only remaining large Kerosene lantern still produced the 639B ( product of USA ), Its a direct line it even shares the globe with the 1939 236 Major.....

As for dual fueling of presure lamps there is no issue unless the lantern has a Glyptal coated tank ( this coating was a band aid solution to prevent rust when the brass founts ended production ). Later Epoxy coated founts are safe from the solvent properties of modern gasoline and obviously the older brass and non coated steel are fine.

When using pump gasoline in a lantern there a small issue of clogging since the fuel is not as clean and refined as Naphtha gas. But cleaning a Gen is as easy as burning out the tars and Varnish with a niny torch and removing the carbon or desolving it with carb cleaner.

Some lanterns like the 237 and 247 ( Canadian Kersosene version of the 242 ) are marked " for Gasoline or Kerosene generator must be preheated ", In the case of the 247 the TK66 generator is a compromise that will run a little rich on Kero and a little lean on gasoline so it works. The Canadian 237 used a slightly larger gas tip ( I tip .0085 ) VS US made gens ( V tip .008 ).

The 237 Empire is probably the safest and most reliable multi fuel lantern out there and can be trusted to burn anything from Diesel to Gas.

AS far as the safety of the gas lanterns goes well they are only as safer as the user and I am not sure I would let young Boyscouts use them unsupervised.

For indoor use Coleman made table lamps like the 156 Kerosene ( I think the Kerosene units are not only better performers but safer ) and there is information posted on the net to convert other types using the R55, T66 or T44 generators to kerosene or true dual fuel

Last edited:

FlameKeeper

Newly Enlightened
Yes that lantern is a 237 and was designed to burn Kerosene. American 237s and 237Bs are marked Kerosene only but they are quite happy with Naptha gas or pump gas You may find when using the American 237-2991 gas generator the V tip is a bit small for gasoline the lantern flickers and seems to be a little weak. You can correct this by replacing the gas tip with an " R " from a G6 or G6A generator ( Canadian replacement part from the original 635 lantern, this is the lantern that replaced the 236 in 1970 ). The Gen made in the USA for the 635B lantern is no good the gas tip will not fit the 237-2991.

AS the gas tips wear out over time you wil find they richen up and the lantern starts to get orange smelly and dim on Kerosene but it may work juist fine on a mix or pure gasoline. The Amish use a lot of 237s and 236s to this day and most mix camping fuel into the kerosene at about 20% to lean them a touch as they wear and reduce the carbon fouling in the gas genrator tube.

A worn V tip from a dual mantle like like a 220 or an R tip will often lean up and cure a weak yellow flame in a 236. The 236-299 gas generator was last produced in 1990 so parts are hard to get for that one now. Where possible buy the Canadian versions of parts. For some reason the main plant in Witichita has always worn out and used there tooling to long and the varriation is gas tips sizes in brand new parts can often be noticed in a lantern you are tuning. NAFTA killed the Toronto plant so there are no parts made after 1989 from the good Canadian tooling, but all of the spares and parts made there not packaged were sent to the USA. You can usualy pick them out as being red and white packages or they have French English and Spannish instructions ( and or are marked made in Canada )

Thats an interesting picture cy. You apear to have the top from a 228 and globe on that lantern.

Here is a 1947 237 Empire complete and original
100_8767.jpg

And here is a video I made of the 237 and 247

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JFkV7YBCk0

Take care of that 237, they are getting hard to come by now and you will not buy a new lantern from Coleman built today with the same quailty and care.

There is another video on Youtube with a fellow selling Chinese copies of a Petromax lantern ( this is an old German design that goes back to the 1930s and is still made and copied around the world ). This fellow claims his lanterns will burn any fuel safely. I disagree because it has lead seals and solder joints and no possitive mechanical locking seal on the pump. The point is a leak with a lantern full of Kerosene or diesel fuel is usualy just a mess, but a leak in a lantern like this with gasoline is a fireball. Stick with Keroesene only in lanterns that were only designed to be kerosene lanterns.

http://www.youtube.com/user/britelyt

Generaly American style lanterns are gasoline lanterns first that were adapted to kerosene. The short list of lanterns that do this would be the early Colemans, AGMs ( American Gas{tly} Machines ), Alladin, Preway all made nice old Collectable lanterns that were gasoline safe and then modified for kerosene. But with any old lantern these things need to be respected and carefuly serviced and tested before use. AGMs for example are bad for stress cracks in the tanks.

Last edited:

Kamperdave

Newly Enlightened
I have just bought at a yard sale a 237 mmuch like the pic posted by FlameKeeper. With the only difference being that I can see is the globe (which could be a replacement on mine) and the area below the globe is green paint not stainless like FlameKeepers. It is well dented and used. I'd love if anyone could send me in the right direction on how to restore and ensure I won't blow myself up. LOL, I love older stuff and really want this to become a working lamp and not just a decoration. Any information on the KampKook lcs 41 I just bought would also be a help.

cy

Flashaholic
flamekeeper... thanks for the very informative post!

yup hanging on to my 237... next up is to try the fuel it was designed for... kerosene

Larzz

Newly Enlightened
That is some great information there Flamekeeper!

I got 6 of the coleman 236 Majors and that part about using a worn V tip from a 220 series just might save me a ton of trouble in finding a generator.

I also have 4 of the 237 Empire Kerosene, 4 of the newer 639, 2 635, and more than just a few of the 220 and 228 D's, E's, F's, J's etc...

I tend to enjoy the Kerosene lanterns a lot. something about pre-heating them reminds me of some of the old Diesel tractors on the farm we and others back home had to heat up as well before starting the main engine.

Not to mention the kerosene lanterns will burn all kerosene products such as petroleum and parafin oil. Least of all that in a Emergency Kerosene and Kerosene products will be much easier to come by then white gas.

I would ask please, if anyone has some generators for the 236, please get with me.