Credit card sized light, 1.6mm thick

DaveNagy

Newly Enlightened
I think this sounds like a really interesting idea. Put me down for two! ;)

Some random thoughts:

No optics, so we're talking a total flood "beam", right? In that sort of configuration, I'd say, "The more lumens, the better." (Within reason.) My Zebralight has a 120 degree beam, and running flat out, it does 70 lumens or so on high. That's a pleasing and ample amount of light for working on a car, or cooking a meal, but it's certainly not "excessive" seeming. (It would be excessive for something like map reading.) My Zebralight does about 12 lumens on medium, and frankly, that seems barely adequate for doing things at arm's length. 20 lumens might be better. (Basically, I'm trying to say that you shouldn't try to compare a focused beam to a an unfocused one of the same "strength".)

Some of the switch ideas be bandied about in this thread sound waaaaay too clever for their own good. Just put a plain old fashioned mechanical switch on the thing and call it done.:) Something tiny that you could operate with a fingernail would be fine. Seems like you'd want to put it on the edge of the card somewhere, so it could stick out a bit and yet not add any thickness. (Notch the edge of the card where the switch is if you don't the switch to extend beyond the "footprint" of a normal credit card.) Some sort of thumbwheel would be neat and would fit well with the circular theme you've got going. Ooo, and you could possibly do some sort of variable brightness that way!

(I'm talking about the sort of switch like old transistor radios had. You could adjust the volume continuously, but they also "clicked" off when rotated all the way "down". The rotating part of the switch was probably about the size of a US nickle, but only a tiny fraction of it stuck out of the case. You know, kinda like an inline lamp-cord switch?)

I have no idea whether such a switch exists in a sufficiently thin form-factor, regrettably.

balou

Enlightened
hi Dave,
Yes, beam is also about 120°. Only optics possible would be a 0.5mm thick fresnel lens, or some star-trek-technobabble-sounding stuff.
I think 2 or 4 LEDs, selectable, would be the best bet, that would give light in the order of 20-60 Lumens

Switch ideas too clever: Well, problem is, find me a SMD switch which has 3 positions, and is not of the momentary type ;)
Even finding a normal on/off SMD switch which is not momentary seems to be a problem.

For switch position: see the pic above, the notch on the right side is where the switch sits. The exact form and deepness of the notch has of course to be tuned, possibly with a cardboard mockup.

The switch thing you're talking about is a potentiometer with integrated on/off switch. One source of them could be old CDROM drives, the ones that still had a headphone out in front. But they're at least 2mm thick, and then you'd still have to mount them somewhere on the card. And they also don't include an on/off switch. Dollar store radios could be another source.

You could probably ask Bourns or Alps to make something like that, but they'll probably don't make custom potentiometers unless you order 10k pieces :)

So unfortunately, the switch is a major problems. There are plenty of options, just not in this size... so maybe in the end, this project is going to include a microprocessor, just for switch and brightness handling.

If you want to search for such a switch... try mouser.com, farnell.com and digikey.com

Edit: I forgot: 3 Coin cells in series are necessary - with just two in series, they would have very bad runtime, if you take into account that the coin cells have only two volts if nearly discharged. And two volts don't light up an LED anymore.

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
need ideas?

have a few spots marked on the card and include a small Nd magnet to activate reed switches. perhaps card will be made of metal, this way you don't have to hold magnets in place. downside: yay, more small parts to lose!

photoresistor to make card come on when it's not in a wallet?

educate ants and tell them to make the connections inside the card.:thinking:

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
This link may interest you:

http://flashlightnews.org/story1071.shtml

Also do a search for Eon flashlight. It is another with a similar idea.

Eon looks very cool. But if this new card light is going to output 20 - 60 lumens, it will probably beat Eon to a pulp. :D

eon.jpg

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
"zeruel: I guess this will be one of those you're going to lose your fight to."

aH, yEs, I would gladly! -to those who dont know what this means.. i am "fighting" against my flashholism, the basic need and want to get every bright cool thing i see :)

in my wallet i normally keep 4 creditcards in each slot.. well i only have 4 cards on me normally :) so they all are in one slot.

so i dont mind if it would end up even 6mm thick. 2-3modes would be nice. or dimmable option. (the scroll button is nice idea)
5-10lm low, and 40-100 high. if only one mode, i think i could simply be just a momentary mode with soft press button.

hope there is some advance in this project.

cheaper chimera mini is always welcome!

one dream of mine: cellphone (sized) flashlight, original lion battery and charging jack, warm tint, etc. if i only knew how to do it i would build it myself.. i would just get a broken nokia and gut it :)

or those clamshell phones.. flip it open and it turns on.. or zippo lighter flashlight..or.. (im getting sidetracked again.. sorry)

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
how about instead of putting all the parts on a credit-card sized carrier, you build it and pot it in a credit-card sized mold?

balou

Enlightened
Just a quick note:
This project just got resurrected.

-Found a local supplier for two-side copper-clad PCBs
-Choose a new LED. Samsung Sunnix 5, warm white LED, 70 Lumens max
-Found supplier of said LED (Led1.de). It's even without s&h :D
-URL: http://www.led1.de/shop/product_inf...h511n0-wo-lens-p-1150&cName=samsung-led-c-227
-this LED will require some dremeling to reduce its height
-dumped my idea of etching the boards. Will directly etch traces with a dremel
-holes also to be made with a Dremel
-speaking about Dremel... I'm hoping one of my family members took the hint that I really want a Dremel for Christmas :rolleyes:

SWITCH PROBLEM STILL UNSOLVED!

