CPF's magical power...

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
I stand in aw of the seemingly magical power that Candle Power Forum possesses to destroy flashlights from many hundreds or even thousands of miles away. It was only a few weeks ago that I had a perfectly good, nearly new looking 3-D cell MagLite. Now, after spending some time reading through the forums and purchasing a couple Fenix lights, my MagLite has become nearly useless.

:grin2:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don't forget that it's still just as bright as before. The main thing you've learned is what *can* be done, as opposed to what *has* been done.

Mag lites work pretty well for long-range throw on alkaline batteries. Fenix can be fun though.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mag lites work pretty well for long-range throw on alkaline batteries. Fenix can be fun though.

Mag Lites work REALLY well after J-Rob has dropped a MT-G2 or an XML into it, and added the voltage analyzer.

Before Mac got threatened by Mag he was working wonders - with the triple triple 3300L (LOVE mine - makes me smile every time I fire it up...)

Poppy

Flashaholic
I stand in aw of the seemingly magical power that Candle Power Forum possesses to destroy flashlights from many hundreds or even thousands of miles away. It was only a few weeks ago that I had a perfectly good, nearly new looking 3-D cell MagLite. Now, after spending some time reading through the forums and purchasing a couple Fenix lights, my MagLite has become nearly useless.

If you are speaking of the 3D mag with an LED then, there is still a LOT of Good that can be said about that light.
I gifted one to my Dad last year, and I am still glad that I did.

It is actually a very good light for his purposes. Big and heavy, and easy to steady in his hands. Narrow focused beam for looking at street signs, and runs well enough long enough for the few minutes he uses it each week. If the intensity drops off a bit, (after about 5 hours of use) he can throw the batteries in a container and use them if he needs them for a long power outage. I have recently been impressed by the huge capacity of D cells when the draw is low. The 3D LED mag is rated to get 79 hours of run-time, (and I guess another 50 hours of nite light level of illumination.) When the output gets low enough, you can screw off the head and go into candle mode.

Daekar

Enlightened
Haha, yes, behold the power of CPF! I don't want to even consider how much money I spent finding the right light and battery setup for me and mine.... It's sort of like wine or beer - once you've had the good stuff it's hard to go back!

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

Vortus

Flashlight Enthusiast
3D Maglite, incandescent. A light barely alive.

We can rebuild it. We have the technology. We can make it better than it was. Better, stronger, brighter.

BarryG

Enlightened
If you think you got it bad now, stay away from Vinh's section........ there is no turning back from it!!!

Barry

Neosec

Newly Enlightened
If you are speaking of the 3D mag with an LED then, there is still a LOT of Good that can be said about that light.
I gifted one to my Dad last year, and...

No such luck, it's the old incan...

I looked over some of the upgrade options but consider putting the $$$ toward the smaller torches.

Poppy

Flashaholic
Ah, yes... I have the same, and agree with your sentiments.

I had bought the Rayovac 3-4 cell LED upgrade (40 lumens) Dorsey makes the same thing. It was about $5. but there was no perceivable increase in output, although the run-time would greatly improve. With a 6 volt... 4D mag the output improvement would make it worth every penny. It's really a 4 volt bulb. I read that there is a 30 lumen one, but didn't look into it.

torchsarecool

Enlightened

exactly the same happened to me. 6 months ago my 6d maglite was my pride and joy. Now its gathering dust and will probably go on ebay soon to fund some high capacity nimh's for my fenix tk60.

flashlight chronic

Enlightened
If you're brave enough, try drinking a couple of your favorite beers (no driving of course) and :
1) visit Malkoff Devices
2) visit CPF Marketplace
3) and try staying away from anything that says Surefire
If you do survive, let us know how you did it.

socom1970

Flashlight Enthusiast

Two things for you:

First, :welcome: It's good to see new CPF'ers learn about our little hobby.

Second, ABANDON ALL HOPE, YE WHO ENTER HERE. You will never be the same again. You will develop a preference for quality, craftsmanship, performance, and fair play. You will spend more money than you should on more lights than you need to often use them in places that have readily available light already. And, as you've already found out, all the flashlights that you thought were useful and adequate become dim and unsatisfying. The only cure is CPFMarketplace, CPF Custom and Modified areas, and lots of money.:broke:

Have fun, enjoy yourself, and remember that there is often a fine line between what you need and what you want.:)

DellSuperman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The only magical thing from CPF for me is my wallet growing thinner, almost at a malnourished state...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Un-modded MagLites can still serve as a throwing stick that glows in the dark. Very practical to fend off coyotes and get your weapon back.

Here's a cheap and easy way to make your MagLite just as powerful as one of your Fenix flashlights: strip out the bulb and reflector and drop the Fenix inside. Magic!