Creative ideas for candle-stand?

~seagull~

Newly Enlightened
I have finally found nearly exactly the flashlight I have spent hours researching for. But it has a tactical tail switch rubber "bump,", and cannot stand on end for candle-light. Have any of you found a clever item to carry which can compensate for this and hold your flashlight steady & upright?

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast
6695361809_63af09f669_z.jpg

Well I created this to turn my tail-standing light into a lantern and 90-degree angle light, but there's no reason you couldn't just lie your light down on it to ceiling bounce... Fits in your wallet.

CLICKY

nbp

Flashaholic
If it has a 1 inch diameter tail you can carry a Surefire F04 diffuser which you can either use to diffuse light on the front, or pop on the tail and make a nice flat little stand.

:welcome:

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are other "what can you use (or what do I use) for tail stands" threads so you might want to check for info in those.

And yeah, when the question comes up we do need to know what specific light is in question so someone can suggest what works for them,

Yet another reason there needs to be a database of dimensions for tailcaps and bezels for lights that includes stuff like OTC medicine bottles, different plastic caps, and so on. If we had interior and exterior measurements of those and of lights it would be a lot easier to rig up diffusers, filters, tail stands, and candle mode gizmos.

On the other hand some folks just use Silly Putty or stuff like it if the light is small enough. It's good to get creative but it's easier if someone else has been there first.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I successfully attached a 4xAA gyroscope to a tippy flashlight and it stood up balanced on a log, but
that too required it's own power supply which basically ruins the EDC capability, but was a fun experiment.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find that wall bounce is preferable to ceiling bounce anyways, I just lay my lights down. Walking up on a tailstanding light requires me to put my hand over it to keep it from blinding me, or if I am holding things with both hands I have to look away which defeats the purpose of beeing able to see since I can't look at what I need to if it is too close to the light. This is just my preference, but it is worth trying out - I found it actually works better.

An alternative is to lean it up against anything you find. 99% of the time I have been able to find something near where I need the light to lean it up against that is far steadier than tailstanding alone anyway.

Because of these and the fact that protruding switches make the light easier to use, I consider a tailstanding 'feature' more of a detriment.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I successfully attached a 4xAA gyroscope to a tippy flashlight and it stood up balanced on a log, but
that too required it's own power supply which basically ruins the EDC capability, but was a fun experiment.

That's pretty weird but sounds like fun -- one of those "because I can" things that keeps life from being dull.

And makes lots of folks scratch their head.

chmsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
A variation on tailstanding that I do from time to time is to find a white bottle from vitamins or other OTC med that fits the bezel of the light. If the light isn't too big the diffuser can light up the room nicely either by standing the bottle on whatever surface or even by setting it on its side. For those just too heavy lights I think I'd just put some modeling clay in the bottom of the bottle.

A little creativity and flexibility works great.

~seagull~

Newly Enlightened
Thanks to everyone for your ideas! The light I'm looking at is the Shining Beam I-mini XP-G 245 lumens. Best I can tell is that it might be 2.3cm diameter, which shows to be .9 inches or so...

j00cantseeme

Newly Enlightened
I use a binder clip that goes unto the clip of my preon 2 to tailstand. A pill bottle works too.

bnemmie

Enlightened
I do this sometimes when im at my workbench and just need something quick,
110-tips-04-0312-lgn.jpg

Easy to use and take off, all it takes is a few inches of stiff wire or solid core wire.

shelm

Flashlight Enthusiast
all of my lights can tailstand even the quark tactical (with protruding switch).

the iTP A3 can be made tailstand with heat shrinkable wrap to make the tail extend/enlarge.

eh4

Flashlight Enthusiast
stick it in your boot, works well in a tent or if you're sleeping on the floor or in the doghouse.

varmint

Enlightened
Try an empty 12 or 10 GA shotgun shell, cut the crimp portion off and slip the light in it, works great.

Latest posts