CPF UK Meet 2015

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Not really :p

I'm more inclined towards remoteneeded's underground suggestions, but going for the easy versions.

I appreciate the sentiment - but I am very happy to wait in the pub in the sunshine until you lot surface from your caves. Not often I get the chance to do nothing.

By that reckoning, should we ask remoteneeded to line up another tunnel or two?

Godstone mine in Surrey I have been down - but that was work, not pleasure. Well it was a pleasure getting out again! Seriously, though - it was an easier mine to explore than the one you chaps went down at Box Hill - no tight crawl. We got down there with recording equipment too.

remoteneeded

Newly Enlightened
If you wanted to stick to the south of England I can easily sort out access to Reigate caves as I'm a tour guide for them over the summer. I can even bore you with some history of the places! Barron's cave in particular would be great to light up with torches. Despite the name they're not actually caves. Barron's is essentially a cellar for a former castle and the Tunnel Road Caves are former sand mines that were used for several things over the years including a cycle club, rifle range and bomb shelter in WWII. Nyctophilliac you would be fine in both of them - they're bigger than the London Underground. I could then take the more adventurous off to Godstone for a poke around a much bigger mine complex. (Bigger as in area, not volume!)

Having said all that, I still like the idea of heading north to somewhere like Chirk.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm up for both of those - remote. Can we still cycle at Tunnel road?

So am I right we have these options (until some of Subwoofers inquiries come back)?

1. Reigate Caves. Including Tunnel road and Barron's caves (Surrey - Junction 6 M25)

2. Godstone Mine (Surrey-Junction 6 M25)

3. Chirk for the Canal tunnel and Pontcysyllte Aqueduct - (Wrexham - 4hrs drive from London)

The Chirk trip would certainly benefit from waiting until Late Spring or Summer - the other two will be approximately the same climate all year round!

State your preferences or alternatives.

I'm up for all three!

(Now where did I put my headtorch???)

remoteneeded

Newly Enlightened

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
No.

Junction 8 actually.

Yep, no reason why we can't do it all. The Reigate/Godstone stuff could easily fit in a day if you wanted to do that then retire to a pub before heading home. Maybe Chirk can be this years camping trip.

Sadness, no bikes.

Typo.

Maybe Reigate caves one day (No overalls). Then Godstone on another day - muddy and dirty.

When we do Godstone, we should do lunch in the mine itself.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yep, no reason why we can't do it all. The Reigate/Godstone stuff could easily fit in a day if you wanted to do that then retire to a pub before heading home. Maybe Chirk can be this years camping trip.

My enquiries have basically come to nothing. I'm liking the sound of remoteneeded's suggestions :thumbsup:

petrev

Flashlight Enthusiast
Waiting . . . . . . . . .

:popcorn:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

Just read all the posts since I began waiting for an email . . . . Thought it was a bit quiet.

Loving the ideas for caves from remote' and also the tunnel and aqueduct from nycto'

I'm in whenever (fingers crossed)

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case anyone needs a new cell for their Orb Wee or Valeno Quantum... I just noticed that Banggood does 10180 cells for £1.99.

So, we picking a date or what ? I can't do 18th April but I'm good to go any other time.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, so taking the approach of Saturdays (starting in April) that we can't do:

Jay_R - 18 April
Subwoofer - 4, 18, 25 April (Also 12th might be in question), 23 May

might mean we have to look at May?

23 May, by the way, is due to the British Blades camping meet which we would probably be welcome to come to again.

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
Great,

Starting In April I can do the 11th, 18th and 25th.

In May I can do the 2nd, 9th, 16th and 30th.

I'll get in touch with remoteneeded and get him to chime in.

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah, so turning it around to what we 'can' do, so far after input from Jay_R, Subwoofer and Nyctophiliac then (correct me if I'm wrong):

Potential April/May dates are

April 11
May 2, 9, 16, 30

subwoofer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm interested in coming along (if welcome).

Silly. Of course you are welcome.

Are there any of these dates we need to strike off that you can't make?

Potential April/May dates are

April 11
May 2, 9, 16, 30

Nyctophiliac

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is looking great, but we're gonna need remoteeded to let us know which days he can get us in to the caves!

He is aware of this and I believe will chime in soon.

Yippee!