Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

nbp

Flashaholic
This is just not true...

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-first-case-human-to-dog-transmission.html

And

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-hong-kong-tests-positive-for-covid-19-virus

Truth does matter. While it's "only two" cases, the WHO simply cannot say there's "no evidence" that pets can get infected with COVID-19.

He didn't say they couldn't get infected. He said there isn't evidence they will get sick or pass it to humans, which is exactly what both the articles you linked stated as well.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
A343038-F-19-CC-4-CEB-A061-65-DAE66-E4-DCF.jpg

Perhaps they weren't so crazy afterall???

ven

Flashaholic
This is just not true...

https://www.livescience.com/coronavirus-first-case-human-to-dog-transmission.html

And

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...n-hong-kong-tests-positive-for-covid-19-virus

Truth does matter. While it's "only two" cases, the WHO simply cannot say there's "no evidence" that pets can get infected with COVID-19.

Seriously? Have you actually read your links?

You have just linked 2 stories that say
"No positive results were obtained from the mixed-breed dog and neither dog has shown any signs of disease," it said. "The department will continue to closely monitor both dogs and conduct repeated tests on the animals."

First dog with confirmed coronavirus infection has died — but we don't know if it was because of the virus.

The dog did not develop symptoms of illness while infected, and had been allowed to return home after finally testing negative for the virus.

Modernflame

Flashlight Enthusiast
I watched that YouTube video about 1918 just the other day. Fortunately, that type of deadly mutation among viruses is quite rare, although it behooves us to stamp this thing out as soon as possible to help mitigate that risk.

ven

Flashaholic
Thats an eye opener Dave, what really sticks is why its called the Spanish flu. Not because it started there, or most deaths. It just appeared that way, as other country governments were keeping it quiet and not allowing reports. Where as Spain, they had free press and reported everything. Which of course made it look like they had it far worse than other countries.

I am sure in time, people will look back at all the mistakes, not taking serious or not acting fast enough. I know here in the UK we delayed, even though we hard warnings from italy. Only time will tell .........

Stay safe all.

ven

Flashaholic
I watched that YouTube video about 1918 just the other day. Fortunately, that type of deadly mutation among viruses is quite rare, although it behooves us to stamp this thing out as soon as possible to help mitigate that risk.

Yes thankfully, the one in 2018 was even deadlier, with a 75% death rate. Luckily so far, it can not be transmitted from human to human. But if it mutates and can be transmittd, thats when we are in real trouble. But as a quote from that video, its not if, its when!

Food for thought for sure.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
He didn't say they couldn't get infected. He said there isn't evidence they will get sick or pass it to humans, which is exactly what both the articles you linked stated as well.

My bad. I missed that day in school where it was explained that "infected" doesn't mean "sick."

And it wasn't "he" I was referencing. It was the WHO that I quoted.

Alternative facts, baby.

nbp

Flashaholic
My bad. I missed that day in school where it was explained that "infected" doesn't mean "sick."

And it wasn't "he" I was referencing. It was the WHO that I quoted.

Alternative facts, baby.

Lots of people are testing positive for the virus but are also asymptomatic. So yes, infected and sick are different. The animal may be carrying the virus or "infected" but not demonstrably "sick" nor capable of passing it on to to other animals or people. Words mean things.

wacbzz

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

"Asymptomatic" doesn't mean you aren't affected - which is, of course, exactly how "infected" and "sick" are the same.

Even further, let's use the common sense test here nbp...your neighbor tests positive (ie, is "infected") for COVID-19 but is, to use your term, "asymptomatic." Would you still hang out with that person because they aren't "sick?"

Please stop. The WHO (whom I quoted, remember?) stated that animals can't get sick from COVID-19. I showed two examples of two dogs affected with COVID-19. I never said they could transfer it to humans or anything else remotely close to that. I just stated basic fact.

Don't get mad because the real world doesn't use the word "sick" the way you want them to.

Last edited:

ven

Flashaholic
General comment and not directed at anyone.

I dont take any word for gospel, but i would believe the world health organisation before a live science report that even contradicts its head line.

I am not posting fact, nor am i saying its fact. All i did, was quote the WHO on a report which was early March. Of course things/reports/info will change over time as we learn more. We are in this together! We can only go off what bits of info/reports we find and read up on.

Kind regards

ven

Flashaholic
If anyone is interested, the info regarding pets, be it dogs, cats, horses.
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronav...ith-animals#general-advice-for-all-cat-owners

For those who are not bothered about reading, its basically about making provisions if you have symptoms. To make sure you wash your hands prior and after. Vet advice, nothing so far about your dog, cat, elephant! catching covid-19.

There is no evidence that humans to cats to humans of covid19. If there was, we would know and it would be headline news!!!! That is fact.

nbp

Flashaholic
:crackup:

"Asymptomatic" doesn't mean you aren't affected - which is, of course, exactly how "infected" and "sick" are the same.

Even further, let's use the common sense test here nbp...your neighbor tests positive (ie, is "infected") for COVID-19 but is, to use your term, "asymptomatic." Would you still hang out with that person because they aren't "sick?"

Please stop. The WHO (whom I quoted, remember?) stated that animals can't get sick from COVID-19. I showed two examples of two dogs affected with COVID-19. I never said they could transfer it to humans or anything else remotely close to that. I just stated basic fact.

Don't get mad because the real world doesn't use the word "sick" the way you want them to.

The difference is that infected but asymptomatic humans can still pass on the disease to me so no I would obviously would not hang out with them. If an animal is infected but neither suffering any symptoms nor contagious to other animals or to humans (so far this seems to be the case, per your links) then pet owners do not need to immediately panic that they are going to get sick from their animals.

As you stated, common sense and reading comprehension is important and many people have neither. Instead of reading and understanding they will simply see the headline that a dog was infected with COVID19 and immediately assume they are going to get it from their animal if an infected person pets it or something. This isn't supported by evidence.

We're on the same team here, I think... No one said the animal couldn't carry the virus, only that they do not seem to pose a threat to humans and are unlikely to suffer from the disease. That is why I differentiated between infected and sick. Or perhaps "infected" vs. "infectious" would have been a better choice of words on my part.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Times ahead are going to be stressful for folk, job security, finances, relationships and what with 24/7 News channels and all the rubbish shared on social media some are people going to find it difficult.

Make some time for yourselves each day to chill, there are loads of interesting videos on youtube etc on all manor of subjects.

I personally like to chill to aerial footage of pleasant scenery, it reminds me of my years on Air Support!

For example!

Status
Not open for further replies.