CR123 cell compartment replacement / modifications?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelwolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lots of thanks to Merri and the team at Arc. Very fast response, though I wonder how much it is costing the company to send stuff like this via Fedex. It looks like minimum weight is 1lb.

The battery case came today. But no o-ring. No big deal. Took out the one from the old case, and besides, I can get replacement o-rings from the local dive shop (I think). Kinda funny though.

The case is bored out deeper, but on the outside, the hole to put the split ring through is quite a bit smaller. Most of my keychain split rings won't fit. I'll have to look in to my tackle box for a smaller one.

The negative contact surface is flatter, but wider. Almost the same size as the bottom of the Duracell cell. The old case has a smaller nub which has been left higher. I believe it might be possible to grind down the nub enough to get the few extra mm clearance needed, but I don't have my Dremel with me, so that will have to wait. The inner side surfaces look like they have been anodize and painted. It looks as though after the inner diameter has been turned to size, and the anodising applied, then the bottom surface is cut to the final shape. Doesn't appear to be chemkoted.

With the threads, the finishing is not quite top quality. Perfectly servicable, but looks a bit rough. No point going the whole hog though. Better finishing will involve more costs, but with little gain.

Finally, the anodising of the body is quite different from the head. The head looks more polished, smoother, more reflective. The body is flatter, less reflective, sort of what you would expect with military targeted anodising. But the colour is the same as I noted when I applied some silicone lube and the body glossed up.

All in all, quite a good fix. Thanks guys.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
...can you tell us yet?
grin.gif

seriously though, this is killing me...

Status
Not open for further replies.