Commonly Used LED Emitter Index

Jack Reacher

Newly Enlightened
WOW! This is a great source of info for someone just getting into LED flashlights. And a pic does indeed convey a thousand words.

Also, I really appreciate the major efforts people-in-the-know take to enlighten folks like me!

— Cheers, Jack. :)

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, some instruction even for me. I thought the LuxV was a quad die LED similar to the MC-E and P7. Instruction around every corner.

Hi, The Lux V is / was the first quad die package that I am aware of. It was also the first package to break the 200 lumen (rated) barrier. It is still the only package that contained 4 die that were carefully matched for Vf and output to each other. The market price was aroud $ 50 / each for those at one time. Compare that to a 200 lumen Rebel single die pacakge from the same company for a few dollars today. That is why I laugh when people complain about blowing LEDs now. :crackup:

The Lux 1 is really the pacakge that started off the wide spread use of LEDs in flashlights, followed by the Lux III, which I consider sort of an enhancement of the Lux I.

Virtually all of the Philips Lumileds power LED products use 1x1mm2 die, just different generations and sorting of them.

Cree introduced their power led products a few years later, taking about 2 years to become competitive in efficiency and output. I have some of those early ones and and the difference between those and the Lux I was pretty visually obvious, even to the casual observer.

It has been interesting to watch the power led guys drive the technology and market forward.

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
That's what I thought. Just in the initial post this is the image of the LuxV and I wasn't seeing quad die:
SS-2010.04.11-19.05.04.png

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can see a liiiitle cross but they put the phosphor over top of the dice, so you can't really tell them apart unless you look close.

Also, don't forget the Nichia 083 and 183 - the current favorite for high-CRI things like the Sundrop around here.

Tally-ho

Banned
If we trust in official CREE data sheet such LED didnt`t exist last time they updated this data sheet ?!

Have a look at the bottom of page 2: Cree, Inc.
Copyright © 2006-2009 Cree, Inc. All rights reserved. The information in this document is subject to change without notice. Cree,

The last time it was updated is mar 15 déc 2009 09:53:48 CET ("control" + "i" in ubuntu (french version)) that is Thuesday, December 15th 2009

Last edited:

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just saw this thread (linked in another one). Excellent resource. I can understand not having the old emitter info on there but it would still be neat to see and directly compare to what we have today.

Any chance we can get the Bridgelux LEDs on there?

The Berr

Newly Enlightened
Really interesting thread. Now I need to know if anyone has worked with the Nichia NCCU033 which is a 3W 365nm UV led. If so, could you please contact me.

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Really interesting thread. Now I need to know if anyone has worked with the Nichia NCCU033 which is a 3W 365nm UV led. If so, could you please contact me.
Hmm, I don't know if that would be considered a 'commonly used' LED though? :confused: You might want to check out the LED emitter subforum, which I believe might be a better venue for the information you are looking for.

raven2751

Newly Enlightened
if anyone could help me identify this led, as i have not had much luck

100_3671.jpg

i kind of looks like a blob of clear glue has been badly dropped over the emitter.

reason i ask is i'm intending to replace it with a better led. (it is a very cheap MTB light)

thanks in advance