Cryos Illumination's Triple Function Light

Status
Not open for further replies.

creyc

Enlightened
@ DFT

I think you are being a touch sarcastic verging on rude here but maybe its me taking things the wrong way, anyway it need not be the end of the shoot, just pack a couple of spare batteries :)

I think DFT is asking a reasonable question for a light geared towards videography.

Knowing the runtime of your equipment is part and parcel of the trade. If you're filming and your light starts getting dim it changes your exposure and in all likelihood kills the shot. In this case we're talking about thermal capacity, not battery runtime, so popping in a spare battery won't get you back to filming again until the light has cooled.

In many flashlight reviews you'll see reported the relative output versus time, which can vary based on environmental conditions, output mode, or battery specifics so this may not be easy to provide a universal number. Still, it's a very valid question.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
The issue is not the question, but the delivery.

Well, the light weighs 200g. Let's assume a heat capacity of 1.0 Joules per Gram, given that it's some mix of aluminum and copper and battery. At 1500 lumen output, we'll estimate 15W input. If we absolutely ignore the fact that this light emits some amount of heat to the world, we can estimate its rate of temperature rise and get a very conservative shutdown time.

Heat in: 15W
Heat out as photons: About 5W

Heat gain rate: 10W. With 200g @ 1J/g specific heat, it takes 200 joules to raise the light 1C, or 200 watt*seconds.

This means that every 20 seconds, this light (If perfectly insulated) will be about 1C warmer. If it starts at 25C, it would reach 60C and step down after AT LEAST twelve minutes. I find that a light approaching 60C radiates quite a bit of heat to the air, so depending on your conditions I would expect twenty minutes to the total runtime at maximum.

Edit: I am not a thermodynamicist, so any of these numbers, equations, calculations, or conclusions may be wrong. Oh, don't forget wrong assumptions!

ronac

Enlightened
DFT: We've gotten approximately 15 minutes of run time before the light throttles the output. Don't take this number as gospel since the light was held in hand and the results will be different if it was just sitting on a table.

AnAppleSnail: Thanks for the calculations, that's a good first estimation of the temperature rise of the light. Things get trickier as you take convection and radiation into account.

cowsmilk

Newly Enlightened
This is kind of an odd question. I read earlier that helmet use was one of your ideas for this light. Will this light be able to be used in any hazardous atmospheres? I may have missed the it if you already answered it as I skimmed through the pages while at work, so if you have, my apologies for the question. Where I work, I deal with Class 1, Div 1 groups BC and D areas (ethanol/iso-hexane/gaseous and liquid hydrogen) and need a headlamp rated for these areas. I currently have a Princeton tec Eos II, but would love the output of your light.

benben_stone

Enlightened
BTTT

I'm anxious that the funding target won't be met at current rates - if you're sitting on the fence with this light, sign up!!!

GeoBruin

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, so, I guess they're not going to be able to raise the funding to go into full production right off the bat, but surely enough of us demonstrated that we would be willing to buy them that they could start making them and selling them on a small scale right? I feel like that's how most of the light makers around here get started.

EDIT: As I was typing the message above, I received an email from the Indiegogo campaign. It looks like they're going to try their luck on Kickstarter once Kickstarter opens up access to Canadian projects. Apparently the price is going to be reduced as well. I hope they get it this time.

Last edited:

ronac

Enlightened
Hey Everyone!

I'd like to start off by saying thanks to everyone that supported our Campaign. Every pledge helped us get a little closer but unfortunately we couldn't meet our goal. However, an email has been sent to our supporters indicating that we'll be back! We're going to port our campaign over to Kickstarter in September! We will offer the Function flashlight at MORE AGGRESSIVE PRICING. Please stay tuned here, or your email if you have already supported us. Please PM me if you'd like to join our mailing list.

Thanks again!
Ron

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ron! Hope you guys get the funding you need in Kickstarter. With the previous attention garnered on Indiegogo, the Function Flashlight should have no problems getting on the front page or Staff Picks section. Best of luck for your upcoming campaign!

yoyoman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, let us know when the Kickstarter begins. If we all jump in with pledges, it will get noticed and bumped up the list for display.

Status
Not open for further replies.