CPF Meet 2012 UK

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had the Scalectric Lotus too - With a red Ferrari

Like this ? Yes that was the other one in my set.
dscf4133a.jpg

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow!!

A huge respect to him and his comrades.

Was he in on the Mohne, Sorpe and Eder raid? Or the Grand Slams?

As you say, we must hear the tails at the next meet.

Cheers Lee. ...........................

Although he was in the RAF he was banned from flying, there's a bit of a funny story behind the reason why ........Ok so just the one story about my Granddad, or "Poppa" as he was to me.

Poppa was called up to RAF (there's another really funny story about his call up papers too!). He was more than happy to do his bit for King and country. Fast forward a few years and he's a pilot flying Halifax bombers.

One day he flew in a Halifax to land back at the base. Upon landing saw another plane on the air strip that he just missed it. Once he was out of the plane he was immediately pulled up for dangerous flying. He was accused of landing his plane at the wrong time/wrong place. From what I understand the air strips used to use coloured lights to indicate when to land/not land.

Poppa swore the lights he saw were correct, but the ground crew said he was wrong. Then under interview his own crew said he was wrong! He was told to accept the charge and take the punishment or he would be thrown out of the RAF with dishonour. Poppa was a man of his word and would not back down. He couldn't understand why even his own crew had gone against him.

During one of the interviews there was a stand up argument between Poppa and his crew about what colours the landing indicators were during the time of the landing. At that moment the base doctor walked past the room and heard the conversation. The Doc came back to the room and asked Poppa "Smith, have you ever had a colour blindness test?".

So it turned out Poppa had seen the correct colours after all, as he was completely colour blind. Something that had been missed during his medical. So he stayed in the RAF, but was to never fly again. He continued as ground support. He was duty officer on the night of the famed raids.

rememberance20day20poppyavatar.jpg

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Petrev did you buy one? It is a very good thrower. I liked using mine at the Halloween meet.

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi,

Arrived - 3 days from China by Fed-Ex !!!! Completely mad for the price !!!!

Great torch - really well made and in a little toy flight-case as well.

Thanks for making me aware of it Andy :thumbsup:

Cheers
Pete

ps. Just got one of those Intellicharger i4s (Thanks Jay ;))

monkeyboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Awesome pictures, looks like another great meeting. I hope I'll make it back some day.

I recognise Ayrton Senna's championship winning Mclaren honda F1 car in the background. I can just make out the little brazilian flag and the word "senna" from that picture. I remember as a kid, I couldn't find a scalextric version of that so ended up getting a williams f1 car instead. You can tell that we're from different generations by the scalextric cars we had!

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm sorry guys, I have let you all down really, really badly. I fully understand if you don't want to be associated with me anymore after you found out what I have done. I'm afraid I couldn't stop my colleague at work, who I have sat next to for many years, from going out at lunchtime and purchasing a red Mini Maglite 2AA incandescent.

I begged with him, I pleaded with him, I told him I would bring him in a new, red Thrunite Ti on Monday, I printed out Selfbuilt's 2AA roundup graph of runtime over output to prove what crap they are, I got out my Ti and Mag Solitaire ( kept just for this purpose) to show him how archaic incandescentsare, I explained type 2 over type 3 anodizing, I even explained direct driven incandescent output drop over regulated. Nothing worked.." I've been asked to get it by someone who want to give it as a gift" was all he would say and wouldn't budge on the issue.

I'm sorry.

Last edited:

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nooooooooo, say it isn't true and all will be forgiven. I have seen some major fails, but this cannot be tolerated ;)

How can we stay mad to the one who enlighten so many of us with the Skyray King.

To be fair, you went far beyond the call of duty to help him. Never mind you can show him the red Thrunite Ti on Monday. Sometimes seeing is believing.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
For nostalga yes, but if you were buying a torch as a gift...

Would be a bit like buying someone a typewriter.

Last edited:

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am also a big fan of typewriters. But I agree with you about the gift thing. Plenty of lovely inexpensive LED offerings that far outway the venerable MM. Something in AAA I would buy for muggles.

As you thought, the Thrunite Ti would be ideal, or maybe the itp EOS A3?

BTW, my son has adopted a couple of my old MM's for his under-bed hideout. Nice to see them get some use. (Incandescent, not led dropin). I don't think I could ever EDC one again, and to think that I went around darkest Indonesia armed with little else! Many years ago, of course.

Last edited:

ruskythegreat

Newly Enlightened
My youngest killed the LED dropin for my MM :( anyone recommend a replacement or shall I just go for the Thrunite Ti?

BLUE LED

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's probably not worth replacing the LED drop-in for your mini Maglite. The Thrunite Ti is a good alternative.