Q&A:
how about instead of putting all the parts on a credit-card sized carrier, you build it and pot it in a credit-card sized mold?
PCB's are basically just fibreglass mats potted with epoxy. without the fibreglass part, the thing would break in a matter of seconds in a normal wallet...

so i dont mind if it would end up even 6mm thick. 2-3modes would be nice. or dimmable option. (the scroll button is nice idea)
5-10lm low, and 40-100 high. if only one mode, i think i could simply be just a momentary mode with soft press button.
Maximum thickness will be 2mm. My wallet does not hold such thick cards as yours ;)
Multimode will be quite hard to implement on such a light

You consider going rechargeable?
To much hassle reloading the whole thing, costs to much, plus would negatively affect the stability of the whole thing (I can space out the CR2016 so that there is enough pcb material to make this stiff enough)

need ideas?
YES!
have a few spots marked on the card and include a small Nd magnet to activate reed switches. perhaps card will be made of metal, this way you don't have to hold magnets in place. downside: yay, more small parts to lose!

photoresistor to make card come on when it's not in a wallet?
Reed switches plus flipflop would take up to much space, photoresistor too

So... two things:
1. I really need a Dremel
2. I really need an idea for the switch

My current idea involves strips of aluminium foil as switches... which will probably be as flimsy and unreliable as it sounds...

edit: another switch idea:
http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16510
Ordered a pack of them, maybe I could gut it and frankentransplant it into my light.
Seems to have a membrane switch though... maybe I could yank it off and have the light activated by any conducting object (key...). But dunno if it could resist the kind of voltages I'm going to use

Last edited:

Dave 88

Newly Enlightened
What about a small slider switch like the lockouts on an SD card?

Just read through this quick, its a neat idea and throwing in my $0.02

Sabrewolf

Flashlight Enthusiast
What about a small slider switch like the lockouts on an SD card?

Just read through this quick, its a neat idea and throwing in my $0.02

Sorry to say, But the lockout switch on an SD card
is just a plastic piece. Its actually the SD cardslot
that has the pin switch/contacts :(

balou

Enlightened
Samsung LEDs are ordered. One cool white, one neutral white (neutral white fans, rejoice!). They should arrive in a few days.

After reading about it, I decided that I want a Proxxon, not a Dremel. A trip to the hardware store reinforced that sentiment. Proxxon FSB 240/E and the electronics tool set it shall be for Christmas (or well, before Christmas).

Ordered two of those switches: http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.15610
They are momentary only, though. Estd arrival date: god only knows...
I'll try to set something up so that you could more permanently activate the light with some alu or copper foil and tape. Still far from perfect... but better than nothing.

balou said:
3 Coin cells in series are necessary - with just two in series, they would have very bad runtime, if you take into account that the coin cells have only two volts if nearly discharged. And two volts don't light up an LED anymore.
I seriously have no idea what I babbled here. 2x3=6v should be enough, and it'll be still 2x2=4v at the end of battery life.
CR2016 have serious internal resistance though. 20 Ohm per cell.. that makes already 40 Ohm with two cell in series.

If my math is correct, that would make (assuming Vf of 3.5V):
(6-3.5)V / 40 R = 62mA.
Way underdriven...
A 2s3p cell config would divide the resistance by 3, giving three times the drive current, i.e. 187mA.
By having a quick look at the (confusing) datasheet, that would be in the ballpark of 30 lumens of pure flood.

savumaki

Enlightened
Definitely not a stupid idea; sounds like a great back up to me. Perhaps not so much for a guys wallet with all the bending involved but it would be a natural for a purse or a shirt pocket.
Also it need not be a super power house for light emission since it would be used for emergency use (in my opinion) and the key feature should be a long run time.
Switch- for the use I just mentioned a 'momentary on' would be more than adequate.
Using the KISS principal will keep the o/a cost down and make it affordable; after all you're not expecting it to start breakfast are you?

save me some

Karl

Hallmcc

Newly Enlightened
One problem that still exists is the switch... I don't know if Farnell even ships to individuals.

Is using two copper strips laminated to opposite sides of the card stock and a hole in the card out of the question? squeeze to turn on, release to turn off.

balou

Enlightened
Is using two copper strips laminated to opposite sides of the card stock and a hole in the card out of the question? squeeze to turn on, release to turn off.
I'd have to test if that'll be no-accidental-activation proof.
Anybody got an idea where to get copper tape? (except eBay... more like which kind of B&M store)

Perhaps not so much for a guys wallet with all the bending involved but it would be a natural for a purse or a shirt pocket.
The plan is that it'll be tough enough to withstand the abuse of daily backpocket wallet carry. FR4 PCBs are quite tough and at the same time flexible. Biggest point of failure is probably the solder joint of the LED.

Maybe I have to reduce from 6 to 4 batteries - more room for the switch, and for thicker segments of PCB between the batteries.

I also thought about renaming the project to business card light. Mainly because such a thing would make an impressive business card.

savumaki

Enlightened
[QUOTE
I also thought about renaming the project to business card light. Mainly because such a thing would make an impressive business card.[/QUOTE]
If I was still in my past profession I would not hesitate to order several doz. for my 'special' customers; GREAT THOUGHT.

balou

Enlightened
I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get up and grab a Proxxon right now...
On the one hand, I still somehow wish somebody will get it for me as a Chrismas present.
On the other hand... let's face it... no :( The only nice gifts I'll receive this year will be from the CPF Christmas giveaway.

So... -$120 on my bank account this afternoon?
And then grabbing a $8 PCB in eurocard format.
And then waiting for my $30 order of LEDs.
My poor wallet... I hope I can reimburse that by selling some of them at an exorbitantly high price :nana: