Comprehensive Grease and Lube Thread

varuscelli

Flashlight Enthusiast
I haven't seen this question answered yet so I thought I would post it here. I am considering purchasing a Jet Beam PA40. It has a carbon fiber plastic body. Would Krytox hurt the threads in the body? Thanks for your responses.

Interesting that no one has answered your question yet, carl k. I don't know the answer myself, but it seems like carbon fiber could have a different set of associated considerations.

I've seen lubrication of carbon fiber parts (for instance, carbon fiber bike parts) discussed elsewhere and it seems like one of the concerns is how the lubricant might affect the coating that's over the carbon fiber (assuming a coating of some sort and not just bare carbon fiber).

It would be interesting to hear the thoughts of those who know more about this kind of thing.

My guess is that in general there might actually be fewer concerns with carbon fiber, but you never know but that there might be other considerations that would indicate NOT to use certain lubricants in contract with carbon fiber parts. Again, just guessing.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I doubt that the Nitrolon or carbon fibre plastic type of hosts have that galling action related to metal threads. I would think that some lubrication for the o-rings would be appropriate.

carl k

Newly Enlightened
Thanks varuscelli & RI Chevy. I appreciate the responses. Never thought of using the lube on just the o-ring alone. Makes sense if there is no galling action with the plastic threads. Carl

tony22

Newly Enlightened
I did search through this thread, but it's humongous! I have NyoGel 760 and 779 and was wondering which would be better for my JetBeam TSC-R2. Thanks.

Tiggercat

Enlightened
Is anti-seize needed on Ti lights?

From the cycling industry, you always use anti-seize compound when joining two titanium objects (like screwing a Ti bolt into a Ti frame). Distant memory tells me this is because of the stresses involved in the flexing of a bicycle frame, which obviously would not be present in a flashlight. With that being said, is it required, recommended, or even suggested to use anti-seize on Ti lights? :thinking:

Foxfyre

Newly Enlightened
Re: Is anti-seize needed on Ti lights?

I use a teflon grease on mine. It's always worked well and is cleaner than most anti seize compounds.

If you look in the general section of the forum at the sticky on grease and lubes or do a search you will find several threads discussing the merits of dozens of different lubes.

Last edited:

Tiggercat

Enlightened

Thanks - I read the sticky, and certainly see the need for lubricant for the threads and o-rings on any light. I was wondering if anti-seize in particular is needed for Ti threads.

LedTed

Enlightened

It seems to me that you have a good thought; which is true for aluminum as well. A little high quality lube works well for this purpose.

To your point, I recently experienced the problem of seizing when I first installed the Ti clip on my NiteCore D11. Starting the screws was a little tricky but was accomplished just fine. However, when I tried to back out the screws in order to more squarely align the clip, I felt a gritty resistance. Then both of the screws popped off.
I believe that part of the problem was due to the clip being designed for the slightly larger diameter D11 EX11 light. However, the thinness of the back plate was surely the major contributing factor to this failure.

mattevt

Newly Enlightened
This would be great stuff to use. You wanna sell some? ;-)

G27

Ha by "have near unlimited access to", I mean I can get a tube and when I'm almost out I can get another one, and another and so on. I probably could not grab 10 at a time to distribute on cpf :). But it's good to know that it's good for flashlight threads. Thanks!

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks - I read the sticky, and certainly see the need for lubricant for the threads and o-rings on any light. I was wondering if anti-seize in particular is needed for Ti threads.

I personally would always use anti-seize on anything titanium. They are inherent to galling and seizing, thus the anti-seize lubrication.

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
From my experience, the galling only takes place after long periods of idle time without moving the threads. It seems like the Ti builds up or forms a little crust in the threads that makes it very difficult to loosen.

grayhighh

Enlightened
I got myself the Nyogel lube. After putting it on the thread, when i screwed on the bezel it went out smooth~