Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output...

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

Sadly, it doesn't seem that Nichia 219B is an option anymore. That's okay though. This thread has a lot of good information!

Y'all have gotten me interested in the L3 Illumination L10 with Nichia but I have three questions:

1. Which Nichia LED does it use?

That's quite an old light. If they still use the same design as the one I bought a few years ago, it's a Nichia 219A. Both the 219A and 219B are really nice LEDs. The 219B is more efficient. I'm not sure they even produce the 219A anymore. It could be that they still have old stock of the L10 flashlight, in which case it would have the 219A.

2. What are the run-times on the different modes? (I'd use Eneloop Pro but any information is welcome.)

The manual says 150 hrs, 50 hrs, 2.5 hrs, and 1.5 hrs. However, I doubt the highest mode lasts that long at full output.

3. The website has a 3-mode version that eliminates firefly and starts in the 3-lumen low. Anyone with experience have feelings about this option?

Yeah, get the 3-mode version without moonlight. The 4-mode's moonlight mode is way too low to be useful. Cycling through 3-modes is easier than cycling though 4.

Cosmodragoon

Newly Enlightened
Re: Current "Best" single AA light, favoring KISS and long runtimes over high output

That's quite an old light. If they still use the same design as the one I bought a few years ago, it's a Nichia 219A. Both the 219A and 219B are really nice LEDs. The 219B is more efficient. I'm not sure they even produce the 219A anymore. It could be that they still have old stock of the L10 flashlight, in which case it would have the 219A...

Thanks! I just ordered the 3-mode. I don't know how I missed this one when I was hunting for new lights last year. I have a bunch of 1x AAA lights but I like the idea of a little more run time with 1x AA.

I was lucky enough to get some of the Massdrop Brass AAA Pocket Flashlights in Nichia 219B before they switched to 219C. I have a Klarus P20 in 219C. If this is the 219A, will I have the whole family?

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks! I just ordered the 3-mode. I don't know how I missed this one when I was hunting for new lights last year. I have a bunch of 1x AAA lights but I like the idea of a little more run time with 1x AA.

I was lucky enough to get some of the Massdrop Brass AAA Pocket Flashlights in Nichia 219B before they switched to 219C. I have a Klarus P20 in 219C. If this is the 219A, will I have the whole family?
What color did you choose? I'd bought one in arctic white... and the coating was terrible (not anodized--more like spray painted enamel). It came off without much effort. I used a fingernail to scrape off some of it to make it more "uniform." The Nichia 219A tint is OK. But I was surprised how it leans green when next to 219B.

WalkIntoTheLight

Flashlight Enthusiast

What color did you choose? I'd bought one in arctic white... and the coating was terrible (not anodized--more like spray painted enamel). It came off without much effort. I used a fingernail to scrape off some of it to make it more "uniform." The Nichia 219A tint is OK. But I was surprised how it leans green when next to 219B.

IIRC, white is the only color that is painted on. The others are all the color of the anodizing, so won't rub off.

xevious

Flashlight Enthusiast

IIRC, white is the only color that is painted on. The others are all the color of the anodizing, so won't rub off.
:thinking: ah yes... now that you mention it, I remember there was something different about it. Yeah, that's it. Turned out to be less resilient than I expected (didn't think it would be as good as HA III, but at least have some scratch resistance).

Mr. Shawn

Enlightened

Hi Cosmodragoon. I rotate lights throughout the day, and the primary one I've been carrying at night (in pocket of shorts or athletic pants, while awake and asleep) is an orange 4-mode L3 Illumination L10 219 (I think version B), which I ordered back on 12/17/2012, when the lights first came out. I can't provide concrete info about its efficiency, but I usually use it on moonlight or low, so I don't need to recharge its Eneloop at least for a couple weeks on average. Some flashaholics might not find moonlight useful, but I love it when navigating the house at night and for checking on the kids. I am sure many sub-lumen aficionados here would voice a similar affinity for the ultra-low mode of this light and others.

Instead of of purchasing the clip that's offered with the light, I installed a clip from a Streamlight Stylus Pro / Microstream, and the clip stays tight while allowing the light to ride securely in my pocket.

SB Flashlights has this model in black and neutral, so I've been considering also getting a natural model before their stock runs out.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'd say Peak El Capitian.

The El Cap did very well (?**) in my [old] side-by-side moonlight runtime test

** I think... but hard to be sure as QTC output tends to yo-yo, esp. at low lows.

11874335304_cd51afac83_k.jpg

archimedes

Flashaholic

The El Cap did very well (?**) in my [old] side-by-side moonlight runtime test

** I think... but hard to be sure as QTC output tends to yo-yo, esp. at low lows.

Hi, reppans, this reminded me that recently I was looking for some of your old low-output lumen-hour efficiency data and had trouble finding it.

Do you happen to have this all collected and posted somewhere here on CPF ?

If so, could you post or PM me the link(s) ... and if not, would you consider posting a thread for this ?

Thanks, and cheers :)

bykfixer

Flashaholic

While rumaging through my nightstand drawer I stumbled onto a kiss light by Inova. I wish I could recall the model number. (X1?) The twisty 1aa where a twist of the tailcap gives a nice 50 something throwey lumens and a second twist can provide a 6-ish lumen low.
A nice solid light with no bells and whistles.

I think they did an 80 something lumen version too.

Last edited:

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, reppans, this reminded me that recently I was looking for some of your old low-output lumen-hour efficiency data and had trouble finding it.

Do you happen to have this all collected and posted somewhere here on CPF ?

If so, could you post or PM me the link(s) ... and if not, would you consider posting a thread for this ?

Thanks, and cheers :)

Hey Arch,

The pix was from the moonlight test I ran back in Jan '14, but it was done on another forum privately in the PMs (it's still there if you are interested). Never posted it publicly due to lack of low lumen/efficiency interest, but I suppose this thread might qualify so here are the results. I use AAAAs from 9v alkalines to shorten the test, and then extrapolate.

L>R Model Emitter: AAAAhrs/AAequiv/AvgLumens/Lumen-hours on AA alkaline equiv:

MDC XPG2: 80/370/0.45/166
El Cap XPG?: 75/346/0.30*/103 (* est of yoyo)
Quark XML2: 61/281/0.30/84
D25A NW XML1: 47/217/0.25/54
D25A N219: 61/281/0.15/42
Quark XPG2: 75/346/0.20/69
SC52 XML1: 92/424/0.07/30

Note: only the Quarks and ZL are well regulated and able to hold a flat output line. MDC and D25 outputs steadily decline with voltage and so are rough weighted averages from sampling every few hours. I have lots of other firefly (0.10 lumens or less) lights but that level of output is not broadly useful to me so don't test them. The SC52 was only included as I was curious if an overspec runtime result could make-up for its underspec output and approach it's 'best in class' lumen-hours efficiency spec of 170 lumen-hours (500hrs at 0.34 lms).

Last edited:

archimedes

Flashaholic

Hey Arch,

The pix was from the moonlight test I ran back in Jan '14, but it was done on another forum privately in the PMs (it's still there if you are interested). Never posted it publicly due to lack of low lumen/efficiency interest, but I suppose this thread might qualify so here are the results. I use AAAAs from 9v alkalines to shorten the test, and then extrapolate.

Note: only the Quarks and ZL are well regulated and able to hold a flat output line. MDC and D25 outputs steadily decline with voltage and so are rough weighted averages from sampling every few hours. I have lots of other firefly (0.10 lumens or less) lights but that level of output is not broadly useful to me so don't test them. The SC52 was only included as I was curious if an overspec runtime result could make-up for its underspec output and approach it's 'best in class' lumen-hours efficiency spec of 170 lumen-hours (500hrs at 0.34 lms).

That is great info, thank you for posting that here :goodjob:

AVService

Flashlight Enthusiast

While rumaging through my nightstand drawer I stumbled onto a kiss light by Inova. I wish I could recall the model number. (X1?) The twisty 1aa where a twist of the tailcap gives a nice 50 something throwey lumens and a second twist can provide a 6-ish lumen low.
A nice solid light with no bells and whistles.

I think they did an 80 something lumen version too.

i think that was the XS?
I really liked those too but every single one of then that I had and/or gave away died somehow too?

Hey Arch,

Forgive me; I'm not clear on what these numbers mean. Which lights performed "best" and what numbers tell us this?

FLfrk

Newly Enlightened

Forgive me; I'm not clear on what these numbers mean. Which lights performed "best" and what numbers tell us this?

It appears the MDC and El Cap performed the best, with lumen-hours over 100 for both. It looks like the AA equivalent hours of runtime is multiplied by the lumens of output to determine the last number, which is the AA equivalent of hours of runtime per lumen of output.

That's my uneducated interpretation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

It appears the MDC and El Cap performed the best, with lumen-hours over 100 for both. It looks like the AA equivalent hours of runtime is multiplied by the lumens of output to determine the last number, which is the AA equivalent of hours of runtime per lumen of output.

That's my uneducated interpretation. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Yup, correct... and this is just at sub-lumen levels where efficiency tends to vary widely since the driver overhead tends to represent a larger proportion of the power consumption. At low and medium outputs, the lights tend to perform more similarly in terms of lumen-hours since driver overhead becomes immaterial to the LED consumption... then LED efficiency becomes more important. As I mentioned above somewhere, the SC52s worst in test lumen-hours is mostly due to it being so dim (all driver power consumption at firefly and below outputs) - it's plenty efficient on the brighter modes. My issue is that ZL exaggerates its specs so much.... esp. among this peer group.

In plain English, for example, the Malkoff MDC AA ran for 80hrs on a 600ma alkaline AAAA (from a 9v); which is equivalent to about ~370 hrs if we were to extrapolate that to regular 2800ma alkaline AA; the weighted average output for the test was about ~0.45 lumens; so an alkaline AA 'lumen-hours' of efficiency calculates to ~166 lumen-hours (or 370hr * 0.45lms).

However 'best' is always in the eye of the beholder - while the MDC had the best moonlight efficiency in terms of lumen-hours, and the ZL had the best total runtime, neither are runtime efficient for MY unique usage due to their mode spacing. The MDCs next lowest mode is 9lms when I only need/want 3lms (nearly half my usage), and the ZL's 3x firefly ('starlight') modes are all too dim to be useful to me so I forfeit the triple-digit runtime benefits of sub-lumen modes altogether. The Peak's infinitely variable QTC can theoretically dial in the ideal minimal output for every occasion, but in practice it's behaves like a 'sponge' that expands slowly over time creeping up significantly in brightness/power consumption without my eyes ever noticing. Add to that, we all have different tastes in terms of aesthetics, size/weight, UI, tint, ... etc, etc. and the 'Best' will be different for everyone.

Last edited:

gurdygurds

Flashlight Enthusiast

Great info and a lovely post Uncle Reppans!
Yup, correct... and this is just at sub-lumen levels where efficiency tends to vary widely since the driver overhead tends to represent a larger proportion of the power consumption. At low and medium outputs, the lights tend to perform more similarly in terms of lumen-hours since driver overhead becomes immaterial to the LED consumption... then LED efficiency becomes more important. As I mentioned above somewhere, the SC52s worst in test lumen-hours is mostly due to it being so dim (all driver power consumption at firefly and below outputs) - it's plenty efficient on the brighter modes. My issue is that ZL exaggerates its specs so much.... esp. among this peer group.

In plain English, for example, the Malkoff MDC AA ran for 80hrs on a 600ma alkaline AAAA (from a 9v); which is equivalent to about ~370 hrs if we were to extrapolate that to regular 2800ma alkaline AA; the weighted average output for the test was about ~0.45 lumens; so an alkaline AA 'lumen-hours' of efficiency calculates to ~166 lumen-hours (or 370hr * 0.45lms).

However 'best' is always in the eye of the beholder - while the MDC had the best moonlight efficiency in terms of lumen-hours, and the ZL had the best total runtime, neither are runtime efficient for MY unique usage due to their mode spacing. The MDCs next lowest mode is 9lms when I only need/want 3lms (nearly half my usage), and the ZL's 3x firefly ('starlight') modes are all too dim to be useful to me so I forfeit the triple-digit runtime benefits of sub-lumen modes altogether. The Peak's infinitely variable QTC can theoretically dial in the ideal minimal output for every occasion, but in practice it's behaves like a 'sponge' that expands slowly over time creeping up significantly in brightness/power consumption without my eyes ever noticing. Add to that, we all have different tastes in terms of aesthetics, size/weight, UI, tint, ... etc, etc. and the 'Best' will be different for everyone.

reppans

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thank you Arch and Gurdy... much appreciated.

I love this place.

Many thanks FLfrk and Reppans for the excellent explanations and hard work.
- JI