19510515_z.jpg

Settings: F4 S6" ISO 100 WB Daylight
maxflex @1300mA optics Satu 9deg XT-E
19510517_z.jpg

Same settings, drive current and optics, XP-E
19510516_z.jpg

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Drastically brighter, thanks for sharing!

On my computer screen, it doesn't look drastically brighter--just way better color and a bit more floody, with a bit less throw.

This is just one optic. I am looking forward to reflector beam shots.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you look carefully, the xt-e looks like it may be pointed a few degrees to right, while xp-e is to left. The xt-e shot has logs on right and spouting illuminated brightly, as is the center right foreground pot; while the xp-e has bushes off to left illuminated brightly, and so, the covered grill is a bit more lit up. Also, based on shadowing, the xp-e looks a tad lower in relation to the camera.

The xt-e color is very nice.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the tint!

as was said- looks a bit floodier w less throw than the XPE

Ill keep an eye on this thread to see some hard #s

thanks for the pics!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
I had some come in today. They're only about $2.50 which was a little less than the XP-E from the same supplier. I expected them to be priced closer to the XP-G.

xpcXpeXpgXte_1.jpg

xpcXpeXpgXte_2.jpg

xpcXpeXpgXte_3.jpg

wquiles

Flashaholic
I had some come in today. They're only about $2.50 which was a little less than the XP-E from the same supplier. I expected them to be priced closer to the XP-G.

xpcXpeXpgXte_1.jpg

Kind of hard to guess what is what without any text/labels. Can I assume that those are (from left to right):
XP-C -- XP-E -- XP-G -- XT-E ?

Is the surface mount foot print the same (interchangeable)?

znomit

Enlightened

xpcXpeXpgXte_1.jpg

Could you please light up the XTE a wee bit so we can see the shape.

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
Kind of hard to guess what is what without any text/labels. Can I assume that those are (from left to right):
XP-C -- XP-E -- XP-G -- XT-E ?

Is the surface mount foot print the same (interchangeable)?

You're correct on the order. Sorry about that. Here are the cropped versions which call out the LED's.
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/mg_steele/LEDs/xpcXpeXpgXte_5.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/mg_steele/LEDs/xpcXpeXpgXte_4.jpg
http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa281/mg_steele/LEDs/xpcXpeXpgXte_6.jpg

I didn't look that closely at the solder pads, but it appeared to be the same. The dimensions on the datasheet match the XP-G, however the XT-E appears to have a slightly larger base.

Could you please light up the XTE a wee bit so we can see the shape.

Sure, I'll grab another photo tonight.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, if you look carefully, the xt-e looks like it may be pointed a few degrees to right, while xp-e is to left. The xt-e shot has logs on right and spouting illuminated brightly, as is the center right foreground pot; while the xp-e has bushes off to left illuminated brightly, and so, the covered grill is a bit more lit up. Also, based on shadowing, the xp-e looks a tad lower in relation to the camera.
xte_xpe_combo_bw.gif

Apologies for the flashing, but the above gives an idea of the differences.
Images overlaid in photoshop, default greyscaled, and animated.
XT-E is the one with the brighter foreground.

Even with the XT-E picture being somewhat more rightwards-biased, the area on the bottom-to-mid extreme left is significantly brighter.

Mike S

Newly Enlightened
The 4th emitter in this lineup looks like a Cree XP-G Hi-CRI that I bought from LED-Tech.de a few months ago.

You have me second guessing now that you said that. I haven't seen a high CRI XP-G or XP-E and after googling it, they do look very similar. These were purchased from Newark. It's listed as an XT-E (XTEAWT-02-0000-00000LEE3). From what I've noticed, the big component suppliers don't carry high CRI Cree's. When I set my power supply to constant current mode and fired up the LED, the Vf matched the XP-G almost exactly up until 700 mA when I stopped the test.

Here are the close up photo's of the emitter.

xteOn_1.jpg

xteOn_2.jpg

I did notice right away that this type of die structure throws a lot more light backwards onto the table.

xteOn_3.jpg

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
^ I have only seen the official cree photo, but that photo does indeed show a green pcb and the raised structure of the new flip chip

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
thread resurrection....

I am trying to find the XT-E die dimensions....
Unless I am blind i cannot see them in the datasheet

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT-E is one of the good candidates for "no-heatsink" operation. When run with a dialed-down potentiometer on 2 NiMHs, the glow is pleasant. Mine hangs by 2 whisker wires I soldered to a bare sample XT-E. It's a good nightstand light to see my water glass.

degarb

Flashlight Enthusiast
The XT-E is one of the good candidates for "no-heatsink" operation. When run with a dialed-down potentiometer on 2 NiMHs, the glow is pleasant. Mine hangs by 2 whisker wires I soldered to a bare sample XT-E. It's a good nightstand light to see my water glass.

I never thought to home make a 2aa direct drive for the kids and bed. Did you measure current? Who has these cheapest on star?

The typical 3aaa 9 led light draws(along with some fixed, built in resistor ) about 11ma from nimh 2aaa. Fine for kid reading light, which is left on all week. Xte should be brighter.

Last edited: