Coleman White Gas Lantern conversion?

cy

Flashaholic
welcome to cpf larzzz... no spare parts, but visited a bonified Coleman lantern nut in Supulpa, Oklahoma last week.

found him on craigslist and was there buying a Stihl chainsaw. walked into his garage, which was filled with hundreds of antique Coleman lanterns.

was flabbergasted at all the Coleman lanterns.... had never seen 98% of models he had. wish I had a camera with me....

FlashPilot

Newly Enlightened
Im just reviving a very useful and informative old thread. Thanks to all the great comments here, Im the proud new owner of a 1948 Coleman Empire 237 kerosene lantern in great condition. This one is in the line-up of the brightest ever produced by Coleman and is rated at 500 c.p. All I need now is a new globe and a new fuel cap o-ring before I light-er-up.:devil:

5 years ago, I bought a new Coleman Northstar 2000 Dual Fuel lantern and had problems with constant brightness fluctuations. It would get bright and then dim about once every second and cycle back and forth at that pace (about a 25% dip in lumens and then back to full power). After spending hours on the phone with Coleman (and replacing 2 generators, a fuel pickup tube, several mantles, different batches of brand new coleman fuel and unleaded fuel, experimenting with different fuel tank levels and pressures), I gave up and returned the dam thing to the store for a refund. After reading several positive comments online about this lantern, I decided to give it one more try and bought another brand new Coleman 2000 for $125. What a waste of time! It had the exact same problems as the one before it. I havent even mentioned how cheaply these things are built today and all the flimsy stamped parts used throughout. Dont buy one of these pieces of complete garbage. Instead, hunt down an old Coleman lantern in good condition. You can look forward to giving it to your great grandkids for their continued use once you're long gone. 237's are going for around $100 or less for great used ones, and they are built 10 times better than the current models. Coleman still makes the 237 generator tubes for them as well, which isnt the case for most older Coleman lanterns. leacockcolemancenter still sells thorum based mantles manufacturered by peerless. They are less expensive than what walmart sells coleman mantles for. Coleman mantles are very fragile and produce a dim yellowish light. The Peerless branded ones are strong and produce a bright white light that must be at least 25-30% brighter. Its a superior product in every way you could imagine. I also purchased a spare 237 generator from leacock just in case... great people and knowledgeable over the phone.

Thanks to all for "turning me on" to this little known and greatley misunderstood masterpiece from a by-gone era. She's a real looker too! :huh:

Coleman237Empire.jpg

FlameKeeper: if you ever do drop by again, thanks for all the great information and your considerable knowledge about this lantern. This thing is beautifully crafted and built like a tank.

Last edited:

jayflash

Flashlight Enthusiast
CPF is one of the best internet sites for a varied source of info. I did a google search for Coleman lantern info and ended up here. I'm waiting for a reply from the suggested leacockcolemancenter, but thought additional expertise may help me.

I resurrected an old 220F with a rusty tank bottom and got it working with only new #21 mantles. I dropped a tiny strong magnet into the tank, which is working well collecting rust and loose pieces. So far I've had it operating for hours on naphtha and regular 87 octane gas. I've read somewhere it's best to let new mantles stay lit for the first 30 - 60 minutes. Is that correct?

I've gotten an (older?) 243A Coleman single mantle working too, but the #21 mantle must be too small, I'm guessing, because I have to choke off the fuel or it just flames. I suspect there's not enough volume with a #21. This must be an old Coleman because the generator has a asbestos sleeve to help align the cleaning tube's rod & tip. It looked like the old sleeve was shedding asbestos, so I removed it and just used the spring to align the tip into the top orifice. Any advice will be appreciated.

Doogman

Newly Enlightened
Here's where all the Coleman-heads hang out. Great bunch of guys and they know everything about Coleman lanterns:

http://colemancollectorsforum.websitetoolbox.com/

Maybe you don't have enough wire in the gen and you are getting too much fuel? Air intake clean? You can't buy gens for this lantern anymore so it's probably worth it to try and fix the gen.

Latest posts